ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Media Center>Macs suck...need help
displacedinMN 07:27 PM 10-04-2022
We have M1 macs at school. They can handle two monitors.

I NEED THREE

Computer monitor/second monitor/Promethian board

along with some USB ports and my 10 key.

What have you used to extend your macs onto more screens. Hopefully 100 or less.

Thanks
[Reply]
ScareCrowe 12:06 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Yeah, that's not a Mac failing.

Your tech guy was a dick.
Those aren't mutually exclusive. The tech guy definitely sounds like a dick. Releasing a device with the power to run multiple monitors but not including the hardware in an attempt to get you to buy an upgraded machine is a Mac failing IMO.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:08 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by ScareCrowe:
Those aren't mutually exclusive. The tech guy definitely sounds like a dick. Releasing a device with the power to run multiple monitors but not including the hardware in an attempt to get you to buy an upgraded machine is a Mac failing IMO.
If you need more than 2 monitors, don't buy a model that doesn't support it? Seems like a pretty simple premise.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:24 PM 10-06-2022
FTR, I'm just busting balls.

I'm an unabashed Mac lover but I haven't always been. They earned my loyalty over the years by producing useful, stable, and (mostly) fit for purpose devices that don't require constant fixing.
[Reply]
Fish 01:49 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Macs are for those who don't/can't actually use a computer for useful things. :-)
Ehh. Not really. There are lots of things that are quite a bit easier on a Mac. Many software developers and computer science folks use Mac. The majority of graphic designers use Mac. It's built on Unix, which makes it very handy for a lot of tech stuff. And the hardware performance of the new Apple silicon is insanely impressive. MDM capabilities make it pretty easy to manage from an administration point of view, compared to Windows. An increasing amount of people at work are starting to choose Mac over Windows.

Yes, Apple caters to the snobby cunts way too much. But their hardware is absolutely legit.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:53 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
Ehh. Not really. There are lots of things that are quite a bit easier on a Mac. Many software developers and computer science folks use Mac. The majority of graphic designers use Mac. It's built on Unix, which makes it very handy for a lot of tech stuff. And the hardware performance of the new Apple silicon is insanely impressive. MDM capabilities make it pretty easy to manage from an administration point of view, compared to Windows. An increasing amount of people at work are starting to choose Mac over Windows.

Yes, Apple caters to the snobby cunts way too much. But their hardware is absolutely legit.
I work in IT and most of my most truly tech-savvy colleagues use Mac. The GUI may be simple but there's a lot of power behind it. And like you said, it's really easy to manage.
[Reply]
ScareCrowe 02:12 PM 10-06-2022
I work in IT and most of my most truly tech-savvy colleagues use Mac. The GUI may be simple but there's a lot of power behind it. And like you said, it's really easy to manage.
Which is honestly probably the issue here. The IT guy knows Apple products will be easier for him to manage. But he probably also doesn't have the budget for Mac Ultras for the entire school. So he has to convince them they don't really need multiple monitors.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 04:07 PM 10-06-2022
Which is honestly probably the issue here. The IT guy knows Apple products will be easier for him to manage. But he probably also doesn't have the budget for Mac Ultras for the entire school. So he has to convince them they don't really need multiple monitors.
I would also guess most of my colleagues do have not a lot of experience with Windows. Just Macs. They all have a Iphones, Ipads. I hate Iphones.

I also think there was a parent in the past that was in IT security person. He claimed and pushed the idea that macs were safer and virus free. Same reason why we have to have "fucking 16 character passwords"
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:13 PM 10-06-2022
Talked to the new tech person today. She understands my frustration and will see if there is something she can do.
[Reply]
Fish 10:05 PM 10-06-2022
It very well could simply be a lack of knowledge and CYA. The previous Intel based Macs for the last decade plus could handle multiple external monitors just fine. And it's kinda silly to think that newer more expensive updated tech would remove that capability. Our environment has provided Dell docks for Mac users that want multiple displays because it's a really cheap solution. That worked great for us during the entire life of the Intel Macs. But our hardware purchasing tech, who is not a Mac user, simply assumed that new Apple silicon based Macs would also be capable of that. Which resulted in a whole bunch of users who previously spent a shit ton of money on nice external monitors only to discover they couldn't use more than one as an extended desktop on their shiny new $1500 Mac. Apple didn't do much to mention this change either, other than burying it in the fine print.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:12 PM 10-06-2022
:-)

I know one thing that is useful.

12:53 up 181 days
Another thing - my daily driver is a 2013 Macbook Pro. Still works great.
[Reply]
Fish 10:36 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by Razaele:
Another thing - my daily driver is a 2013 Macbook Pro. Still works great.
That Macbook Pro Retina line from mid-2012 to mid-2015 was probably Apple's most successful line of laptops. Those models were really great. Awesome form factor, with lots of available ports. I still have 4-5 of those I use quite often for testing. Unfortunately, most can no longer run the most recent version of macOS. 2015 is the current cutoff for recent macOS.
[Reply]
Fish 10:43 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Talked to the new tech person today. She understands my frustration and will see if there is something she can do.
The only thing she can do is provide you with a DisplayLink solution like I've described. Or an Ultra/Max laptop. I'm afraid there's no alternative, my dude. Hopefully they'll just pay for it.
[Reply]
Eleazar 11:01 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
That Macbook Pro Retina line from mid-2012 to mid-2015 was probably Apple's most successful line of laptops. Those models were really great. Awesome form factor, with lots of available ports. I still have 4-5 of those I use quite often for testing. Unfortunately, most can no longer run the most recent version of macOS. 2015 is the current cutoff for recent macOS.
Yeah, I can't get the new version of the OS, but on a device that's nearly 10 years old I think that's acceptable. I'll buy another top of the line MBP when the time comes. Buy well, buy once.
[Reply]
Fish 11:28 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by Razaele:
Yeah, I can't get the new version of the OS, but on a device that's nearly 10 years old I think that's acceptable. I'll buy another top of the line MBP when the time comes. Buy well, buy once.
10 years is basically double what most in the industry would consider average life out of a single computer. At my employment, we have all Windows/Mac computers on a 4yr life cycle. Past that, it must be replaced, outside of very strict use cases. That prevents a lot of cost on the late end of the life of a computer. But, yeah that's another reason I like Macs. They can last much longer than their anticipated lifespan...

Like I said, Apple has some of the best hardware design engineers in the business. Their hardware is completely proprietary, so they gain an incredible advantage because of that in regards to drivers and support. One that Microsoft would absolutely cry for. Being able to program/code only for a very small and specific range of hardware for your operating system has incredible advantages.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:28 AM 10-07-2022
and the damn thing does not have a 10 key
(yes being a bitch)

entering grade scores is easier on a 10 key. So a 10key pad from a long time ago.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up