ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Media Center>Buying a PS5/XSX
Third Eye 04:36 PM 12-06-2021
I recently decided to update our electronics. Bought a OLED tv, a receiver that could pass through 4K/120Hz, and some other odds and ends. Final piece of the puzzle is an Xbox Series X. I had heard stories about how hard it was to get a PS5 or XSX, but I'm now experiencing it for myself.

For those of you out there who have landed one recently (at MSRP, not secondary), what worked for you? I've currently got tabs for a few retailers open that I check periodically through the day while I'm working. I also have a few Twitter accounts that post live updates on restocks. I really don't value it enough to pay for the subscription services that many of the retailers are charging for the opportunity though I may try 1 month of Walmart+ for $13 as I've heard a number of folks have had success there. Best Buy and their $200 Total Tech subscription can get fucked though.

It's probably best to wait until after the holidays, but I'm doing all of this updating now and I'd like to get it figured out if possible.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:51 AM 12-14-2021
No, just bought it outright
[Reply]
Third Eye 02:26 PM 12-14-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
That's a thing? I think that's pretty cool that Wal-Mart offers that.
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It is. She signed up for it yesterday.

The MSRP of the Series X is $500 and the Gamepass is like $10 a month. The actual retail price of the Series X is currently higher than $500, though, because of supply issues and bots.

So you're basically getting (at worst) a $740 value for $840 over 2 years.
To be clear, it's not really rent to own, it's actually a 0% interest loan through Citizen's Bank. Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Target have all offered it as stock is available.

Also, with regards to the value of the deal, Game Pass is $15/month from Microsoft directly, though you can find it as cheap as $10/month right now when purchasing 3 months from somewhere like Amazon. If you got 2 years of Game Pass through Microsoft, it would cost $360 for 2 years, so really you could say you are getting an $860 value for $840.

I almost did that, went so far as to get approval from Citizen's Bank, but was luckily able to find a unit that I could buy outright. It's still a good deal and you can spread the cost over 2 years, but the better deal is to buy outright. Currently, and this has been the case for a while, you can convert your a Gold membership to Game Pass for $1 if you don't already have it. So what people are doing is buying 3 years of Gold ($180) and then converting to Game Pass. That's what I did. Here's a link:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3976...imate-tip.html
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:31 PM 12-14-2021
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
To be clear, it's not really rent to own, it's actually a 0% interest loan through Citizen's Bank. Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Target have all offered it as stock is available.

Also, with regards to the value of the deal, Game Pass is $15/month from Microsoft directly, though you can find it as cheap as $10/month right now when purchasing 3 months from somewhere like Amazon. If you got 2 years of Game Pass through Microsoft, it would cost $360 for 2 years, so really you could say you are getting an $860 value for $840.

I almost did that, went so far as to get approval from Citizen's Bank, but was luckily able to find a unit that I could buy outright. It's still a good deal and you can spread the cost over 2 years, but the better deal is to buy outright. Currently, and this has been the case for a while, you can convert your a Gold membership to Game Pass for $1 if you don't already have it. So what people are doing is buying 3 years of Gold ($180) and then converting to Game Pass. That's what I did. Here's a link:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3976...imate-tip.html
Yeah, rent-to-own was just an easy way to put it. It's financing, you're right.

My daughter and her fiancé can't afford to buy one outright but nice to know she got a good deal.

:-)
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:50 PM 12-14-2021
Just got 3 years worth of Gamepass for about $100. Pretty easy too.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:58 PM 12-14-2021
https://www.reddit.com/r/xbox/commen...get_game_pass/
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:40 AM 12-22-2021
Got a second Xbox Series X as insurance if anyone is having trouble buying one. PM me if you're interested and I'll sell it to you for what I paid for it.

Edit: not really interested in shipping it as it's a fucking hassle and expensive, so keep it local, please.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:51 AM 12-22-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It is. She signed up for it yesterday.

The MSRP of the Series X is $500 and the Gamepass is like $10 a month. The actual retail price of the Series X is currently higher than $500, though, because of supply issues and bots.

So you're basically getting (at worst) a $740 value for $840 over 2 years.
I may have to look into this. Wish they’d do this shit for a PS5 so I’d have a shot at one.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:38 AM 12-23-2021
PS5s in stock at GameStop's all o er KC this morning
[Reply]
Miles 10:55 PM 12-29-2021
Is there any way to get a PS5 that’s somewhere between MSRP and scalpers that doesn’t take the ton of effort and luck of getting one at MSRP? I’m willing to pay more but fuck those guys on Amazon or eBay selling for 1200.
[Reply]
tredadda 10:15 AM 12-30-2021
Originally Posted by Miles:
Is there any way to get a PS5 that’s somewhere between MSRP and scalpers that doesn’t take the ton of effort and luck of getting one at MSRP? I’m willing to pay more but fuck those guys on Amazon or eBay selling for 1200.
Honestly I just registered with Sony and waited for the email that provided the opportunity to purchase it. Once I got the email I clicked the link when the window was open and got put in a queue. Once my turn came up, I got it. That's what worked best for me. I know others have used the Hotstock App and been successful. It just didn't work for me, but you can always try that as well.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 10:19 PM 01-05-2022
Got an invite from Sony to buy one tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed.
[Reply]
tredadda 05:55 PM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
Got an invite from Sony to buy one tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed.
Good luck. Just be ready to go right away. I did that and that's how I got mine. Keep us informed if it works for you as well.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 10:26 PM 01-06-2022
Ladies and gentlemen, we got 'em.

That was super easy. If anyone else goes this route, click on the email link a half hour early. They put you in a waiting room and automatically move you into queue. Opened at 2pm and I was completing my order by 2:09.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:37 PM 01-06-2022
I signed up with Sony and haven’t heard dick. I’m sure I’m nowhere near close to getting one.
[Reply]
tredadda 12:57 AM 01-07-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I signed up with Sony and haven’t heard dick. I’m sure I’m nowhere near close to getting one.
Not necessarily. I signed up and didn't hear anything for a good month and a half. Then I suddenly got the email with my scheduled date/time.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up