Page 877 of 934
« First < 377777827867873874875876877 878879880881887927 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:14 PM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Not investing but a finance question for all the geniuses who frequent CP!

I really need some sort of finance class/read as I work on becoming an administrator. I'm almost there and I think I'll pass my tests with a job waiting for me, but my business background is next to zero. I went to college for 7 years and never had a SINGLE, not one, business class. I am all science through and through. I have a much stronger clinical side than most administrators in healthcare but the financial side is lacking. I can read our financial reports and such but it just doesn't feel as meaningful as I think it should.

Any thoughts on a good read to start with?
Have you considered looking at courses through places like Coursera?
[Reply]
lewdog 08:16 PM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Have you considered looking at courses through places like Coursera?
Never heard of it. I'll start googling.

Thanks.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:20 PM 07-13-2022
Never heard of it. I'll start googling.

Thanks.
I haven't done any sort of business finance class through them, but I've taken a few SQL and Python courses which were well done. It all depends on the actual provider, but they have reviews and sample content in many cases. Seems like it's around $50/month, though it's been a while.

Edx and Udemy are others I hear a lot about but haven't personally done.
[Reply]
Halfcan 08:25 PM 07-13-2022

I really need some sort of finance class/read as I work on becoming an administrator. I'm almost there and I think I'll pass my tests with a job waiting for me, but my business background is next to zero. I went to college for 7 years and never had a SINGLE, not one, business class. I am all science through and through. I have a much stronger clinical side than most administrators in healthcare but the financial side is lacking. I can read our financial reports and such but it just doesn't feel as meaningful as I think it should.

Check out the Great Courses collection.

https://www.wondrium.com/lp/t3/tgc-c...xoCpH0QAvD_BwE

You can get these for free at your local library. These are college-level courses taught by experts. I have done dozens of these just to improve my general knowledge.
[Reply]
scho63 08:29 PM 07-13-2022

I would work backwards from what qualifications an administrator has and what job listings for one look like.

That may help you narrow your focus and find the best targets.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:05 PM 07-13-2022
I think health care administration is a different breed of cat than like managerial accounting or corporate finance coursework.

I would look there. I looked at audible and there is some stuff there. Maybe listen to a few books in the general field to get some background and then get into the technical side.

I haven't done any sort of business finance class through them, but I've taken a few SQL and Python courses which were well done. It all depends on the actual provider, but they have reviews and sample content in many cases. Seems like it's around $50/month, though it's been a while.

Some of their stuff used to be free.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:25 PM 07-14-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Some of their stuff used to be free.
You're right, and it looks like it still is at a glance. I can't exactly recall why mine wasn't. It was an actual certificate program through a university, so maybe that's why it cost a little.

Regardless, I definitely prefer courses rather than books, personally. I learn a lot more when I have to do stuff with it.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 01:59 PM 07-14-2022
I've used Udemy for several things. It can be quite good. I'm fairly certain there are courses for taking your series 6, etc. I'd imagine Lew can find something that fits.

They have sales about as frequently as that local furniture place that's been having the going out of business sale for the last 15 years.
[Reply]
scho63 02:41 PM 07-28-2022
Originally Posted by scho63:
The scary thing about INTEL is that they have been making poor strategic decisions and I don't see new ideas that can turn this giant ship around.

I get the "major investments" for the future but I'm unsure if they can change the direction as the competitors eat their lunch.
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Canceled my buy on Intel- thanks for the advice. :-)
You're welcome! :-)
[Reply]
lewdog 07:16 AM 08-04-2022
Always amazing growth potential for a small amount of money if you start early.
Attached: 177C0596-CB56-41F0-8389-8EB7DB41AD27.jpg (77.2 KB) 
[Reply]
myselff77 08:05 AM 08-04-2022
Always amazing growth potential for a small amount of money if you start early.
Had a high school teacher tell us a similar line of thought that if you invest $2000/year when you are done with school, you will be a millionaire when you retire. Probably the most valuable thing I learned in high school.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:24 AM 08-04-2022
That will forever be one of my major regrets. I didn't start investing until I reached my late twenties.

Not only did I miss 10-ish years of compounding interest, but also that sweet market from about 2009-2020.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:32 PM 08-04-2022
So, anybody doing any Bonds?

My understanding is if you’re going to trade Bonds you maximize returns in value by doing it right before the interest rate rolls over. I don’t have a ton on of insight into what the fed is going to do, but I think, at least anecdotally the economy is slowing a bit. My uneducated guess is we’re a ways from the top, but who knows. Elections and stuff.

But beyond trading for value, the rate on Bonds might be beginning to be something to look at for capturing the interest. For so long money was cheap and it didn’t matter but surely that’s going the other way.

I Bonds are now at 9.62%. That’s nutty. I think I’ll see what October brings and at least get my kids some money earning a return.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:11 AM 08-05-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
So, anybody doing any Bonds?

My understanding is if you’re going to trade Bonds you maximize returns in value by doing it right before the interest rate rolls over. I don’t have a ton on of insight into what the fed is going to do, but I think, at least anecdotally the economy is slowing a bit. My uneducated guess is we’re a ways from the top, but who knows. Elections and stuff.

But beyond trading for value, the rate on Bonds might be beginning to be something to look at for capturing the interest. For so long money was cheap and it didn’t matter but surely that’s going the other way.

I Bonds are now at 9.62%. That’s nutty. I think I’ll see what October brings and at least get my kids some money earning a return.
I was banging the drum for I bonds late last year, and my wife and I maxed out what we could buy, which is a relatively low limit. Nonetheless, I'm very happy that I did it. If we didn't buy the I bonds the money would have probably been in the market and we would have lost 15 percent of it. As it stands, we'll make 9 percent, so that's a 24 percent swing.

I'm happy today, though only in the short term. ATCO was my sixth-largest holding at the end of last year (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...#post16043631], and today it skyrocketed by 23 percent. However, it skyrocketed because apparently there's talk of it going private, and I don't like that. It's a great dividend stock for me that I've held for a long time.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:05 PM 08-06-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
That will forever be one of my major regrets. I didn't start investing until I reached my late twenties.

Not only did I miss 10-ish years of compounding interest, but also that sweet market from about 2009-2020.
I am in the same boat because I didn't finish college until I was almost 27. I didn't have the means to invest while going to school but I started pumping those investment accounts heavy when I hit 30.
[Reply]
Page 877 of 934
« First < 377777827867873874875876877 878879880881887927 > Last »
Up