ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 9
« First < 45678 9 >
Media Center>Wheel Of Time - Amazon
cookster50 06:36 PM 11-01-2021
Anyone else excited for this? November 19 begins season one.
[Reply]
cookster50 09:56 AM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by ntexascardfan:
I'm a non-book reader and picked up on that characteristic from Loial pretty quickly. Not sure what you're talking about...we thought that line was funny when we heard it in the final episode.
Ah, ok, hope you are in the majority then.
[Reply]
cookster50 10:02 AM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
Never read the books. But this was pretty disappointing. Not terrible. But probably not something I'd watch another season of. Some serious head scratching with a lot of the plot.
It's a shame amazon was willing to spend money on this but then seriously screw over any chance at decent plotting by having so few episodes to work with
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:38 AM 01-07-2022
Originally Posted by cookster50:
It's a shame amazon was willing to spend money on this but then seriously screw over any chance at decent plotting by having so few episodes to work with
Rafe stated they spent millions on wigs. Dude has shown himself to be a flaming liar, so who really knows.
[Reply]
allen_kcCard 09:55 AM 01-07-2022
If the writers hated the books, they needed different writers. Period.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 01:26 PM 01-07-2022
Originally Posted by allen_kcCard:
You only say that because you just don't understand what they were trying to do.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:40 PM 01-07-2022
Originally Posted by allen_kcCard:
Link to where someone said they hated the books?
[Reply]
hometeam 06:55 PM 01-07-2022
Dunno, I would give the whole season like a 6. I do have some hope for next season, and will give it a go.

What worries me is there is a whole lot of like really stressed pandering to it to make it seem better than it is by fansites and people saying stuff like "You only say that because you just don't understand what they were trying to do." when someone has valid criticisms for the show.

Its like a 'thou doth protest too much' kinda vibe, where in the background you can feel that its not really a great show, and the defenses are devoid of substance or just dont compel me to believe anything other than my own opinion.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 02:12 PM 01-08-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Link to where someone said they hated the books?
I've been looking for it. I think hate is a stronger word than Rafe used in the Q&A it was in. He said some of the writers never even read the books and some didn't like the books
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:57 PM 01-08-2022
Originally Posted by :
Tried to find a group of diverse thinkers for it -- people who've read all the books, people who read some of the books but dropped out eventually, people who loved fantasy but not Wot, people who don't even know fantasy at all. Also, people who write differently than me, sot aht they could strengthen the overall scripts. It's such a great group, I'd go to war for any of them.
https://www.reddit.com/r/television/...m_source=share
[Reply]
DaFace 04:44 PM 01-11-2022
Originally Posted by hometeam:
Dunno, I would give the whole season like a 6. I do have some hope for next season, and will give it a go.

What worries me is there is a whole lot of like really stressed pandering to it to make it seem better than it is by fansites and people saying stuff like "You only say that because you just don't understand what they were trying to do." when someone has valid criticisms for the show.

Its like a 'thou doth protest too much' kinda vibe, where in the background you can feel that its not really a great show, and the defenses are devoid of substance or just dont compel me to believe anything other than my own opinion.
It's a 7 for me. It's not fantastic, but it's enjoyable enough to see how my imagination compares to the world they're creating. And I know people non-readers who would give it an 8 or 9, so I'm aware that being a book reader is clouding my opinions a bit.

I suspect some of the pushback against criticism that you are seeing is that you've got people (just like in this thread) who are acting like it's a giant pile of steaming dogshit and that RJ would be rolling in his grave. It's hard to have a reasonable conversation about the merits and flaws when the conversation starts like that.

Overall, I personally just don't care that much about changes from the books, so those don't bother me. It's a monumental task to take ~12,000 pages of books and cram them into ~60 total hours of screen time, and it's obvious that they were going to have to change a ton.

I am disappointed with how quickly they sped through things this season, and I think they have a long way to go in developing most of the characters. But frankly the first book is hardly one of the best in the series either. The first season was 80% exposition and 20% plot, and that'll shift as we get a bit further into it. I'm optimistic that it'll improve, but time will tell.
[Reply]
hometeam 06:51 PM 01-11-2022
It's a 7 for me. It's not fantastic, but it's enjoyable enough to see how my imagination compares to the world they're creating. And I know people non-readers who would give it an 8 or 9, so I'm aware that being a book reader is clouding my opinions a bit.

I suspect some of the pushback against criticism that you are seeing is that you've got people (just like in this thread) who are acting like it's a giant pile of steaming dogshit and that RJ would be rolling in his grave. It's hard to have a reasonable conversation about the merits and flaws when the conversation starts like that.

Overall, I personally just don't care that much about changes from the books, so those don't bother me. It's a monumental task to take ~12,000 pages of books and cram them into ~60 total hours of screen time, and it's obvious that they were going to have to change a ton.

I am disappointed with how quickly they sped through things this season, and I think they have a long way to go in developing most of the characters. But frankly the first book is hardly one of the best in the series either. The first season was 80% exposition and 20% plot, and that'll shift as we get a bit further into it. I'm optimistic that it'll improve, but time will tell.
Yea I tend to agree, was looking through like a 400 reply Facebook post about it today, and opinions varied, but there was plenty of vitriol and pure asshattery from both sides of the coin. Surprisingly, a lot of the good ones where from folks who haven't read the books, as I have no idea how you could keep up with character development without that foundation.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 12:08 PM 01-12-2022

If anyone give that show an 8 or 9, it is purely due to identity politics. The writing was poor, and it began and ended with huge dud's. A few episodes gave me hope, but the last two were simply not good. Episode 8 in particular was just terrible.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:33 PM 01-12-2022
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
If anyone give that show an 8 or 9, it is purely due to identity politics. The writing was poor, and it began and ended with huge dud's. A few episodes gave me hope, but the last two were simply not good. Episode 8 in particular was just terrible.
:-)

You have a lot of strong feelings about how other people think. No, it's not identity politics. They're not political people at all. I'm sorry there are people in the world who think differently than you.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 07:08 PM 01-14-2022
I agree with DaFace. It was about a 7/7.5 for me. The last episode was a disappointment, but I am not letting that ruin the whole season for me. I really liked episodes 3-7.

The thing that gives me hope for the show is the actors and their chemistry. I think they did an excellent job of being their characters, and the relationships and chemistry between them seemed genuine---so even with changes to the books, the characters, at least to me, were true to their book selves.

It is a great time to be a fantasy fan. Tons of great books and worlds to throw yourself into, and there is a ton of content out there in shows/movies.

It will be interesting to see when they release Season 2 since the LOTR show is set to debut in fall 2022 as well.
[Reply]
Why Not? 03:27 AM 01-15-2022
Stayed home sick yesterday so decided to give this a shot. I made it through the first 6 episodes and will finish today/this weekend. Having never read the books, I have enjoyed the show so far. I think a solid 7 is about right. Some of it is a little cheesy but overall the characters are good and the action is solid. I'm certainly in for the next season.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 9
« First < 45678 9 >
Up