ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>First round WR
DJ's left nut 10:25 AM 11-16-2022
Who would have to slip for you to be willing to make that move over DL or OT?

I think a lot of people like Jordan Addison but if we're sitting on the clock and Jaxson Smith-Njigba is on the board, I think I'm making that move.

He was an absolute monster last season and was projected as WR1 in this draft and a potential top 5 pick. He's been battling hamstring injuries all season.

I think he's a potential game-changer and at worst, an absolute monster of an X receiver. Maybe not a true 'burner' but he's very physical, exceptionally strong in his route runner and very good in short areas.

He reminds me quite a bit of Brandon Aiyuk. He's a perfect complement to an athletic monster like Toney and would presumably allow us to move on from JJSS and reallocate that cap space elsewhere.

This is the kind of exercise that has me leaning towards "just take the best player you can get..." as I do most years. Because with the number of keep/walk decisions we have at several key areas, we can shell-game just about any decision we make to ensure that all bases are covered.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:56 PM 11-16-2022
You've got Toney, Skyy, and MVS under contract.

I like Watson a lot, actually, though he doesn't get as many snaps.

You could pay Juju, and be in super shape.

We have OT issues, and pass rusher issues.

The way I see it, we're going to have to draft one, and pay the other. If we take WR in the first, we'll have to pay both.

Just doesn't seem like an efficient usage of cap space.
[Reply]
JPH83 12:55 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
(whispers)
Quentin. Johnson. Who won't be available
(/whispers)
Yeah, he looks legit but also drafted way earlier than us as you say.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:09 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
No. Guys, just no.

They went with the WR by committee approach.

Stick with it.
Like Duncan said, WRBC almost requires that you continually replenish the committee through the draft. Not necessarily with high draft picks mind you but draft picks nonetheless.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 07:32 AM 11-17-2022
I'm OK with a 1st Rd WR but please, no pipsqueaks
[Reply]
OKchiefs 07:58 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
I'm OK with a 1st Rd WR but please, no pipsqueaks
Be prepared for 5'10" 175 lb Josh Downs as your top Chiefs WR prospect.
[Reply]
O.city 08:41 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Choosing not to pay out the wazoo for high-end WR talent actually makes MORE of a point for investing draft resources in it, IMO.

I mean, in a world where they let Smith-Schuster walk, adding another young guy into the pipeline who has high upside makes a lot of sense, no?
Nah.

I mean, a 3rd rounder? Sure.

I guess it depends on who was to fall there, but especially with the Toney addition, I'm just not so inclined to do that.
[Reply]
O.city 08:50 AM 11-17-2022
It comes down finances. Yeah, the WR market has exploded a bit, but you have your guys that fall thru the cracks a bit ala JJSS.

I've seen Andy and company squeeze value and production out of those types of WR's his entire career and now especially with Mahomes.

The opposite is true of the DL so I feel like it's a better spot to invest resources.

But it seems like a real chance to just go more BPA so if it's a WR, so be it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:55 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
I'm not Canadian! Worse than that. But yeah I'm sorry, I'm probably gonna keep doing this.
Oh no.

NO!

Folks, we've got a damn Limey in here! Who let this dude in?!?!?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:00 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
You've got Toney, Skyy, and MVS under contract.

I like Watson a lot, actually, though he doesn't get as many snaps.

You could pay Juju, and be in super shape.

We have OT issues, and pass rusher issues.

The way I see it, we're going to have to draft one, and pay the other. If we take WR in the first, we'll have to pay both.

Just doesn't seem like an efficient usage of cap space.
But you 'paid' JuJu to be in super shape and then took him out of the discussion regarding 'draft or pay'. That's kinda my point.

WR
DE
OT

All of these are pressing needs (as JJSS is a free agent). And yes, we'll presumptively need to pay 1, draft 2. Or maaaybe pay 2 and draft 1.

But with the WR market being batshit last year, if the 'BPA' is a WR vs. OT or DE, aren't you better served choosing to draft the WR?

I'm not saying it's a given where we need to TARGET the position. But if the board falls in a way where you have a prospect at WR who's just better than the available prospects at DE and OT, I think you're better served taking the WR and using a 2nd day pick on the DE (which I think you'll be able to do effectively) and just using the JJSS money to buy yourself an OT.

So my question is ultimately - who's that guy? Would you need him to be a LOT better than the OT or DE?

I'm thinking maybe I wouldn't.
[Reply]
O.city 09:20 AM 11-17-2022
You'd theoretically know your LT "purchase" at that point as you'd be past FA.

At the end of the first I wouldn't have a problem taking a WR. Hell, I think going BPA back there is always the option as your just swinging at a piņata blindfolded there anyway.

The way it usually falls, I would think you could get a pretty good RT prospect there that could potentially transition over to LT if you needed him to, but they may opt to go to FA for a RT>
[Reply]
kccrow 09:33 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
But you 'paid' JuJu to be in super shape and then took him out of the discussion regarding 'draft or pay'. That's kinda my point.

WR
DE
OT

All of these are pressing needs (as JJSS is a free agent). And yes, we'll presumptively need to pay 1, draft 2. Or maaaybe pay 2 and draft 1.

But with the WR market being batshit last year, if the 'BPA' is a WR vs. OT or DE, aren't you better served choosing to draft the WR?

I'm not saying it's a given where we need to TARGET the position. But if the board falls in a way where you have a prospect at WR who's just better than the available prospects at DE and OT, I think you're better served taking the WR and using a 2nd day pick on the DE (which I think you'll be able to do effectively) and just using the JJSS money to buy yourself an OT.

So my question is ultimately - who's that guy? Would you need him to be a LOT better than the OT or DE?

I'm thinking maybe I wouldn't.
It really depends on the talent that's sitting there if we're just sitting and taking what comes to us.

I mean, if Cedrick Tillman fell to that spot, I'd have a hard time passing.

But if I'm looking at where things are projected I don't really think there's going to be a WR there that's going to trump DE or DT for me. I also think it's going to be a strong 2nd round at WR again.

I'm pretty high on Gervon Dexter at DT. I'm not sure where he ultimately ends up but if he maintains that bottom of 1 projection he has now then I'm all aboard that train.

That said, the game changes if you're attacking the draft and that's wholly dependent on the LT situation.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:14 AM 11-17-2022
Another thing to consider is proportional investment.

Toney was a '21 first rounder.
Moore is a '22 second rounder.
MVS is under contract.
Watson is on a cheap deal and would most likely come back on a cheap deal.
Juju you have to make a decision on.

Do we really need to invest another first rounder or high pick when there are other needs, and we'll be picking late again?

I don't think so.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 10:47 AM 11-17-2022
WR is one of the least consistent positions when it comes to elite talent and draft slot. First round receivers bust at an equal rate of day 2 and 3 receivers hitting. Unless you have your pick of the top guy on the board, you're better off drafting multiple guys later in the draft than going all in on a first round guy.

Top ten leaders in receiving yards this year:

Tyreek - 4th
Justin Jefferson - 1st
Stefon Diggs - 5th
Jaylen Waddle - 1st (Top 10)
Cooper Kupp - 3rd
Davante Adams - 2nd
Travis Kelce - 3rd :-)
Terry McLaurin - 2nd
AJ Brown - 2nd
CeeDee Lamb - 1st

If Jamaar Chase isn't injured, he's probably on this list, and was top 10.

For the record, here are the next 10:

11. Christian Kirk - 2nd
12. Mike Evans - 1st (Top 10)
13. Chris Olave - 1st
14. Tyler Lockett - 3rd
15. JuJu Smith-Schuster - 2nd
16. Ja'Marr Chase - 1st (Top 10)
17. Michael Pittman - 2nd
18. Amari Cooper - 1st (Top 10)
19. DK Metcalf - 2nd
20. Brandon Aiyuk - 1st

Fewer than half the top 20 receiving yards leaders were drafted in the first round. There's no point, unless you're getting Chase or Jefferson, and even then... I'll give you:

Henry Ruggs
Jerry Jeudy
Jalen Reagor
Corey Coleman
Josh Doctson
Lquon Treadwell
N'Keal Harry
Rashod Bateman
[Reply]
OKchiefs 11:05 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
WR is one of the least consistent positions when it comes to elite talent and draft slot. First round receivers bust at an equal rate of day 2 and 3 receivers hitting. Unless you have your pick of the top guy on the board, you're better off drafting multiple guys later in the draft than going all in on a first round guy.

Top ten leaders in receiving yards this year:

Tyreek - 4th
Justin Jefferson - 1st
Stefon Diggs - 5th
Jaylen Waddle - 1st (Top 10)
Cooper Kupp - 3rd
Davante Adams - 2nd
Travis Kelce - 3rd :-)
Terry McLaurin - 2nd
AJ Brown - 2nd
CeeDee Lamb - 1st

If Jamaar Chase isn't injured, he's probably on this list, and was top 10.

For the record, here are the next 10:

11. Christian Kirk - 2nd
12. Mike Evans - 1st (Top 10)
13. Chris Olave - 1st
14. Tyler Lockett - 3rd
15. JuJu Smith-Schuster - 2nd
16. Ja'Marr Chase - 1st (Top 10)
17. Michael Pittman - 2nd
18. Amari Cooper - 1st (Top 10)
19. DK Metcalf - 2nd
20. Brandon Aiyuk - 1st

Fewer than half the top 20 receiving yards leaders were drafted in the first round. There's no point, unless you're getting Chase or Jefferson, and even then... I'll give you:

Henry Ruggs
Jerry Jeudy
Jalen Reagor
Corey Coleman
Josh Doctson
Lquon Treadwell
N'Keal Harry
Rashod Bateman
So in other words, the first round produces nearly half of all top receivers and the other 50% comes from the other 6 rounds? Sure seems like the first round is still your best bet then.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:09 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Oh no.

NO!

Folks, we've got a damn Limey in here! Who let this dude in?!?!?
I almost outed myself by loitering on the occasional soccer related thread, pretty amazed I lasted this long. My dad's a dual-citizen which partially explains me slipping under the radar.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up