ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 39 of 88
« First < 293536373839 4041424349 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Xavier Worthy Thread*****
Dante84 09:24 PM 04-25-2024
More to come!

Text from an AFC GM on the #Chiefs getting Xavier Worthy: “FU** me” https://t.co/IjLQ7xeN37

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) April 26, 2024

Xavier Worthy - WR, UT

- Early career production
- Dynamic threat downfield & after the catch
- Elite speed & start-stop ability
- Fluid mover w/ good route running chops
- Ball tracking is A+

Not entirely sure why the vibe isn't higher when talking about him in the WR class. pic.twitter.com/dv3JjdyZgh

— Matt Lane (@Matty_KCSN) February 26, 2024

The only one Worthy.

With the 28th pick in the NFL Draft, we have selected @XavierWorthy! pic.twitter.com/enRBDQAVA5

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) April 26, 2024

I'll write something fresh about Worthy tomorrow morning now that he's a Chief to lay out how he's more than speed, but for now here's an excerpt from article linked in the below tweet... https://t.co/EcW7QtUrFF pic.twitter.com/811ahCEfMS

— Seth Keysor (@RealMNchiefsfan) April 26, 2024

Welcome to Kansas City Xavier Worthy

Here’s how the draft party reacted to X’s name being called #HookEm | #Texas pic.twitter.com/eCnu8W7Rrb

— Cory Mose (@Cory_Mose) April 26, 2024

Kansas City Chiefs add some serious speed in Xavier Worthy https://t.co/ZbhUUQwa32 pic.twitter.com/8D6v8ecd4j

— Reception Perception (@RecepPerception) April 26, 2024

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:27 AM 04-26-2024
Originally Posted by Chieftain:
And watching the draft podcast over at Arrowhead Addict, their guys also weren't pleased with the pick, including Verderame. It was the instinctive natural reaction at the time. Biggest criticism was his thin frame. Now, he may add 10 pounds of muscle over the summer. It is possible.
I still believe McConkey was a safer pick. But Worthy has bigger upside, no doubt. Can stretch the field more. He did play with a broken hand in 2022 which caused his numbers to dip. Has been productive in all his years in college and has great acceleration after the catch, similar to Rice, with a faster takeoff speed. Played in a big name school. Seems book smart. There's a lot to like when sitting back and reviewing the pick. But as they always say, best ability is availability. The NFL is brutal, it's physical. Especially for a receiver.
Funny how differently people see the world...

I honestly think Worthy is a floor pick rather than a ceiling one. I don't see a ton of room for added growth with him. His route running is already polished. His speed is what it is. His size isn't going to change appreciably. I don't see much ceiling left in him at all - this is the guy he's going to be and what will ultimately impact his productivity is scheme and opportunity.

That will come, for better or worse, fairly early on in his career.

Someone like McConkey has more upside to me because I think there's a translation question that hasn't been answered. I don't think he's been used in as broad a manner as some of his skills suggest he could be used. I think he COULD (not will, but could) be a Z receiver type based on traits and a frame that I think can carry a little more good weight than it has.

So I actually see Ladd as being a higher upside pick and Worthy as being a safer one. Because I think Worthy's floor is as a better version of Hardman. Maybe a Marquis Goodwin sort? And he has had a heck of a career even if he was never a true impact player.

I think Worthy slots in as being between Goodwin and DeSean Jackson. That's not a HUGE outcome curve. Whereas i think McConkey could be anywhere between Skyy Moore and CeeDee Lamb.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:27 AM 04-26-2024
Working out of town so didn't get a chance to chime in much. Fucking stoked for this kid. Going to be fun watching him and Hollywood on the field at the same time.
[Reply]
carcosa 10:28 AM 04-26-2024
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
jesus christ :-)

Some of those moves are fucking NASTY
[Reply]
O.city 10:28 AM 04-26-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Funny how differently people see the world...

I honestly think Worthy is a floor pick rather than a ceiling one. I don't see a ton of room for added growth with him. His route running is already polished. His speed is what it is. His size isn't going to change appreciably. I don't see much ceiling left in him at all - this is the guy he's going to be and what will ultimately impact his productivity is scheme and opportunity.

That will come, for better or worse, fairly early on in his career.

Someone like McConkey has more upside to me because I think there's a translation question that hasn't been answered. I don't think he's been used in as broad a manner as some of his skills suggest he could be used. I think he COULD (not will, but could) be a Z receiver type based on traits and a frame that I think can carry a little more good weight than it has.

So I actually see Ladd as being a higher upside pick and Worthy as being a safer one. Because I think Worthy's floor is as a better version of Hardman. Maybe a Marquis Goodwin sort? And he has had a heck of a career even if he was never a true impact player.

I think Worthy slots in as being between Goodwin and DeSean Jackson. That's not a HUGE outcome curve. Whereas i think McConkey could be anywhere between Skyy Moore and CeeDee Lamb.
At the end of the first though....isn't that probably a smarter pick?

Those guys with a wide dispersion of outcomes usually are 2nd rounders.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:30 AM 04-26-2024
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
this was the route that got me excited more than the 40 time.
Yeah, a good whip route is a thing of beauty. Keeping those in your pocket with 'Reek on 3rd and gotta have it was just easy money.

Now with Worthy what may take a little time is learning the option routes. Because most of the time a whip route is a choice route. You have that in your pocket w/ a slant or drag or post/corner a simple dagger; something depending on what the defense shows.

That's what made Hill so dangerous. If you sold out for the whip, he was gonna kill you with something else. And if you dared him to beat you on the whip route, he would.

So how long will it take to install the full set of option/choice routes that will really let Worthy see what he has to work with and take full advantage of those whip/corndog sort of concepts?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:32 AM 04-26-2024
Originally Posted by O.city:
At the end of the first though....isn't that probably a smarter pick?

Those guys with a wide dispersion of outcomes usually are 2nd rounders.
Yes.

I didn't like McConkey in the first much. Too much downside there and ultimately I don't have THAT much confidence in the upside. I mean he's a pretty clear 9.0(D) sort of player - the odds of him hitting that ceiling are pretty remote.

Whereas Worthy may only be a 8.0(B). Yeah, I'll take the latter over the former.
[Reply]
neech 10:32 AM 04-26-2024
This was posted on the Bills forum. :-)

Originally Posted by :
Un-*****-believable.

We just handed the Chiefs THAT player?!

We just handed the Chiefs the fastest player in combine history instead of taking him ourselves?

We just facilitated a Chiefs WR corps of Hollywood, Worthy, Rice?

Perfect. Just perfect.

But we hadddd to have that 3rd round pick, right?

Ridiculous. We're going to regret this. Why on EARTH would we help the Chiefs?

I just....Goddamnit. *****. *****.

[Reply]
Imon Yourside 10:32 AM 04-26-2024
Originally Posted by bigjosh:
I hear ya. Im alot higher on worthy than you, but i really liked Legette. Ultimately i dont think legette ends up as productive as worthy now though because he has been banished to the panthers.

I definitely wasnt as high on AD mitchell as you though.

Im hyped about this offense overhaul this offseason!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same for me but I'm JAG on a message board. Even if we did get the wrong X who can argue with the results. We do know our QB can make Chicken salad out of ya you know. :-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:33 AM 04-26-2024
Originally Posted by carcosa:
Some of those moves are fucking NASTY
I'll see if I can find the seam route he ran that's probably my favorite one. Not a thing he did was something you'd notice if you weren't looking at him and it ALL mattered.

EDIT: Okay, here are a couple of them

This one's neat as hell because it's him using his speed to buy space before he actually uses his speed. He slows down his route into that soft spot in the middle, the safety sees it and then he hits the afterburners once the safety sinks a little and just blows past him. And the ball tracking is just {chef's kiss}. I'm sure a lot of y'all played receiver as a kid. I was actually pretty damn good at catching the ball over my shoulder - I could do some of that stuff. And that's why I know it's really damn hard because that requires some insane body control to pull off. If you can't do it, you don't realize how much goes into making it actually work. I cannot say enough about how hard it is picking up a ball directly over your head like that and adjusting to it while it's in the air without tripping over your own damn feet. It's just awesome stuff there.

And here's the other route I was thinking of; not actually a seam - deep out.

Very very subtle footwork to prevent him from losing speed but also every one of those moves is getting a reaction from the DB. He has the kid in a blender without it being terribly obvious. Then he plants that foot and cuts as soon as he sees the DB open his hips just the smallest amount when he reacted one step of hard acceleration off a bit of a hesitation move.

That's the 'Receiver shit' i talked about Hill having when we 'converted' him to a receiver from a RB. Nah - we didn't. He was a receiver already. Guys that do that stuff are receivers even when they aren't. Because it's innate. It's WAY too fast and way too subtle to think your way through it. And there are too many variables to plan it in advance. Your body is just doing it.

Moore is the perfect example of a guy who has NONE of that ability. He'll have some pre-route plan and if that doesn't work for him, he's done. He has no feel for running the route. He can't adapt, he can't improvise. He's gonna try the same foot fire and exaggerated (read: Slow) nonsense that pro level defenders don't bite on and when that doesn't work he's just out of sequence with the patterns and out of the play altogether.

Worthy does receiver shit. He has a really nice feel for the position.
[Reply]
Warpaint69 10:34 AM 04-26-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yeah, a good whip route is a thing of beauty. Keeping those in your pocket with 'Reek on 3rd and gotta have it was just easy money.

Now with Worthy what may take a little time is learning the option routes. Because most of the time a whip route is a choice route. You have that in your pocket w/ a slant or drag or post/corner a simple dagger; something depending on what the defense shows.

That's what made Hill so dangerous. If you sold out for the whip, he was gonna kill you with something else. And if you dared him to beat you on the whip route, he would.

So how long will it take to install the full set of option/choice routes that will really let Worthy see what he has to work with and take full advantage of those whip/corndog sort of concepts?
Seems like a sharp guy. Watched him on the Rich Eisen show. Said his goal in meeting with teams was to show he had the smarts to go with that speed. Said, when teams had him go to the board and break down a play on film of himself, he also broke down other positions as well on their look on the play etc.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:34 AM 04-26-2024
.... Hell yeah!

Was the first "my guy" of this draft season for me.

I think he's our Desean Jackson moving forward. I understand that might be his ceiling, but I think he landed in the perfect spot to reach said ceiling.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 10:35 AM 04-26-2024
Originally Posted by neech:
This was posted on the Bills forum. :-)
Someone should have told them they can have Skyy when he gets cut.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:40 AM 04-26-2024
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
this was the route that got me excited more than the 40 time.
Yeah, that's.... pretty much indefensible.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 10:42 AM 04-26-2024
I know you can't play the game being afraid of injuries, but I can't help but cringe when I read about Veach extolling Worthy's ability in the return game. 165 lb guy returning kicks or punts against 240 pound linebackers running full speed? That's a lot of punishment to absorb.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:44 AM 04-26-2024
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
I know you can't play the game being afraid of injuries, but I can't help but cringe when I read about Veach extolling Worthy's ability in the return game. 165 lb guy returning kicks or punts against 240 pound linebackers running full speed? That's a lot of punishment to absorb.
You gotta take into consideration the new kickoff rules. Guys like Worthy and KT will have real opportunity to make a difference there.
[Reply]
Page 39 of 88
« First < 293536373839 4041424349 > Last »
Up