ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Bernout Sanders Battling With Staffers About 15/HR
Titty Meat 12:38 PM 07-19-2019
https://www.newsweek.com/sanders-cam...ederal-1450103

ampaign workers for Bernie Sanders have taken aim at one of the senator's key policies in his 2020 presidential run raising the federal minimum wage.

According to The Washington Post, some members of Sanders' campaign team have been lobbying to raise their wages so that they make the $15 hourly rate that the Vermont senator has frequently called for both on the campaign trail and in Washington D.C.

The Post obtained a draft of a letter that the campaign's union planned to send to Sanders' campaign manager Faiz Shakir which read in part that workers "cannot be expected to build the largest grassroots organizing program in American history while making poverty wages. Given our campaign's commitment to fighting for a living wage of at least $15.00 an hour, we believe it is only fair that the campaign would carry through this commitment to its own field team."

The letter states that field organizers are working at least 60 hours a week, which lowers the average per hour pay to $13 an hour.

"Many field staffers are barely managing to survive financially, which is severely impacting our team's productivity and morale. Some field organizers have already left the campaign as a result," the letter said,

According to documents reviewed by the newspaper, the issues regarding wages extend back to May 2019, though talks between the campaign union and Shakir appear to be ongoing. It is unknown if Sanders is aware of the requests from campaign workers.

Bernie Sanders
Democratic presidential hopeful and U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) speaks on healthcare at George Washington University July 17, 2019 in Washington, DC. Sanders renewed his campaign promise from 2016 to provide a single payer system of healthcare for all Americans.
ALEX WONG/GETTY
Sanders' campaign became the first to unionize, a move which was publicized in Mach 2019, just weeks after the senator announced his 2020 presidential run. Since then, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro have both unionized their campaign workers.

According to the agreement made between Sanders campaign and the union, which began on May 2, field workers were to be paid $36,000 annually rather than by hours worked. However, on May 17, the Post states that Shakir recommended that field organizer pay be raised to $42,000 during a staff meeting. In the same meeting, he also suggested that the work-week be extended to six days a week the union's letter said.

According to the Post, the union rejected Shakir's plan, in part because of the healthcare costs that would fall to the campaign workers to pay.

This month, workers used Slack an instant messaging service utilized by many companies and organizations, including the Sanders' campaign to express distress at not being paid a "living wage."

"I am struggling financially to do my job, and in my state, we've already had 4 people quit in the past 4 weeks because of financial struggles," one worker told Shakir via the service, according to the Post.

Another said he needed a raise, "because I need to be able to feed myself."

Shakir later responded to the messages, the Post said, telling workers they were owed an explanation about where things stood between the campaign and the union. He also expressed disappointment in the union voting against raising wages, saying, "I have no idea what debates and conversations were had, but candidly, it was a disappointing vote from my perspective. But the campaign leadership respected the union process and the will of the membership."

According to the Post, the union plans to send a new proposal to the Sanders campaign that includes a $46,800 salary for field organizers and $62,400 for regional field directors. Regional directors currently make $48,000 a year.

The proposal also asks for the campaign to pay 100 percent of healthcare costs for workers who make less than $36,000 a year, and to pay 85 percent for those who make over $36,000.

The news over the negotiations come after the House of Representatives passed a bill to raise the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour. Following the vote, Sanders posted on Twitter to praise the House for passing the bill.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:41 PM 07-19-2019
Bernie is just wasting his breath.

His ideas are way too radical and provide very little cost saving measure to actually make work. $15 minimum wage? Medicare for all?

Fucking joke.
[Reply]
Iowanian 08:58 PM 07-19-2019
Who wants to tell them that a salary based on $15 isn't $48k?

If he's paying people that are essentially interns doing shit a speaking monkey could do, I'd say that's fair enough

I think it's hilarious that he's catching the shit on this because the $15 min will start a financial shitstorm for employers who already have staff at 15-17-20-+.

Think unions aren't going to expect an $8 adjustment for everyone else too?
[Reply]
cooper barrett 09:26 PM 07-19-2019
I thought Staffer = Intern in employment terms, you are trying out for a job in Washington...IJS

Campaign union??? WTF!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by neech:
Why did they take the job to begin with knowing what the job pays I ask you.

[Reply]
cooper barrett 09:33 PM 07-19-2019
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Who wants to tell them that a salary based on $15 isn't $48k? At 60 hours a week depending on state.

If he's paying people that are essentially interns doing shit a speaking monkey could do, I'd say that's fair enough

I think it's hilarious that he's catching the shit on this because the $15 min will start a financial shitstorm for employers who already have staff at 15-17-20-+.

Think unions aren't going to expect an $8 adjustment for everyone else too?
Unions, they are the problem here.... unemployable people demanding more money and health insurance...

When he gets elected and everyone gets free healthcare, he will back pay to $15 hour NO THEY WANT BOTH NOW
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:00 PM 07-19-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I'm sure has enough money to do so and it's a really bad look for him. He should probably correct that and give those staffers back pay.
Dude has 3 mansions so yeah
[Reply]
Easy 6 02:41 PM 07-20-2019
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor:
Bernie should do everybody a favor and just drop out off the race.
You should do everybody a favor and drop off this board
[Reply]
displacedinMN 02:50 PM 07-20-2019
Another BURNing proposal. Maybe it should have its own thread

Senator Bernie Sanders calls for scrapping electoral college after new analysis shows Trump has baked-in advantage https://t.co/9BFkZBkJNr

— Dr Kazoo (@kgopinion) July 20, 2019

[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:14 PM 07-20-2019
Who the fuck thinks he's doing this for anything more than attention, his usual every-4-years payoff, and some political favors?

I'm sure in meetings nobody will be in, Bernie tells them the price to NOT file for having been cheated (like he was in 2016), and the price for him not running as an independent. He really does hold all the cards..

So, like Trump should do, he lies like a MoFo and tells idiots (people at McDonalds who think they're worth $15 an hour) what they want to hear - $15 an hour.

Trump should say $16 an hour, just so the press will have to ask, "how are you going to pay for that", right after they claim "Trump's $16 an hour is going to bankrupt businesses."
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:55 PM 07-20-2019
Originally Posted by Munson:
He must be running out of other people's money.
:-)
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:56 PM 07-20-2019
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Another BURNing proposal. Maybe it should have its own thread
If they think they can't win, then they change the rules. What does this tell ya' if they ever took power?
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:58 PM 07-20-2019
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
imagine the FMW became $15/hr. then his staffers really have a complaint. I didn't study Intersectional Transgendered Semitic-African Diaspora with a minor in Poli-Sci at Berkeley just so I could work a minimum wage gig.
:-)
[Reply]
Over Yonder 10:44 PM 07-20-2019
I hate the fact that people just simply don't understand that all dollars are not created equal. I've said in another thread, our household income is around 85k/yr here in North Missouri and we live very, very comfortable. In Los Angles, probably not so much.

A federal minimum wage should be based on the poorest areas in the nation. It's a federal minimum after all. If state and/or local places want to up their wages, AWESOME!! More power to 'em :-)

The federal minimum wage is supposed to attempt to prevent sweat shops, not make folks that scrub toilets at the 7-11 wealthy. If you wanna get rich, look for employment somewhere besides McDonalds. It's really pretty simple.

My actual personal opinion is this should be a state issue. Better yet, a county or district issue. My 85k probably isn't too awesome in St. Louis or K.C. either But I know that would never fly with most folks. It's a yummy talking point to buy votes with :-)
[Reply]
Bump 10:48 PM 07-20-2019
It's "do what I say, not as I do"
[Reply]
Flying High D 09:00 AM 07-21-2019
Every Demonicrap business owner should pay the employees $15 a hour. Set the standard. Show America how it’s done, damn it.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:03 AM 07-21-2019
:-) First they all raise their hands for a permanent image in support of free healthcare for illegals now Bernie proves right the critics of his own minimum wage plan. Rs don't even have to come up with their own campaign material, the lib clown show writes it for them.

Democrat presidential candidate Bernie Sanders announced this weekend he will cut staffers' hours so that they can effectively be paid a $15-an-hour minimum wage, prompting mockery from critics who say the move is more evidence that Sanders' plan to raise the national minimum wage is hypocritical and would only lead to less work and more unemployment.

The Washington Post first reported last Thursday that Sanders' field staffers were upset that Sanders championed a $15 minimum wage on the campaign trail, and made headlines for railing against major corporations who pay "starvation wages" -- even as his own employees made "poverty wages."...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ber...mpting-mockery
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up