View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 258 of 343
« First < 158208248254255256257258 259260261262268308 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:17 AM 12-05-2022
Originally Posted by Razaele:
You are not going to find someone who can give Brown’s level of production as a Day 1 starter in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft. Letting him go and starting over with a project player probably means we accept a downgrade in production at LT for the next year or two, not an upgrade. It’ll either be a journeyman stopgap or a young player who’s not a high level prospect at LT.

People here want that because they simply don’t like Brown and want him gone, but the team won’t evaluate the decision that way. It’ll be a weighing of what Brown will really accept, what options are available in the draft and free agency, the level of risk the team wants to expose Mahomes to, and the prioritization of fixing other holes on the team.

Nobody in real life evaluates with the “can’t be worse / anyone would be an upgrade” mindset CP has, especially when Mahomes’ health and longevity is a concern.
I'm not on the 'anybody but Brown' train. But he's not a great fit for what we do here, and we can't afford to break the bank for middling production.

I'm saying we could get middling production and save a significant amount of money-to help plug those other holes.

Mahomes plus best 52.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 09:18 AM 12-05-2022
It'll be interesting to see if we can pull it off, everyone knows we don't want to sign him to a long term deal and all he needs to do is play good enough to get a contract at his position. We don't have a ton of leverage even with how the position is valued.
[Reply]
notorious 09:19 AM 12-05-2022
There is no way on this planet you pay him top money.

If he ask for a contract that's more in line with a 10-15 best LT in the league, that's more like it.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 09:20 AM 12-05-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
He did not play good yesterday.
dude was a turnstile yesterday, especially in critical situations.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:22 AM 12-05-2022
I really don't understand the hesitation to play a rookie at LT, I just don't. As if Brown is giving marginally better results? He's been flat-out awful more than he's been good and if he's going to struggle at least as much with the outside speed rush in this league as a rookie that will develop and grow then you move the fuck on.

Yes, we'd have to move up a way in the draft to get a good prospect in all likelihood and that is going to hamper the ability to get a stud pass rusher, but protecting Pat and allowing this offense to hum at 100% is absolutely priority #1.

There are ways to get some pass-rush help. The well is not completely dry in free agency. There are at least some 7-8 sack guys in there that also don't get completely blown off the ball against the run. You probably aren't giving up both of your day 2 picks in a trade up so you still have something to at least get a situational rusher. There are plenty of options available at DT to band-aid there.

You don't get better by settling for average or below average. You have to take some chances. There are some potentially really good fits at LT coming in this year's draft, athletic tackles that fit the scheme Reid runs. It's probably time to take the shot.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 09:22 AM 12-05-2022
Originally Posted by Razaele:
You are not going to find someone who can give Brown’s level of production as a Day 1 starter in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft. Letting him go and starting over with a project player probably means we accept a downgrade in production at LT for the next year or two, not an upgrade. It’ll either be a journeyman stopgap or a young player who’s not a high level prospect at LT.

People here want that because they simply don’t like Brown and want him gone, but the team won’t evaluate the decision that way. It’ll be a weighing of what Brown will really accept, what options are available in the draft and free agency, the level of risk the team wants to expose Mahomes to, and the prioritization of fixing other holes on the team.

Nobody in real life evaluates with the “can’t be worse / anyone would be an upgrade” mindset CP has, especially when Mahomes’ health and longevity is a concern.
You can't let a guy like Orlando Brown hold this team hostage. It's not about "not wanting" him. If he wanted to play here for $15 million a year, sure. I'll keep him for that. That is simply not the case. His demands are only going to go up next year and there is just no way in living hell he can be afforded at what he's asking and for what he's producing.

You want to pay him $25 million a year, or you want to pay Chris Jones $25 million a year? That's basically what you're choosing if you keep him, because there's absolutely no way you can pay them both.
[Reply]
Icon 09:27 AM 12-05-2022
OBJr is asking for the moon yet playing mid-level quality during a contract year. You can't sign him if this continues to be his demand.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 09:28 AM 12-05-2022
Incredibly telling that Joe Thuney stepped in on incredibly short notice playing out of position and allowed 2 pressures total against the same DL
[Reply]
ROYC75 09:32 AM 12-05-2022
Originally Posted by Icon:
OBJr is asking for the moon yet playing mid-level quality during a contract year. You can't sign him if this continues to be his demand.
:-) OBJ!
[Reply]
RunKC 09:43 AM 12-05-2022
Not sure what you do at this point. It’s very hard finding a credible LT. But you can’t pay him this much money
[Reply]
Eleazar 09:45 AM 12-05-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I'm not on the 'anybody but Brown' train. But he's not a great fit for what we do here, and we can't afford to break the bank for middling production.

I'm saying we could get middling production and save a significant amount of money-to help plug those other holes.

Mahomes plus best 52.
Reasonable in a vacuum, but this thought is usually followed by the idea we’ll just conjure a replacement up. Who’s the overlooked gem that will be the 4th-5th-6th tackle taken that we will be starting week 1 next year, and will immediately be an upgrade over Brown? Where are we if he isn’t there? How much quality are we going to lose on the 53 if we have to trade up or trade for someone else?

Entirely possible that the best 53 results from paying Brown above market and spending the draft capital on the D-line. Money is fungible but draft picks are much harder to come by, and I’d rather see Brown get a deal I don’t like than us follow the Rams’ path.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 09:45 AM 12-05-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Incredibly telling that Joe Thuney stepped in on incredibly short notice playing out of position and allowed 2 pressures total against the same DL
I'm still honestly not sure why everyone is so against putting him there full time. Andy mentioned him when Brown was holding out, so you know it's in the back of his mind as a worst case scenario next year. Much easier (and cheaper) to find a LG than a LT.

Not saying this is the ideal result, but if it comes down to overpaying Brown or moving Thuney over, there's no question which option is for the best.
[Reply]
FringeNC 11:42 AM 12-05-2022
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
I'm still honestly not sure why everyone is so against putting him there full time. Andy mentioned him when Brown was holding out, so you know it's in the back of his mind as a worst case scenario next year. Much easier (and cheaper) to find a LG than a LT.

Not saying this is the ideal result, but if it comes down to overpaying Brown or moving Thuney over, there's no question which option is for the best.
Yep, this is the fallback, and it's not a disaster. Brown just isn't good at pass protection, so how much will you even lose, other than Thuney's performance at LG.
[Reply]
Kiimo 11:57 AM 12-05-2022
I don't think anyone is suggesting we let Brown go and replace him with a 2nd round left tackle.

Chiefs have ten picks, it needs to be a trade or something. But we can't let this guy stick around. There is something he does not have the ability to do and if you want to be a left tackle you need to be able to do it. Full stop. End of story.

He's too slow, literally his feet can't move fast enough. Move to RT or move out of town
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:49 PM 12-05-2022

Most pressures allowed this season by an OT per PFF:

1. Orlando Brown Jr. - 39
2. Andrew Wylie - 37

— Zack Eisen (@zackeisen21) December 5, 2022

[Reply]
Page 258 of 343
« First < 158208248254255256257258 259260261262268308 > Last »
Up