ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>I’d trade two firsts for DE Josh Allen.
Direckshun 04:19 PM 10-29-2022
Just saying.
[Reply]
raybec 4 08:01 AM 11-02-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
I don't think Karlaftis will ever be THAT guy but that's not really his purpose. He could develop into it, for sure, but I don't' know that even they think he'll be that.

Jones is, but they just are in dire need of another DE that can get to the QB. It's gonna be tougher to find that guy in a single player in the late first so I'd probably just throw numbers at it like they did with the CB spot.
I think they expect Karlaftis to be a guy who demands attention, I just don't think he'll be a guy you have to plan your strategy around. He'll be the guy who's good enough to last for a long time, he just won't be an all-pro.
[Reply]
O.city 08:09 AM 11-02-2022
I'm not against it, but I think the argument is we're so close to Buffalo that you don't need to blow it out to have a chance and even if you did, the guy you're getting isn't changing your odds enough.

I'd argue that it's not just for this year, that you need a pass rusher going forward, but the die for all this was cast in the offseason when they just didn't do enough up there.
[Reply]
O.city 08:11 AM 11-02-2022
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
I think they expect Karlaftis to be a guy who demands attention, I just don't think he'll be a guy you have to plan your strategy around. He'll be the guy who's good enough to last for a long time, he just won't be an all-pro.
Yeah, I think he ends up being a nice solid player.

But that's kind of always been my bigger argument point about guys taken at that point in the draft. That's about what you're hoping for, and anything above that is kind of outside the norm.

It CAN happen, it just normally doesn't.

Now, you can just draft as many of those types as you can and try to stock the DL and just play that way, but the issue I always run into with that is that you don't end up with many you deem "worth" that second contract they want and they walk and you're kinda back to having to start over.
[Reply]
O.city 08:13 AM 11-02-2022
IMO, a good strategy is just to be patient now with it. Get to draft night and see whats happening into that spot. If no one is there you like, hell even before draft night, look to do what you did with OBJ.

Someone will have someone you could trade that pick for. For instance, do the Pack intend to sign Gary? If not, I'd approach them about him.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:19 AM 11-02-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
So you've already given up on the playoffs, huh?
Is it giving up if I think this team can dominate on its way to the AFCCG, only to face a loaded Bills team in their own house as our lone roadblock to winning a Super Bowl? Right now, in early November, I'd give the Bills better-than-even odds, wouldn't you?

I think this Chiefs team is right there with them, but it has a couple glaring holes. The team is going to have to play around Wylie, there doesn't seem to be a solution there unless Lucas Niang actually exists.

But a problem just as big was the edge rush in 2022 and beyond. Allen solidifies that position and maybe helps us overtake the Bills as favorites.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:21 AM 11-02-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Trading multiple ones for anything other than a franchise QB is bad value in my opinion, but you don't do that for a second tier pass rusher. You just don't.

I'd have been on board with a first for Allen OR for Burns. You usually can't get a second tier pass rusher picking in the 30's. To me, that's a good shot to take, and worth the risk. But two? No way.

We're not the 2018 Chiefs. We're not trying to climb the mountain. We're trying to STAY at the top of the mountain. It's a totally different process, and you have not adjusted your thinking.

This team is championship level, and you don't mortgage your future for one shot; we have a shot EVERY YEAR as long as we keep adding talent and developing it.

Is this defense better than 2021's? I think it is already, and will continue to get better as the season goes on. There are SO MANY rookies taking snaps, it's logical that they will continue to improve.

Is this offense better than 2021's? Yes, it does in fact appear to be, despite sending Hill packing. It's more varied, less predictable. Statistically speaking it's no question. And once again, it's improving every week as the WR's and Mahomes get more and more on the same page.

Buffalo's damned good. I expect we'll see them in the play-offs, and it'll come down to a play here or there to win it.

I wouldn't bet against Mahomes and Reid in that situation.
I guess I don't think I'm mortgaging the future by trading two 30-something draft picks. It would be nice if we drafted two talented players, but Josh Allen fixes a longterm hole for us, and elevates what the entire DL is composed of.

I'm repeating myself at this point, I think you get my drift.
[Reply]
O.city 02:15 PM 11-03-2022
I'd let the draft process play out a bit ala the OBJ situation a few years ago.

We knew we needed a LT, evaluated the draft and figured out there wasn't one we liked going to be within range so they went and made a trade. Do that with the DE spot this offseason. If there isn't a guy you like that you think will be around, sniff around other teams wanting to move guys.
[Reply]
RunKC 02:42 PM 11-03-2022
I don’t think you can justify trading 2 first rd picks unless it’s for a QB, LT or pass rusher that are easily top 5 at their position and are 26 or younger (QB realistically is 32 max)
[Reply]
kccrow 06:03 PM 11-03-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I don’t think you can justify trading 2 first rd picks unless it’s for a QB, LT or pass rusher that are easily top 5 at their position and are 26 or younger (QB realistically is 32 max)
Yeah, 2 first has to be a pretty damned good player or I'm moving up in the draft for one of those positions for a guy I think is going to be an elite player.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:51 PM 11-03-2022
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I guess I don't think I'm mortgaging the future by trading two 30-something draft picks. It would be nice if we drafted two talented players, but Josh Allen fixes a longterm hole for us, and elevates what the entire DL is composed of.

I'm repeating myself at this point, I think you get my drift.
Me too!

You're nuts.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:14 PM 11-13-2022
OBJ is kicking Allen's ass today, just an observation...
[Reply]
RealSNR 03:20 PM 11-13-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
OBJ is kicking Allen's ass today, just an observation...
Well, then let's trade two 1sts for this OBJ guy!!!
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up