ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 23
« First < 81415161718 19202122 > Last »
Media Center>Syfy: The Expanse
keg in kc 03:30 PM 04-14-2014
I'm really excited about this - it's a fantastic set of books that I think could translate into really good TV.

Originally Posted by :
Syfy orders 'The Expanse' series based on 'Leviathan Wakes' (think 'Game of Thrones' in space)

By James Hibberd on Apr 11, 2014 at 6:30PM

Syfy has given a direct-to-series order to an exciting-sounding new project based on an acclaimed sci-fi book series. The cable network has ordered 10 episodes of The Expanse, from Academy Award-nominated screenwriting duo Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Children of Men, Iron Man) and Alcon Television Group. The project has been described by industry insiders as “Game of Thrones in space” — not so much because of the specifics of the plot, but because it tells a dramatic sprawling grown-up story within a popular fantasy genre that’s based on a respected series of novels.

The logline: “A thriller set two hundred years in the future, The Expanse follows the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective and a rogue ship’s captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.”

The Expanse is based on a series of books by James S.A. Corey. The most well-known title is probably the first in the series, Leviathan Wakes, which has been praised for reinventing and updating the old-school Star Wars/Firefly-style space opera. Syfy won a bidding war with another content producer to acquire the project.

Syfy president Dave Howe promised, “The Expanse is epic in scale and scope and promises to be Syfy’s most ambitious series to date. Bringing this coveted book franchise to television with our partners at Alcon and the Sean Daniel Company is a giant win for Syfy, reinforcing our overall strategy to produce bold, provocative and compelling sci-fi fantasy stories. The Expanse joins a killer line-up of high-concept, high quality series, along with recently announced original projects Ascension, 12 Monkeys, the renewal of Helix, and the soon to premiere Dominion.”

Sean Daniel and Jason Brown of the Sean Daniel Company developed the original pitch, with Fergus and Ostby, and will also executive produce. “The Expanse is one of the most special pieces of material we’ve ever encountered and it has been our dream to bring it to life since the moment we read it,” Daniel and Brown said in a statement. “We couldn’t be more excited to be doing it with this team of all-stars.”

Added Alcon president Sharon Hall: “The Expanse is an addictive, sophisticated, character-driven franchise and Mark and Hawk are the perfect people to steer it. Their script is a totally immersive and accessible sci-fi journey.”
(Just FYI, the author of Leviathan Wakes, James S.A. Corey, is actually a collaberative pseudonym of authors Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. I guess EW didn't know this...)
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:30 AM 12-31-2019
Originally Posted by kc rush:
Just finished season 4 and enjoyed it. Fun to see all of the agendas unfolding. The one thing that continues to bother me is that one woman's voice. Her carton a day wheezing rasp continuously pulls me out of the story. So distracting.
How dare you.
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:58 PM 01-02-2020
Finally finished season 4.

Best season so far no question. Last two episodes are cliff-hangers; a little pissed I have to wait a year for season 5.
[Reply]
NewChief 01:25 PM 01-04-2020
Really great season. Really, really pissed to see Ashford get outplayed. Didn't really like the way that went down, as he's usually a Masterful strategist with an ace up his sleeve.

Murtry might be the best villain they've had on the show yet. Really nasty dude.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:14 PM 01-05-2020
I mean be thankful he even came back at all after the brief cancellation.

.. Though, you know, it could have even been better dramatically had he not returned as Ashford and it was Drummer instead.
[Reply]
keg in kc 06:13 PM 10-08-2020
Fucking December!!!!!!!

OMG. This season is going to rock.

Literally.

:-)

Full disclosure: I did not like the book this season is based on the first time I read it, for reasons I won't spoil here now. But after reading through it again, as well as what follows, it became one of my favorites.
[Reply]
stumppy 11:31 AM 10-24-2020
Hell yes! Only 1 1/2 months to go.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:07 AM 10-30-2020
Ok, give me guidance -

Watch this or Ozark? I'm starting both from the beginning.
[Reply]
bowener 01:02 AM 10-30-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Ok, give me guidance -

Fuck Ozark. That shit gets boring and isn't anything new or original.

Watch The Expanse. Then when you've finished it, rewatch it instead of watching Ozark. The Expanse starts slow, so be aware and be patient.
[Reply]
Fish 09:57 AM 10-30-2020
Ok, give me guidance -

Ozark is OK. But Expanse is way better. I admit I'm a sucker for scifi. But it's a very good show regardless.
[Reply]
stumppy 10:01 AM 10-30-2020
Ok, give me guidance -

No contest! The Expanse.
[Reply]
RealSNR 12:22 AM 11-25-2020
Renewed for a 6th... and FINAL season. Yeah, I don't quite understand how they're going to weave 5 remaining books into 2 seasons. Granted, I've also only read the first book of the series, so maybe there's something in it all that I'm missing.

The authors have been working with the showrunner for the entire duration, so I assume they're not just going to take a huge shit on the remaining season just because time is up for whatever reason.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-exp...ng-1234621032/
[Reply]
Third Eye 09:12 PM 11-25-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Renewed for a 6th... and FINAL season. Yeah, I don't quite understand how they're going to weave 5 remaining books into 2 seasons. Granted, I've also only read the first book of the series, so maybe there's something in it all that I'm missing.

The authors have been working with the showrunner for the entire duration, so I assume they're not just going to take a huge shit on the remaining season just because time is up for whatever reason.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-exp...ng-1234621032/
You neglected to mention that Cas Anvar will not be in season 6.
[Reply]
keg in kc 08:07 PM 11-27-2020
My initial response to this when I saw it a couple of days ago was disappointment.

I just don't think they can wrap it up in one season. They'll have to scrap almost everything. I guess we're lucky to get as much as we have.
[Reply]
unlurking 09:00 PM 11-27-2020
Haven't read book 5 & 6 yet, but a friend says ending after the 6th book is actually a perfect break.
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:10 PM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
You neglected to mention that Cas Anvar will not be in season 6.
I assume the character of Alex will be re-cast?

They already did it with Avasarala's husband, though that's certainly not as important of a role.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 23
« First < 81415161718 19202122 > Last »
Up