ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>I don't think we can pay Jones AND Brown.
Chris Meck 09:58 AM 01-08-2023
I will freely admit that my understanding of the cap implications may be flawed.

But I can't see how we can pay them both and field 53 NFL level players, considering we have 33 under contract.

I also don't think we can bring Juju back under almost any circumstances.

Somebody show me I'm wrong.

And if it's between keeping Jones or keeping Brown, I'm keeping Jones and either drafting a LT or sending a #2 to Green Bay for Nijman.
[Reply]
O.city 10:16 AM 01-08-2023
Signing them would actually open cap space
[Reply]
Urc Burry 10:57 AM 01-08-2023
I mean we easily could even without even getting creative. We just traded away a 25 mil/yr receiver. Jones is already factored into the cap at a huge number. And Brown by all accounts seems to want a 5-6 year deal, which would be easy to work with. If Veach is set on keeping Juju around 15-18 then I would assume MVS is cut saving another 7 mil
[Reply]
mkp785 11:13 AM 01-08-2023
If we have to choose, you choose Jones. He's a leader on this team and is both a good influence on George and draws dbl and triple teams for him as well. You could probably tag and trade OBJ to some team like Chicago for a 2nd too.

That all said, I think we should be able to keep both and Juju. Mahomes contract allows for money moving and we just saved a shit ton on Reek. Why did we trade him if not to be able to use that money to re-sign other keys dudes?
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:22 AM 01-08-2023
Easiest decision ever, let Brown catch a slow boat to Shanghai and use the savings to pay Jones
[Reply]
RealSNR 12:13 PM 01-08-2023
Bakhtiari's career is probably over. Why would the Packers be willing to trade Nijman for a 2 when they probably need him more than we do?
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:19 PM 01-08-2023
You should be able to structure their deals so you have room each season moving forward. Thuney’s contract should give us an out in 2024 as well, so I’m sure they’ll be looking for his replacement.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:41 PM 01-08-2023
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Bakhtiari's career is probably over. Why would the Packers be willing to trade Nijman for a 2 when they probably need him more than we do?
because Bahktiari is $30m dollars next year, $23m to cut, and they just signed Jenkins to a big deal? It's almost $50m at OT right now.

It's get something for Nijman or let him walk a year later for nothing.

and I don't think Bahktiari's career is over. I think he probably tried to come back too early from the ACL, and favoring that leg has led to the ongoing knee situation.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:43 PM 01-08-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
Signing them would actually open cap space
No, Brown's not on next year's cap at all.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:45 PM 01-08-2023
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Easiest decision ever, let Brown catch a slow boat to Shanghai and use the savings to pay Jones
Thing is, there's no "savings".

Brown's not on the cap at all next year. So he's not part of the "50m" available money after cutting Clark.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:56 PM 01-08-2023
We're more than fine to do those two deals. We're at about 28 million in projected space before doing anything, gain 19.6 from cutting Clark, and can free up 34.9 more by restructuring Mahomes. That's about 75 million in space.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:04 PM 01-08-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
We're more than fine to do those two deals. We're at about 28 million in projected space before doing anything, gain 19.6 from cutting Clark, and can free up 34.9 more by restructuring Mahomes. That's about 75 million in space.
And you’ll probably end up lowering Jones hit with a new deal…unless they choose to do it another way.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:05 PM 01-08-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I'd really rather not kick the can down the road just to overpay for Orlando Brown.

Man, if we don't, and Buffalo and Cinci are paying more for their guys than we're paying for Mahomes, we will have a big advantage for like a decade.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:07 PM 01-08-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
And you’ll probably end up lowering Jones hit with a new deal…unless they choose to do it another way.
Sure, but if you do THAT, you're probably squeezing out a Sneed extension and a Gay extension. I'm not saying we shouldn't do that.

I guess I'm interested in what the consequences or possible consequences are in extending Jones. Like, what it means with the rest of the team.

And I don't want to pay anything more than an average LT salary to Brown, because that's what he is, an average LT. But that's just me.

I'm actually ok with all of this other than overpaying Brown, because I tend to believe that you should prioritize the defensive line and pass rush in particular over the secondary with the rules being what they are.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:24 PM 01-08-2023
You can definitely do it. But it will piss everybody off in March bc “we aren’t doing anything OMFG Veach get off you’re fucking ass every body is getting better?!?!?!” emotional fans.

Keep your guys. Draft talent. Use FA to get value like McKinnon, Bell, Juju and Eric Reid.

This season should be a lesson in why the draft matters so much. We don’t need to drop money on expensive ass external players over our own.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up