ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Media Center>Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Star Trek’ Movie Will Be R-Rated; Zeroing in on Writer
Tribal Warfare 08:30 PM 12-07-2017
http://collider.com/quentin-tarantin...mpression=true

The Curious Case of Quentin Tarantino’s Star Trek Movie keeps getting weirder and weirder. The news itself was the first off-the-wall idea, with word breaking earlier this week that Tarantino had pitched an idea for a Star Trek movie to producer J.J. Abrams, who sparked to the pitch and quickly made this official. A writers room was assembled incredibly quickly, and Tarantino spent hours with scribes Mark L. Smith (The Revenant), Lindsey Beer (Chaos Walking), and Drew Pearce (Iron Man 3) to kick around ideas on how to tackle Tarantino’s approach.

Per Deadline, Smith is currently the frontrunner to land the job, but the bigger news is that this Star Trek movie will be R-rated. This was a condition of Tarantino being involved, and one that both Abrams and Paramount agreed to. It’s a first for the franchise, but Paramount is in something of a bind as the series has yet to really take off the way it had hoped at the box office, so clearly they’ve sparked to this left-field idea of having Quentin Freaking Tarantino direct it.

There’s no guarantee Tarantino will direct this movie, but the idea is for the winning scribe to work on the screenplay while the Inglourious Basterds filmmaker shoots his next movie next summer. If the script is to Tarantino’s liking, he’ll direct this Star Trek movie.

Now, Tarantino has been pretty adamant about the fact that he’s only making 10 films and then he’s retiring. His 1969-set Manson Murders drama that he’s shooting next summer is #9, which would make Star Trek #10 if he indeed makes it. Would he stick to his retirement plan? Would Quentin Tarantino really go out directing a blockbuster written by someone other than himself? I have a hard time believing it, so my guess is A. Tarantino simply produces and/or gets a “Story By” credit and someone else directs this movie or B. Tarantino makes one more original movie after Trek.

Regardless, this whole thing is kind of insane and it’s moving really fast. Tarantino usually takes quite a bit of time between projects, but thus far everything about this Star Trek movie has been atypical for the Oscar-winning writer/director. We’ll likely hear more soon, but what do you think about an R-rated Star Trek movie folks?
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 09:16 AM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Taratino said on a comedians podcast that he already has a serialized 8 episode story arc written and done for his first TV project after his 10th and final movie is done.
I hope he reconsiders retiring, as long as he can improve upon "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", which was by far his worst movie IMO. I think this is the interview you mentioned:

[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:23 AM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
I hope he reconsiders retiring, as long as he can improve upon "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", which was by far his worst movie IMO. I think this is the interview you mentioned:
I think time will be kind to OUaTiH. It's the first movie in a long time that brought the same assessment energy that The Big Lebowski did, where people go into the movie with expectations and are disappointed, and then when they think back on what the movie actually was instead of what they expected, they appreciate it more and more.

I was disappointed immediately after watching it the first time, but a lot of it stuck with me and when I rewatched it calibrated to what he was actually trying to do it rose exponentially in my assessment. I'd put it in my favorites of his, and I'm a certified fan of ALL his stuff and have been since the jump.

Over time, The H8ful Eight will be his worst movie, because it's basically a stage play in a cinematic setting, just talking and talking and telling stories of stuff that happened elsewhere in a room.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:33 AM 12-01-2022
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a fucking classic and easily in QT's top 5.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:43 AM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a fucking classic and easily in QT's top 5.
Oooof idk. He's got a lot of great movies.

I enjoyed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood too. But one of his top 5? I'd have to put more thought into that.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:46 AM 12-01-2022
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Inglorious Bastards
Django
Kill Bill 1 & 2
Death Proof
Dusk Till Dawn

And then do you count movies he wrote the screen play for? Like Natural Born Killers?

Man, he's got quite the selection of excellent movies.
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:10 AM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
And then do you count movies he wrote the screen play for? Like Natural Born Killers?
Don't forget True Romance
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 11:16 AM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a ****ing classic and easily in QT's top 5.
I know many people agree with you, but I feel it's his worst.

Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, Django unchained, and both Kill Bill movies are vastly superior IMO.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:18 AM 12-01-2022
Crimson Tide . . .

But yeah, True Romance was his best non-directing writing credit.
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:28 AM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Crimson Tide . . .

But yeah, True Romance was his best non-directing writing credit.
I'm kinda torn between TR and NBK, love' em both

NBK was gonzo, while TR was a straight ahead story... NBK a much bigger hit tho
[Reply]
Bowser 12:19 PM 12-01-2022
Natural Born Killers was like a bad acid trip
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:22 PM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Natural Born Killers was like a bad acid trip
One of my first memorable "favorite" movies.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 01:31 PM 12-01-2022
Dude needs to stay miles the fuck away from Trek.
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:49 PM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Dude needs to stay miles the fuck away from Trek.
I dunno, he might be a pleasant surprise with sci-fi
[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:50 PM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Dude needs to stay miles the **** away from Trek.
Why? Star Trek Discovery exists. Nobody could ever do worse than that.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 02:23 PM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Why? Star Trek Discovery exists. Nobody could ever do worse than that.
QT makes a specific kind of film and I just don't see how the tone of his films can ever possibly work in Trek.

It will, more than likely, turn into some overly bloody and ultra violent romp through space and I just couldn't possibly care less for it. Use a franchise that lends itself to that type of writing... like Alien or Predator.

I just don't want him to teabag Trek... and that is exactly what I expect he would do.

---

I would love to be wrong though because I love Trek and if he were to make a worthy entry into the cannon I wouldn't hold it against him.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up