ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Hot take. The Chiefs don't make a major FA splash in 2023.
Direckshun 09:08 AM 11-15-2022
I'm looking over free agency for this coming offseason.

The Chiefs are entering this offseason, flush with cap space and 11 draft picks.

They can do anything they want.

And you know what I think? I don't think the Chiefs make any top tier free agency signings this offseason.

I really don't.

I think the Chiefs take another year to take a big hit on Mahomes cap number ($46m) without pushing it down the road.

I think the Chiefs use their cap space to tag OBJ and maybe extend him, which they really want to do.

I think they are high a bit on their own supply with how incredible this rookie class has been, and love the fact they have 11 draft picks.

So I think they're going to sow up their roster, fortify the roster. Reminds me of a recent investment the United States made in Ukraine: instead of sending them a bunch of forward advancing weaponry, they sent them a bunch of weaponry to hold the land they've held/taken. And I think that's what this team is about to do.

Take the Mahomes cap hit, extend Chris Jones, sow up Sneed, lock down JuJu.

What positions do the Chiefs need a huge FA signing at, anyway?

RB? Makes sense given the cap space they're spoiled with, but it doesn't seem to mesh with what Veach/Reid have ever done.

Receivers? Toney and a JuJu re-sign would probably eliminate that. Honestly, if they bring Watson back and like what they see in Moore and/or Justyn Ross, they could chew on releasing MVS if they want (saves them $7m if they do). The Chiefs are currently 4 deep at TE, and love all of them.

OL? First off, Orlando Brown is a Chief in 2023; I think we all understand that. And I think we all agree they want him long term. They also have their entire interior OL under contract. They have a huge hole at RT, and there's yet another excellent Cleveland Browns RT coming available in Jack Conklin! But they're paying retail for Thuney, and they're going to have to pay Humphrey/Smith in a year or two. A primo RT doesn't make sense, especially considering 11 draft picks and they can go get a guy they want.

DL? Don't get me started, jerks. There's no top-end DE talent anymore that makes sense in free agency. There's some DT talent, but the Chiefs only really need a starting 1 tech, and they may just extend Saunders. What the Chiefs need is to build a deep rotation, but you're not going to spend top-dollar on a guy you know is going to be rotational. Plus knowing Veach, if the DE position isn't where he wants it, he'll just pick up an Ingram or Dunlap somewhere and be okay with it.

LB? Nope.

Secondary? Not at corner, where we're 4-deep. Maybe at safety, if the Chiefs don't think Cook is ready for a full-time strong safety gig, but they're already paying money for Reid, and again, 11 draft picks. (Plus they could just extend Thornhill.)

So I think the Chiefs are entering this offseason, but instead of going splash-mode on huge free agency signings, I fully expect them to lock up their current talent to keep the team strong for the foreseeable future, sign a bunch of middle class players for rotational roles, and pour their resources into the draft.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:18 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
Agreed, I think it will be a repeat of what we saw last year. Smart draft picks, tempered spending, maybe a creative trade or two.

That said, we could target either Odell Beckam or N Suh now and fill a hole which would be nice. Either on a .5-1.5 yr contract, assuming healthy and ready to go, would be a nice addition for a SB run.

I believe we resign OBJ and JuJu, and we probably keep MVS too. Hardman is gone. OBJ gets a similar offer as before and CP has a meltdown.

FA? I'd love to see us pick up a solid RT, but Saquan would be my preferred target and Pollard would be a great get if we could steal him away but DAL probably want's to keep him, maybe Saquan is sick of losing though. RT and RB aren't as expensive as additions as other positions, but I'd still bet on nothing splashy over a Saquan landing.
dude, you're living in 2015.

OBJ has completed three of nine seasons, is now over 30, and wants a huge multi-year deal. That's about the dumbest thing we could do.

Suh hit the wall last year and sucked balls.

Saquan never makes it through a season healthy.

I'm glad you're not the GM.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:38 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
dude, you're living in 2015.

OBJ has completed three of nine seasons, is now over 30, and wants a huge multi-year deal. That's about the dumbest thing we could do.

Suh hit the wall last year and sucked balls.

Saquan never makes it through a season healthy.

I'm glad you're not the GM.
I'm pretty well in agreement.

I have zero interest in OBJ at this point with Toney in the fold.

Suh is a guy that I'd maybe consider for a playoff push but nothing beyond that.

I have zero interest in chasing Saquan, his likely contract demands, and his injury history. I also think people need to realize Saquan is from the Bronx so he's going to likely have some interest in remaining in NY if all things are relatively equal.

If I'm going for a RB, I'd much rather chase Tony Pollard, who has proven he can be really good and might be a slightly better fit for this offense.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:40 AM 11-17-2022
I have less interest in Beckham now that Toney looks like the guy we need there.

I don't know the obsession this board has with Suh, though.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:41 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I have less interest in Beckham now that Toney looks like the guy we need there.

Name.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:53 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by Direckshun:

Suh isn't the Suh of old but he still had some value last year as more of a rotational player. I think the only thing people are looking at is a guy that's available that can take on some of Wharton's role with more of an impact than Stallworth, especially as we look towards the playoff push.

Getting him in about now would give him a few weeks to get acclimated before you start looking at ramping up.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:12 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Suh isn't the Suh of old but he still had some value last year as more of a rotational player. I think the only thing people are looking at is a guy that's available that can take on some of Wharton's role with more of an impact than Stallworth, especially as we look towards the playoff push.

Getting him in about now would give him a few weeks to get acclimated before you start looking at ramping up.
He's not a 3 tech at all at this point in his career, in my opinion. You'd literally be better of putting Saunders over there.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:43 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
He's not a 3 tech at all at this point in his career, in my opinion. You'd literally be better of putting Saunders over there.
I strongly disagree with this, especially if you keep him on a snap count.

He was really good his final game against the rams last year and had a solid season overall.

He's traditionally played 70+% of snaps and you need him to take on maybe 30-40%? He can get some quality pressure in that amount of work. He'd be a much better pickup than Melvin Ingram was last year and he won't cost a draft pick.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:46 AM 11-17-2022
The problem is that we don't need a 3T as much as we need a true nose. We need somebody to push Nnadi down the depth chart. Suh would likely be spelling Jones at best.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:50 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The problem is that we don't need a 3T as much as we need a true nose. We need somebody to push Nnadi down the depth chart. Suh would likely be spelling Jones at best.
That's all that he'd be needed for. You can't tell me Suh at his current isn't still an upgrade over Stallworth?

Pushing Nnadi is likely a function of whether they bring up the big fella.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:53 AM 11-17-2022
That's all that he'd be needed for. You can't tell me Suh at his current isn't still an upgrade over Stallworth?

Pushing Nnadi is likely a function of whether they bring up the big fella.
I don't think Suh's skillset works there though. You really want him to play the same position Chris Jones plays, do you not?
[Reply]
kccrow 10:57 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I don't think Suh's skillset works there though. You really want him to play the same position Chris Jones plays, do you not?
Am I talking in circles today?

Yes. And I don't want Suh to be a starter.

I want Suh to absorb the 30% of snaps that Jones is not on the field and maybe play next to him on 10% of snaps where you just want to try to get after a guy.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:01 AM 11-17-2022
Am I talking in circles today?

Yes. And I don't want Suh to be a starter.

I want Suh to absorb the 30% of snaps that Jones is not on the field and maybe play next to him on 10% of snaps where you just want to try to get after a guy.
Fair enough. I just didn't understand the ask. I do now.

Not sure I agree with it but I at least understand your rationale.
[Reply]
kccrow 11:02 AM 11-17-2022
Sorry, probably came off as a dick there. I just feel like I was not being understood.

For any clarity others might want on my thoughts:

I want Suh to be brought in as the backup to Jones. He takes the snaps Jones sits on the sideline drinking Gatorade.

I want Suh to be in on pass rush packages next to Jones.

Simple as that. Suh would not be a guy I'd line up at the 1-tech 60% of snaps next to Jones. He's not that guy.

He's the guy I'd want to replace Stallworth because Stallworth is useless, unfortunately. I had much higher hopes for Stallworth based on last year's showing.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:07 AM 11-17-2022
Sorry, probably came off as a dick there. I just feel like I was not being understood.

For any clarity others might want on my thoughts:

I want Suh to be brought in as the backup to Jones. He takes the snaps Jones sits on the sideline drinking Gatorade.

I want Suh to be in on pass rush packages next to Jones.

Simple as that. Suh would not be a guy I'd line up at the 1-tech 60% of snaps next to Jones. He's not that guy.

He's the guy I'd want to replace Stallworth because Stallworth is useless, unfortunately. I had much higher hopes for Stallworth based on last year's showing.
Well, I didn't take you for a dick at all. And I truly didn't understand, so you were 100% justified there. :-)

I don't disagree with this at all. I don't really want Suh but I do think he'd be suited for the role you're describing (which happened to be the role I was describing, just not as thoroughly).
[Reply]
O.city 11:50 AM 11-17-2022
I kinda wonder if they might go with someone like Andre Dillard at LT and see if they can work out some kinks.

If I were gonna make a move for a DL this offseason, it's probably Dre"Mont Jones.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up