ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Media Center>Buying a PS5/XSX
Third Eye 04:36 PM 12-06-2021
I recently decided to update our electronics. Bought a OLED tv, a receiver that could pass through 4K/120Hz, and some other odds and ends. Final piece of the puzzle is an Xbox Series X. I had heard stories about how hard it was to get a PS5 or XSX, but I'm now experiencing it for myself.

For those of you out there who have landed one recently (at MSRP, not secondary), what worked for you? I've currently got tabs for a few retailers open that I check periodically through the day while I'm working. I also have a few Twitter accounts that post live updates on restocks. I really don't value it enough to pay for the subscription services that many of the retailers are charging for the opportunity though I may try 1 month of Walmart+ for $13 as I've heard a number of folks have had success there. Best Buy and their $200 Total Tech subscription can get fucked though.

It's probably best to wait until after the holidays, but I'm doing all of this updating now and I'd like to get it figured out if possible.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 05:10 PM 12-06-2021
Good luck. Please don't buy from a scalper. Those people deserve to have sandpaper crammed up their anus.
[Reply]
Fish 05:16 PM 12-06-2021
Sounds like you're doing about all you can do.

Before I found my video card a while back, I was seeing PS5/XBX units on the Newegg shuffle on occasion. Might want to keep an eye on that. https://www.newegg.com/product-shuffle
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:16 PM 12-06-2021
Walmart + is the best bet. Just got a second PS5 doing that. Did pay for the $200 membership at Best Buy and it let me cancel after I'd gotten what I wanted without prorating it but doubt they'll let that loophole stay open.

Edit: Walmart+ MUST BE PAID. Free trial will not work.
[Reply]
srvy 06:12 PM 12-06-2021
If you have ever used Microsoft store for purchases and have an account check your email's. You may have a invite to purchase a series X and you will get one. The catch was it had to be bundled with 2 items. I chose a 49 buck controller and a 10 buck game game. It was easy as pie if you had the invite. The controller and game came in a couple days and I have a shipping date for the series x in the next few days.

I read this in a post on Slickdeals and searched my email for Microsoft. I had three invites over a few weeks for accounts under my kids accounts all tied to my email. I did this a few days before black Friday. If you got an invite you're in and will get if it's still going on.

typed with my trusty nose picker using Tapatalk
[Reply]
srvy 06:24 PM 12-06-2021
This is the slickdeals notice I discovered this through.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15438676-mi...src=SiteSearch
[Reply]
Stryker 07:08 PM 12-06-2021
Awesome post! This is so ridiculous to get a PS5. It REALLY sucks right now! :-)
[Reply]
Stryker 07:13 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Walmart + is the best bet. Just got a second PS5 doing that. Did pay for the $200 membership at Best Buy and it let me cancel after I'd gotten what I wanted without prorating it but doubt they'll let that loophole stay open.

Do you have a link? How do you do this? Walmart membership thing. Did not know - TIA!
[Reply]
Stryker 07:21 PM 12-06-2021

Ok found the link and logged in. What do you do next after paying for the subscription? NOOB here!
[Reply]
Clyde Frog 07:47 PM 12-06-2021
Sign up for accounts @ Walmart.com, Bestbuy.com, Gamestop.com and Target.com and store your credit card info in each. Make sure you have a secure device you can keep close to you that stays logged in to them.

If you use Twitter follow and set notifications for posts from Matt Swider (@mattswider) and Wario64 (@wario64) those are two of the most reliable guys when it comes to hardware drops. You may have to deal with notifications you don't care about but it makes sure you don't miss the drops.

You have to be quick when the drops are announced. They're gone in literally seconds after they are available.

Be ready to be disappointed and frustrated as the scalper bots and the massive influx of traffic to the websites at hardware drops make the sites lag worse than CP 5 seconds after Cheffers throws another bullshit flag to extend a Brady drive.

Don't cave and buy from a scalper, don't give up.

I got 2 so far this way (sold my digital ps5 to my buddy for the cost I bought it for plus shipping).

Good luck!
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:54 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Stryker:
Ok found the link and logged in. What do you do next after paying for the subscription? NOOB here!
Follow somebody that does live updates on Twitter. Even with the Walmart+ it's a game of literal seconds. You have to be ready to get in the que the second it goes live or you're not getting one. MattSwider is who I followed.

Edit: or just listen to Clyde Frog.
[Reply]
Stryker 08:48 PM 12-06-2021
Follow somebody that does live updates on Twitter. Even with the Walmart+ it's a game of literal seconds. You have to be ready to get in the que the second it goes live or you're not getting one. MattSwider is who I followed.

Edit: or just listen to Clyde Frog.
I get it! Thanks! Appreciate you.
[Reply]
Stryker 08:52 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Clyde Frog:
Sign up for accounts @ Walmart.com, Bestbuy.com, Gamestop.com and Target.com and store your credit card info in each. Make sure you have a secure device you can keep close to you that stays logged in to them.

If you use Twitter follow and set notifications for posts from Matt Swider (@mattswider) and Wario64 (@wario64) those are two of the most reliable guys when it comes to hardware drops. You may have to deal with notifications you don't care about but it makes sure you don't miss the drops.

You have to be quick when the drops are announced. They're gone in literally seconds after they are available.

Be ready to be disappointed and frustrated as the scalper bots and the massive influx of traffic to the websites at hardware drops make the sites lag worse than CP 5 seconds after Cheffers throws another bullshit flag to extend a Brady drive.

I got 2 so far this way (sold my digital ps5 to my buddy for the cost I bought it for plus shipping).

Good luck!
Get one for me with CD instead of full digital and I will be GLAD to pay you! PS5 - just PM me - with what I owe.
[Reply]
tredadda 09:08 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Clyde Frog:

Good luck!
That's impressive. I have all but resigned myself to not getting one in the next year or two as I am not fast enough, nor will I give in to scalpers. I have registered with Sony, so hopefully I will get an email from them to purchase one, but at this point I am not holding out hope.
[Reply]
Third Eye 09:16 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Good luck. Please don't buy from a scalper. Those people deserve to have sandpaper crammed up their anus.
It’s an unpopular opinion, but I don’t hate the scalpers. It’s the idiots willing to pay those prices that drive it.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up