ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 29
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Media Center>So....Dune 2020. Cool?
Amnorix 03:03 PM 08-19-2019
I learned today for the first time that a remake of the awesome book (and decidedly less awesome early 80s movie) Dune is being made, and is currently in post-production with a release date of December 18, 2020.

The cast includes many I don't know, but the ones I do know seem excellent for their roles. It's damn near a Marvel reunion...

Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho (the swordmaster of House Atreides)

Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck (weaponsmaster of House Atreides, played memorably (and surprisingly) by Patrick Stewart in the original movie

Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen

Dave Bautista (better known as Drax the Destroyer) as "Beast" Rabban, the nephew of Harkonnen

The most critical guy -- the one playing Paul is unknown to me. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3154303/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t3

This film is also only going to cover the first half of the book, which is good. It's really not possible to cover the whole thing in one 2 or 3 hour movie.

Anyway -- I love the book and a really good film would be great. What say you about all this news? Or am I just the last to known (as would be typical, to be honest!)
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:41 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
That was the problem with Blade Runner 2049. He made a beautiful, wonderful film that the younger generation didn't give a shit about because most of them never saw the original and weren't alive when it came out.

I doubt if they read many 56-year-old novels, either.
Dune is one series I wish there was some mechanism for proselytizing the value of literature.

Few experiences in any medium are as immersive as reading Herbert's prose and narrative.

Movies and TV and Tik-Tok and RPGs and podcasts and all that have their place. But for truly quality literature, there is no replacement. You build a complete world in your mind from marks on a page.
[Reply]
unlurking 06:50 PM 07-22-2021
JFC, can we quit with the not so subtle political BS in Media Center? Would you all get bent if I said I refused to post anything linked to the cocksucker Hannity or whatever douche is popular on the other side?
[Reply]
unlurking 06:52 PM 07-22-2021
I'll watch anything from Denis Villeneuve at this point.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:15 PM 07-22-2021
There is just no way this fails.

The only thing I don't like so far is Paul. He has the look but his performance wasn't thrilling me in this trailer. Liked it better in the last one.

The supporting cast, though...wow. WOW. It looks like they all brought it. That exchange between Leto and wifey was dynamite. The score is sounding amazing, too (dunno if Hans is scoring the trailers tho).
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:31 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Fails at the box office or fails to deliver a great movie?

Although I think there's very little chance that it succeeds at the box office, especially given that HBO Max will broadcast it simultaneously, I would be very surprised if Villeneuve fails to deliver a great film.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:56 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Fails at the box office or fails to deliver a great movie?

Although I think there's very little chance that it succeeds at the box office, especially given that HBO Max will broadcast it simultaneously, I would be very surprised if Villeneuve fails to deliver a great film.
Agreed. Has a very good chance of being excellent.

But Dune the property offers little wide commercial appeal.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:59 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by unlurking:
JFC, can we quit with the not so subtle political BS in Media Center? Would you all get bent if I said I refused to post anything linked to the cocksucker Hannity or whatever douche is popular on the other side?
Fuck you, idiot. Nothing I said was political. Obviously the same can't be said of your blast of horseshit. Also, you don't need to be a conservative to hate Colbert; all you need is a functional soul.

Apologies to the other participants in this thread. I couldn't let this crap pass.
[Reply]
sully1983 08:45 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Movies like this were made to be seen at the theater. I for one will be doing that.
Oh without question!

I plan on seeing it opening day in theaters for sure.

Also the latest trailer was masterfully done imo. It laid out a good amount of the plot for the causal movie goer to understand (all while not spoiling anything ).

This looks flat out jaw dropping & incredible that must be seen on in theaters. I have full confidence that Denis Villeneuve will deliver the goods here (there is a reason why the Hollywood Critics Association named him the "filmmaker of the decade". (Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049 etc). Dude is a beast of a director.

Also I predict Jason Momoa (as Duncan Idaho) is going to steal the show. He looks like he was born to play this role Love the part of the trailer where he says "Lets fight like demons". :-)

Can't wait for this shit
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:46 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:

The only thing I don't like so far is Paul. He has the look but his performance wasn't thrilling me in this trailer. Liked it better in the last one.

The supporting cast, though...wow. WOW. It looks like they all brought it. That exchange between Leto and wifey was dynamite. The score is sounding amazing, too (dunno if Hans is scoring the trailers tho).
Hans is spending more time with his lawyers than he his writing music (which he hasn't done for years, anyway).

He's facing multiple copyright infringement cases, all of which he'll most likely lose, and in a big way.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:59 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by sully1983:
Oh without question!

I plan on seeing it opening day in theaters for sure.

Also the latest trailer was masterfully done imo. It laid out a good amount of the plot for the causal movie goer to understand (all while not spoiling anything ).

This looks flat out jaw dropping & incredible that must be seen on in theaters. I have full confidence that Denis Villeneuve will deliver the goods here (there is a reason why the Hollywood Critics Association named him the "filmmaker of the decade". (Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049 etc). Dude is a beast of a director.

Also I predict Jason Momoa (as Duncan Idaho) is going to steal the show. He looks like he was born to play this role Love the part of the trailer where he says "Lets fight like demons". :-)

Can't wait for this shit
Well, if it's faithful to the book, he can't steal that much of it.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:07 PM 07-22-2021
Hans is spending more time with his lawyers than he his writing music (which he hasn't done for years, anyway).

He's facing multiple copyright infringement cases, all of which he'll most likely lose, and in a big way.
Wow, that's news. He's pretty respected, no? Or I guess, was?

And I can't think of Hollywood composers and not think of this

Yes, I'm a child lol
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:24 PM 07-22-2021
Wow, that's news. He's pretty respected, no? Or I guess, was?
It's happened twice before but the settlements were kept under wraps.

This time, the infringement is so blatant and so huge that the credits are missing from his new talent agency's website because it's that bad. I've actually been consulting on the case for about a year or so but these things take a lot of time to settle, especially when everyone's working from home, but I doubt there will be any public announcement.

As far as respect? I don't know any more. He's been out touring for the past few years in order to escape his legal and marital troubles (his wife is also suing the fuck out of him). I think that people used to care about his scores but I don't know if that's still the case.

The Oscar debacle surrounding The Dark Knight left a bad taste in people's mouths and outside of Inception, I can't really think of any definitive work he's produced (emphasis on produced because he rarely composes anymore) in the past decade.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:27 PM 07-22-2021
Jesus, that sounds like a complete cluster of a situation and a human being. Would not have guessed all that was happening.

Well it works for you - enjoy those consulting fees the longer and longer it gets stretched out! :-)
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:28 PM 07-22-2021
It's happened twice before but the settlements were kept under wraps.

This time, the infringement is so blatant and so huge that the credits are missing from his new talent agency's website because it's that bad. I've actually been consulting on the case for about a year or so but these things take a lot of time to settle, especially when everyone's working from home but I doubt there will be any public announcement.

As far as respect? I don't know any more. He's been out touring for the past few years in order to escape his legal and marital troubles (his wife is also suing the **** out of him). I think that people used to care about his scores but I don't know if that's still the case.

The Oscar debacle surrounding The Dark Knight left a bad taste in people's mouths and outside of Inception, I can't really think of any definitive work he's produced (emphasis on produced because he rarely composes anymore) in the past decade.
I think I saw where he’s doing the new Top Gun with 80s guy Harold Faltermyer?

But yea, i definitely dig his older 90s stuff rather than his new stuff.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:54 PM 07-22-2021
Jesus, that sounds like a complete cluster of a situation and a human being. Would not have guessed all that was happening.

Well it works for you - enjoy those consulting fees the longer and longer it gets stretched out! :-)
Thanks, Dude! Unfortunately, I'm doing it Pro Bono for a friend, so no extra dough, but a nice $800 dollar meal at Wolfgang Puck's Cut steakhouse in the Beverly Hills Four Seasons will definitely be in order.

:-)
[Reply]
Page 8 of 29
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up