ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Hot take. The Chiefs don't make a major FA splash in 2023.
Direckshun 09:08 AM 11-15-2022
I'm looking over free agency for this coming offseason.

The Chiefs are entering this offseason, flush with cap space and 11 draft picks.

They can do anything they want.

And you know what I think? I don't think the Chiefs make any top tier free agency signings this offseason.

I really don't.

I think the Chiefs take another year to take a big hit on Mahomes cap number ($46m) without pushing it down the road.

I think the Chiefs use their cap space to tag OBJ and maybe extend him, which they really want to do.

I think they are high a bit on their own supply with how incredible this rookie class has been, and love the fact they have 11 draft picks.

So I think they're going to sow up their roster, fortify the roster. Reminds me of a recent investment the United States made in Ukraine: instead of sending them a bunch of forward advancing weaponry, they sent them a bunch of weaponry to hold the land they've held/taken. And I think that's what this team is about to do.

Take the Mahomes cap hit, extend Chris Jones, sow up Sneed, lock down JuJu.

What positions do the Chiefs need a huge FA signing at, anyway?

RB? Makes sense given the cap space they're spoiled with, but it doesn't seem to mesh with what Veach/Reid have ever done.

Receivers? Toney and a JuJu re-sign would probably eliminate that. Honestly, if they bring Watson back and like what they see in Moore and/or Justyn Ross, they could chew on releasing MVS if they want (saves them $7m if they do). The Chiefs are currently 4 deep at TE, and love all of them.

OL? First off, Orlando Brown is a Chief in 2023; I think we all understand that. And I think we all agree they want him long term. They also have their entire interior OL under contract. They have a huge hole at RT, and there's yet another excellent Cleveland Browns RT coming available in Jack Conklin! But they're paying retail for Thuney, and they're going to have to pay Humphrey/Smith in a year or two. A primo RT doesn't make sense, especially considering 11 draft picks and they can go get a guy they want.

DL? Don't get me started, jerks. There's no top-end DE talent anymore that makes sense in free agency. There's some DT talent, but the Chiefs only really need a starting 1 tech, and they may just extend Saunders. What the Chiefs need is to build a deep rotation, but you're not going to spend top-dollar on a guy you know is going to be rotational. Plus knowing Veach, if the DE position isn't where he wants it, he'll just pick up an Ingram or Dunlap somewhere and be okay with it.

LB? Nope.

Secondary? Not at corner, where we're 4-deep. Maybe at safety, if the Chiefs don't think Cook is ready for a full-time strong safety gig, but they're already paying money for Reid, and again, 11 draft picks. (Plus they could just extend Thornhill.)

So I think the Chiefs are entering this offseason, but instead of going splash-mode on huge free agency signings, I fully expect them to lock up their current talent to keep the team strong for the foreseeable future, sign a bunch of middle class players for rotational roles, and pour their resources into the draft.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:14 AM 11-15-2022
I'm not a huge fan of hunting for DL in free agency. At least not top dollar guys. They very rarely pan out after changing teams.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:14 AM 11-15-2022
I could see that, there’s not much out there anyways. Multiple tier II free agents might make sense to fill out the roster and add depth. Also, 2024 might be the time to finally throw some money around. Buffalo already has an expensive veteran QB and blew their load in FA. LAC and Miami have already maxed out the cap even before signing Herbert/Tua to extensions. Lamar extension is coming this year, Burrow extension will be coming soon. By 2024 most of our top competitors in the AFC will likely be up against the cap with expensive veteran QBs, meanwhile a couple of years of smart spending by KC will allow us to pounce at the precise moment everyone else is cash strapped.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:35 AM 11-15-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I'm not a huge fan of hunting for DL in free agency. At least not top dollar guys. They very rarely pan out after changing teams.
Just give me quality depth with average to good starters along the defensive line and I think we'll be fine. We have our elite player in Jones.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:13 AM 11-15-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Just give me quality depth with average to good starters along the defensive line and I think we'll be fine. We have our elite player in Jones.
Agree with this. There's a lot of middling options at DE and DT that can improve what is a pretty putrid DL aside from Jones, and I don't think they'll cost the earth. That's all we need imo. We don't need elite, just better.
[Reply]
Dante84 12:47 PM 11-15-2022
The benefit we have that many other teams do not is our talent evaluation program/department is well established and has a proven track record of success.

The 2022 draft class was critically important, and it looks to be a winning group. If we can rely on that again next year and get a handful of "hits," we really will be perfectly suited to go on a serious run for 3-4 years in Mahomes' prime.
[Reply]
Dull Tools 02:20 PM 11-15-2022
I agree with this. I think we should do what we did last year and sign a $10m player at most.

The big decisions are on Juju and OBJ.

If OBJ doesn't sign then I think the best option could be signing a decent right tackle and guard and moving Thuney to LT.

On edge, I would like to draft another player in the first round and then sign another veteran to help him develop. It doesn't need to be another big player though.

Would be good to see a DT signed in the second round too to help Jones out and then I think our defense would be sorted.

If we can get a WR in the 3rd I think our roster would be sorted.
[Reply]
kccrow 05:15 PM 11-15-2022
Why are you assuming KC is going to continue to roll with OBj?

They might but I don't think its a forgone conclusion.

I wouldn't go chasing for some exorbitant amount of money but if I could get Tony Pollard for what I'm saving from cutting MVS, I'd make that swap. Pollard is explosive and he's a good receiving back.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:55 PM 11-15-2022
If you just assume OBJ is a Chief in '23, you're assuming:

1)He's suddenly going to be reasonable and accept a contract that fits his level of play, or-

2)Brett Veach will be willing to drastically overpay for a middle of the road player, a year after not overpaying for an elite player (Hill).

3)OBJ would play on a second tag, which is what, 120% of what they're paying him now? After refusing a reasonable contract over guaranteed long term money? What would make you think he'd accept that?

I see nothing whatsoever that would indicate any of those things come to pass.

Other than THAT, it's entirely possible that your premise is correct. It's reasonable to assume with all of these young players, that mostly standing pat and keeping the guys we want to keep is the smart move.
[Reply]
RunKC 06:04 PM 11-15-2022
I don’t see a FA, especially on the DL, that is worth spending big money on. Gun to my head I’d pay Elgton Jenkins to play RT, but I seriously doubt GB let’s that man walk.

Take care of your own. Juju, Sneed, OBJ (you know it’s coming!) and maybe Gay
[Reply]
Direckshun 02:39 AM 11-16-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
If you just assume OBJ is a Chief in '23, you're assuming:

1)He's suddenly going to be reasonable and accept a contract that fits his level of play, or-

2)Brett Veach will be willing to drastically overpay for a middle of the road player, a year after not overpaying for an elite player (Hill).

3)OBJ would play on a second tag, which is what, 120% of what they're paying him now? After refusing a reasonable contract over guaranteed long term money? What would make you think he'd accept that?

I see nothing whatsoever that would indicate any of those things come to pass.

Other than THAT, it's entirely possible that your premise is correct. It's reasonable to assume with all of these young players, that mostly standing pat and keeping the guys we want to keep is the smart move.
All fair points.

The Chiefs made him an offer not 5 months ago to be paid as a Top 3 LT in the NFL.

They really, really like him. Only question is will he accept the money they offer him.

I think he does.
[Reply]
Dull Tools 02:58 AM 11-16-2022
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
All fair points.

The Chiefs made him an offer not 5 months ago to be paid as a Top 3 LT in the NFL.

They really, really like him. Only question is will he accept the money they offer him.

I think he does.
He will definitely take it after this year. No one else is going to pay him the kind of money we will offer him. We would be stupid to as well.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:52 AM 11-16-2022
Originally Posted by Dull Tools:
He will definitely take it after this year. No one else is going to pay him the kind of money we will offer him. We would be stupid to as well.
I agree for the most part.

I think he ends up coming off his demands and signs something similar to what the Chiefs offered previously.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:23 AM 11-17-2022
Agreed, I think it will be a repeat of what we saw last year. Smart draft picks, tempered spending, maybe a creative trade or two.

That said, we could target either Odell Beckam or N Suh now and fill a hole which would be nice. Either on a .5-1.5 yr contract, assuming healthy and ready to go, would be a nice addition for a SB run.

I believe we resign OBJ and JuJu, and we probably keep MVS too. Hardman is gone. OBJ gets a similar offer as before and CP has a meltdown.

FA? I'd love to see us pick up a solid RT, but Saquan would be my preferred target and Pollard would be a great get if we could steal him away but DAL probably want's to keep him, maybe Saquan is sick of losing though. RT and RB aren't as expensive as additions as other positions, but I'd still bet on nothing splashy over a Saquan landing.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:16 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
All fair points.

I think he does.
Well, you know, we really, really liked Hill. Who was unquestionably elite, and in his prime.

I think the precedent has been set: We're not going to set the market for anyone on offense not named Patrick Mahomes.

I think it MIGHT be possible that they will do it for Jones; kind of a one on each side of the ball kind of thing.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up