ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Media Center>Buying a PS5/XSX
Third Eye 04:36 PM 12-06-2021
I recently decided to update our electronics. Bought a OLED tv, a receiver that could pass through 4K/120Hz, and some other odds and ends. Final piece of the puzzle is an Xbox Series X. I had heard stories about how hard it was to get a PS5 or XSX, but I'm now experiencing it for myself.

For those of you out there who have landed one recently (at MSRP, not secondary), what worked for you? I've currently got tabs for a few retailers open that I check periodically through the day while I'm working. I also have a few Twitter accounts that post live updates on restocks. I really don't value it enough to pay for the subscription services that many of the retailers are charging for the opportunity though I may try 1 month of Walmart+ for $13 as I've heard a number of folks have had success there. Best Buy and their $200 Total Tech subscription can get fucked though.

It's probably best to wait until after the holidays, but I'm doing all of this updating now and I'd like to get it figured out if possible.
[Reply]
Third Eye 09:19 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
If you have ever used Microsoft store for purchases and have an account check your email's. You may have a invite to purchase a series X and you will get one. The catch was it had to be bundled with 2 items. I chose a 49 buck controller and a 10 buck game game. It was easy as pie if you had the invite. The controller and game came in a couple days and I have a shipping date for the series x in the next few days.

I read this in a post on Slickdeals and searched my email for Microsoft. I had three invites over a few weeks for accounts under my kids accounts all tied to my email. I did this a few days before black Friday. If you got an invite you're in and will get if it's still going on.

typed with my trusty nose picker using Tapatalk
Yeah, I read about this. Checked it out earlier today and I didn’t have the right boxes checked. Hopefully this will work for me as well.
[Reply]
Bump 10:28 PM 12-06-2021
I refuse to pay a scalper 3x the price. I would like to get one. Back in my day, people could go to stores and buy shit but those times are gone apparently. Now I have to set up all of these twatter alerts and go through trouble for the chance to maybe buy one? Get the fuck outta here, I'll get one when I can but who knows when that will be.
[Reply]
MVChiefFan 10:39 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
It’s an unpopular opinion, but I don’t hate the scalpers. It’s the idiots willing to pay those prices that drive it.
Yeah, but these scalpers are usually insider retail employees that are scamming the system to get their hands on them before they would even be released. I have a buddy/coworker who’s stepdad is a GM at a local Target. He had to can several of these guys for doing it.

It’s a sketchy deal for sure.
[Reply]
Third Eye 11:10 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by MVChiefFan:
Yeah, but these scalpers are usually insider retail employees that are scamming the system to get their hands on them before they would even be released. I have a buddy/coworker who’s stepdad is a GM at a local Target. He had to can several of these guys for doing it.

Yeah, that’s a fair point. I wasn’t thinking about the inside jobs.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 06:14 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by MVChiefFan:

Not to.mention the bots/scripts scalpers utilize to scoop up inventory drops in seconds that the average consumer cannot outmatch. Fuck'em. The best we can all hope for is that they get stuck with the inventory.
[Reply]
SuperChief 09:03 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by Clyde Frog:
Sign up for accounts @ Walmart.com, Bestbuy.com, Gamestop.com and Target.com and store your credit card info in each. Make sure you have a secure device you can keep close to you that stays logged in to them.

If you use Twitter follow and set notifications for posts from Matt Swider (@mattswider) and Wario64 (@wario64) those are two of the most reliable guys when it comes to hardware drops. You may have to deal with notifications you don't care about but it makes sure you don't miss the drops.

You have to be quick when the drops are announced. They're gone in literally seconds after they are available.

Be ready to be disappointed and frustrated as the scalper bots and the massive influx of traffic to the websites at hardware drops make the sites lag worse than CP 5 seconds after Cheffers throws another bullshit flag to extend a Brady drive.

Don't cave and buy from a scalper, don't give up.

I got 2 so far this way (sold my digital ps5 to my buddy for the cost I bought it for plus shipping).

Good luck!
This is the best advice. I've steered friends to Wario64 on Twitter who have successfully gotten theirs. You have to be really diligent, though. Scalpers are really charging you for convenience - still ain't worth it, those bastards.

I was fortunate enough to get a PS5 at launch from Sony, a Series S from Target maybe 7 or 8 months ago, and a Series X from Amazon (via a Wario64 tweet) that's delivering Thursday. I'm selling the Series S to make room for the Series X.

Another topic - if you get too frustrated and sick of the process, you could always get a Series S, as they're much more widely available. That console kicks ass and has a great price.
[Reply]
Third Eye 09:08 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
This is the best advice. I've steered friends to Wario64 on Twitter who have successfully gotten theirs. You have to be really diligent, though. Scalpers are really charging you for convenience - still ain't worth it, those bastards.

I was fortunate enough to get a PS5 at launch from Sony, a Series S from Target maybe 7 or 8 months ago, and a Series X from Amazon (via a Wario64 tweet) that's delivering Thursday. I'm selling the Series S to make room for the Series X.

Another topic - if you get too frustrated and sick of the process, you could always get a Series S, as they're much more widely available. That console kicks ass and has a great price.
Series S is not an option for me. I want the 4K Blu Ray drive.
[Reply]
tredadda 09:51 AM 12-07-2021
It’s an unpopular opinion, but I don’t hate the scalpers. It’s the idiots willing to pay those prices that drive it.
I blame them as much as the people who are so desperate that they will pay 3x the amount or more. Due to chip supplies, these systems are already pretty scarce. By using bots and whatnot, they are making them even more scarce for those trying to get a legitimate system. It is similar to that TP nonsense when COVID lock downs started happening in March 2020.
[Reply]
Third Eye 10:33 AM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
I blame them as much as the people who are so desperate that they will pay 3x the amount or more. Due to chip supplies, these systems are already pretty scarce. By using bots and whatnot, they are making them even more scarce for those trying to get a legitimate system. It is similar to that TP nonsense when COVID lock downs started happening in March 2020.
It’s a chicken or egg problem for sure, but there wouldn’t be scalpers if there wasn’t a market.

In better news, I was able to get one this morning from Costco after I got a notification from Wario64’s Twitter.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:04 PM 12-07-2021
Hotstock, Hotstock, and more Hotstock.

Downloaded the app and had a PS5 in a couple of weeks of watching.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 04:10 PM 12-07-2021
Series S is not an option for me. I want the 4K Blu Ray drive.
A Series S and Gamepass Ultimate is all you really need. Discs are going the way of the Dodo.
[Reply]
Third Eye 04:19 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
A Series S and Gamepass Ultimate is all you really need. Discs are going the way of the Dodo.
Color me skeptical that our infrastructure ever catches up to our technology. Yes, there has been great innovation that allows us to compress information in such a way that we can stream a passable 4K, but it’s still compressed and not true 4K. That gap will only get bigger with 8K. I’ll always take the uncompressed if it’s an option.

For games? Yeah, fuck the disk, and I’ll definitely have game pass. I just don’t have any desire to buy a standalone 4K Blu Ray player.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:25 PM 12-07-2021
Just saw one go for a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle in a local FB group.

Bizarre times indeed.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 12:37 AM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by Clyde Frog:
Sign up for accounts @ Walmart.com, Bestbuy.com, Gamestop.com and Target.com and store your credit card info in each. Make sure you have a secure device you can keep close to you that stays logged in to them.

If you use Twitter follow and set notifications for posts from Matt Swider (@mattswider) and Wario64 (@wario64) those are two of the most reliable guys when it comes to hardware drops. You may have to deal with notifications you don't care about but it makes sure you don't miss the drops.

You have to be quick when the drops are announced. They're gone in literally seconds after they are available.

Be ready to be disappointed and frustrated as the scalper bots and the massive influx of traffic to the websites at hardware drops make the sites lag worse than CP 5 seconds after Cheffers throws another bullshit flag to extend a Brady drive.

Don't cave and buy from a scalper, don't give up.

I got 2 so far this way (sold my digital ps5 to my buddy for the cost I bought it for plus shipping).

Good luck!
This plus HotStock worked for me. Got a PS5 and series x. Edit: the new halo slaps
[Reply]
tredadda 10:17 AM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Hotstock, Hotstock, and more Hotstock.

Downloaded the app and had a PS5 in a couple of weeks of watching.
It's funny, but even with Hotstock I have not been successful. I actually get alerts and when I click on it the site I get taken to says sold out.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up