ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 31
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>OT Rankings
KChiefs1 10:08 AM 03-03-2021
https://theathletic.com/2419203/2021...ds-deep-class/

Dane Brugler:

1. Penei Sewell, Oregon (6-foot-6, 300 pounds)
Malaeimi, American Samoa (Desert Hills); Age: 20.56

2. Rashawn Slater, Northwestern (6-foot-4, 308 pounds)
Sugar Land, Texas (Clements); Age: 22.09

3. Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech (6-foot-5, 315 pounds)
Upper Marlboro, Md. (Riverdale); Age: 21.91

4. Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State (6-foot-7, 320 pounds)
Topeka, Kan. (Topeka); Age: 23.16

5. Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame (6-foot-5, 301 pounds)
Cleveland, Ohio (Saint Ignatius); Age: 23.28

6. Samuel Cosmi, Texas (6-foot-7, 310 pounds)
Humble, Texas (Atascocita); Age: 22.20

7. James Hudson, Cincinnati (6-foot-4, 302 pounds)
Toledo, Ohio (Central Catholic); Age: 21.96

8. D’Ante Smith, East Carolina (6-foot-5, 294 pounds)
Augusta, Ga. (Grovetown); Age: 22.89

9. Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State (6-foot-6, 304 pounds)
Becker, Minn. (Becker); Age: 23.09

10. Walker Little, Stanford (6-foot-7, 320 pounds)
Houston, Texas (Episcopal); Age: 22.08

11. Brady Christensen, BYU (6-foot-6, 300 pounds)
Bountiful, Utah (Bountiful)

12. Spencer Brown, Northern Iowa (6-foot-8, 314 pounds)
Lenox, Iowa (Lenox); Age: 23.09
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:16 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
Does this need to be explained? LT is a premier position. You put your best protector there. I don’t want to go into the season counting on Niang at LT. He’s never played LT and it’s too risky when he’s protecting Mahomes. Drafting a LT at 31 is too risky unless one of the top 3 fall, which they won’t. At minimum, Niang would need to beat out a stop gap LT that we sign and the stop gap could be depth. You don’t go into the season with Niang penciled in as the starter at LT.
Do you really think this hasn't all been discussed AD NAUSEUM for months now?

We don't know what the plan is.

Maybe it's Niang at LT. Maybe it's not.

Maybe it's draft a kid at #31, or maybe it's #63.

Maybe it's pair that with a stop-gap short term guy like Okung. Probably, this is the plan.

Maybe it's trade for a LT from another NFL roster. Who knows? We don't. Veach knows, and he's not talking.

Niang was a first round talent that fell in the draft because of a hip injury. I expect he's in the plans at one side or the other.

I wouldn't expect anything to just be handed to a rookie right out of the gate.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:24 PM 04-07-2021
Dane Brugler’s “The Beast” on OT’s:

[Reply]
kcbubb 09:30 PM 04-07-2021
I disputed dane’s post below that penciling in Niang is the plan. That’s a stupid plan and taking the position that maybe we should Pencil Niang at lt is stupid. And also noting that he’s receiving instruction for presumably being lt when he’s clearly winded in a weak workout and is only working the right side is stupid. I know y’all love Dane but penciling Niang at the premier position of lt and protecting possibly the best qb ever is a dumb suggestion. Several people flamed direckshun for saying that offseason failed bc we didn’t address wr, de or LT yet but Dane gets to say this? Maybe he gets special treatment bc he’s a mod now?

Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Do you really think this hasn't all been discussed AD NAUSEUM for months now?

We don't know what the plan is.

Maybe it's Niang at LT. Maybe it's not.

Maybe it's draft a kid at #31, or maybe it's #63.

Maybe it's pair that with a stop-gap short term guy like Okung. Probably, this is the plan.

Maybe it's trade for a LT from another NFL roster. Who knows? We don't. Veach knows, and he's not talking.

Niang was a first round talent that fell in the draft because of a hip injury. I expect he's in the plans at one side or the other.

I wouldn't expect anything to just be handed to a rookie right out of the gate.
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Yep.

Or maybe they've already penciled in Niang at LT, which is why Remmers' agent said he was the Week 1 starter.

To be quite honest, I'm not sure I see the difference between drafting Jenkins at #31, only to switch him over to the left side, and starting Niang at LT.

I mean, if they're going to move a guy, why not move the guy that's spent the last year training per the Chiefs instruction?

[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:36 PM 04-07-2021
I disputed dane’s post below that penciling in Niang is the plan. That’s a stupid plan and taking the position that maybe we should Pencil Niang at lt is stupid. And also noting that he’s receiving instruction for presumably being lt when he’s clearly winded in a weak workout and is only working the right side is stupid. I know y’all love Dane but penciling Niang at the premier position of lt and protecting possibly the best qb ever is a dumb suggestion. Several people flamed direckshun for saying that offseason failed bc we didn’t address wr, de or LT yet but Dane gets to say this? Maybe he gets special treatment bc he’s a mod now?
I see now why your rep is so red.

You're a jack-ass.

It's fucking April. Nothing has been failed.

If it's September and Mike fucking Remmers is starting at Left Tackle, then we can talk about failing the offseason.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:37 PM 04-07-2021
Dane isn’t a mod. :-). That was an April Fools joke.
[Reply]
kcbubb 09:40 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Dane isn’t a mod. :-). That was an April Fools joke.
Lol... thank goodness!! I’ve been here a longtime but I don’t post much. Glad to hear that!!! He’s an ass. Glad Meck is buddies with him.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:43 PM 04-07-2021
Lol... thank goodness!! I’ve been here a longtime but I don’t post much. Glad to hear that!!! He’s an ass. Glad Meck is buddies with him.
What?

:-)
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:54 PM 04-07-2021
You know who knows what the Chiefs plan is for the tackle positions?

Brett Veach, Andy Reid, and Andy Heck.

That's it.

That's who knows. All of the rest of us, including you are speculating.

If Niang has been working out, and the team is comfortable with him at Left Tackle, then it's not stupid. We don't know that they HAVE been, and we don't know that they HAVEN'T been. We have no idea, and they're not telling.

I'm not saying (and Dane wasn't either) that Niang IS THE PLAN at LT. We're speculating what if? Because it's April, and we're bored.

I doubt it, myself. That doesn't seem like an Andy Reid move. I think something more like drafting a Radunz, Little or Brown at #63 and signing an Okung/Villanueva type to man it for awhile until the kid is ready seems more likely with Niang fighting it out with Remmers for RT. That seems like a workable situation and good depth.

As for RT vs. LT, in this offense, it's the same skillset. In some offenses, you can get away with a road grader type at RT, but not with our deep drops and downfield routes. Schwartz tweeted as much just this week when asked. So a guy who's played RT but has the measurables and agility to play LT in any offense can play either spot, it's really the same skillset, just mirrored. RT's have to play head up on just about as many premier pass rushers as LT's anymore. And Niang shut down Chase Young and Nick Bosa in college. So no, it's not a stupid idea.

But we don't know, and you don't either.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:58 PM 04-07-2021

No https://t.co/9I7n5DO3hn

— Mitchell Schwartz (@MitchSchwartz71) April 5, 2021

[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:10 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I think people are really way too caught up on this RIGHT TACKLE vs. LEFT TACKLE thing.

Some kids may be right tackles only, but if so they wouldn't really be a good option for us in KC even to play right tackle.

Just because someone played right tackle in college doesn't mean they couldn't play left tackle, it just means that another player was already there and doing a decent job so they left it alone. It doesn't mean they couldn't have done it.

If a guy has the measurables and the agility, then it's really just technique.

Now, some of the right tackles in certain offenses won't work in KC because they can't hang with the Von Millers and Bosa's and what have you in pass protection in this offense. But the Left vs. right thing I think is looking at it all wrong.
[Reply]
kcbubb 10:23 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I think people are really way too caught up on this RIGHT TACKLE vs. LEFT TACKLE thing.

Some kids may be right tackles only, but if so they wouldn't really be a good option for us in KC even to play right tackle.

Just because someone played right tackle in college doesn't mean they couldn't play left tackle, it just means that another player was already there and doing a decent job so they left it alone. It doesn't mean they couldn't have done it.

If a guy has the measurables and the agility, then it's really just technique.

Now, some of the right tackles in certain offenses won't work in KC because they can't hang with the Von Millers and Bosa's and what have you in pass protection in this offense. But the Left vs. right thing I think is looking at it all wrong.
I’m so weary of this. Watch the movie the blind side. Maybe that will help.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:26 PM 04-07-2021
Yeah, you're clearly an idiot.

Go get your football knowledge from Sandra Bullock.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:49 PM 04-07-2021
See, your problem is an assumption that is incorrect.

In your mind, people play RIGHT tackle because they're not good enough to play LEFT tackle.

That may be true in some cases, but not necessarily. There are any number of factors that led to kids playing one side or the other in college. There are lots of kids that played LEFT tackle in college that don't have the physical attributes to handle that spot in the NFL. Short arms, poor agility, any of those issues will mean they aren't going to be able to play LEFT TACKLE in the NFL. They may be GUARDS, or in some offenses may be able to play RIGHT tackle. In SOME OFFENSES.

Take Orlando Brown Jr. 3rd round pick, played RIGHT tackle at a high level. Due to injury, moved over and played well at LEFT tackle last season. Now he wants to remain at LEFT tackle because they get paid more.

He's not a good fit for LEFT tackle in KC's offense in my and many others' opinion as he's not particularly agile. In a balanced or run-first team, he's fine.
He'd be good in Tennessee, for example.

In KC, because of the deep drops and downfield routes, we need superior pass protectors at both spots, which reguires length, and long arms, and good lateral agility.

The era in which Lawrence Taylor changed the way people thought about the offensive line is way, way in the past. Many if not most teams now have multiple dangerous pass rushers, coming from both edges and sometimes even inside (see Chris Jones). So the 'blind side' is important yes, but so is the right side.

Now take Lucas Niang (who I doubt is the penciled in starter at Left tackle, but I expect is in a competition with Remmers for the Right tackle job). Niang played RIGHT tackle in college, because there was another player at LEFT tackle already, and then they chose to leave him there for continuity's sake. He was in the conversation to be the first lineman taken in that draft and might've been had he not injured his hip. Not because he wasn't GOOD ENOUGH to play left tackle. He shut down Chase Young and Nick Bosa.

This is a perception problem that is in your head, but is not the reality.

If you can give me ONE intelligent reason why Niang can't play Left Tackle, I'm all ears.

'he played RT in college' is not an intelligent reason.

Give me ONE reason that he would be unable to play left tackle.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:31 PM 04-07-2021
Because he has skinny calves, duh.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:36 AM 04-08-2021
:-)
[Reply]
Page 20 of 31
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Up