ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 21 of 33
« First < 111718192021 2223242531 > Last »
Media Center>Avengers (4) Endgame - Spoilers Welcome Thread
DaFace 08:09 PM 04-23-2019
Since Endgame is probably one of the most anticipated films we've had here in a while, let's quarantine all discussion from those who have seen the film (or who have otherwise read spoilers). If you don't want to see stuff get spoiled, stay out!

(And this will likely be the last time I view this thread until Friday, so if you need me to put something in the OP or similar, shoot me a PM. I won't read posts in here.)
[Reply]
Rausch 07:37 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Would have been a hell of a lot cooler than OMG WE'RE WOMEN LOOK AT US EVERYBODY DUCK LIPS
Well apparently that's the whole next phase so...
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:59 AM 05-06-2019
The more I think about Professor Hulk, the more the way they ended up portraying him sucks. I guess it was all about Tony Stark though in the end, and they didn't want Hulk stealing the show, again.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:02 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
The more I think about Professor Hulk, the more the way they ended up portraying him sucks. I guess it was all about Tony Stark though in the end, and they didn't want Hulk stealing the show, again.
Yeah, that's the most glaring issue in an otherwise really solid show for me. I just wish that he could kind of swing between Hulk and Banner at will rather than being just Banner with a big green body.
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:11 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yeah, that's the most glaring issue in an otherwise really solid show for me. I just wish that he could kind of swing between Hulk and Banner at will rather than being just Banner with a big green body.
I actually don't mind it, as I think it's a sensible conclusion to the Ruffalo arc, but they didn't really transition it very well from Infinity Wars.

It went straight from "two consciousnesses sharing the same body" to "Banner now just runs Hulk's body" with not a ton of explanation.

I like the development, personally, but I'm a Marvel homer. I just wish they had explained it a bit more thoroughly.

Even though this was a 3.5 hour movie.
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:12 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Would have been a hell of a lot cooler than OMG WE'RE WOMEN LOOK AT US EVERYBODY DUCK LIPS
:-)

The resident Incel has spoken.

Truth be told, I got goosebumps at that moment knowing that Clay was in another theater somewhere pissed off that women got a scene.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:12 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I actually don't mind it, as I think it's a sensible conclusion to the Ruffalo arc, but they didn't really transition it very well from Infinity Wars.

It went straight from "two consciousnesses sharing the same body" to "Banner now just runs Hulk's body" with not a ton of explanation.

I like the development, personally, but I'm a Marvel homer. I just wish they had explained it a bit more thoroughly.

But doesn't the lack of "Hulk" feel...sad...to you? He was a character in the series separate from Banner and, arguably, was even more important than Banner himself. I just feel like we basically saw Hulk die offscreen to be replaced by Banner taking his powers, and that's a huge bummer.

To put it another way, it seems like "Hulk SMASH" isn't a thing anymore, and that sucks.
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:13 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
It was good, but IMO Infinity War was a much better movie.
I agree -- Infinity War had the cleaner narrative.

But I don't think I've ever seen a movie have bigger balls than this one.

The shit they tried in this movie is just unthinkable. What an explosion of creativity, and a very good way to end Phase 3.
[Reply]
Fish 11:16 AM 05-06-2019
But doesn't the lack of "Hulk" feel...sad...to you? He was a character in the series separate from Banner and, arguably, was even more important than Banner himself. I just feel like we basically saw Hulk die offscreen to be replaced by Banner taking his powers, and that's a huge bummer.
Exactly the way it felt to me.
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:16 AM 05-06-2019
I'd feel pretty lousy if they couldn't fill the void. I don't need the same characters to inspire me over and over again. I think they filled the Hulk void and then some in Endgame.

In particular, having Ruffalo just hang out in Hulk's physique was played with in so many comical ways. And we did get a cameo from the real Hulk as he bitched about going down the stairs. lmao

I do agree with you that Hulk's true character was unceremoniously dumped in this film as Banner seemingly assimilates him, and was done so without explanation. But you have to make narrative sacrifices in a film this big, don't you?
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:17 AM 05-06-2019
To put it another way, it seems like "Hulk SMASH" isn't a thing anymore, and that sucks.
True. We did get a little Ant Man and Captain Marvel smash, though, which was surprisingly entertaining.

They don't quite have the id-satisfying recklessness of Hulk, though. Totally agree.
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:19 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
This movie made me go back and watch THOR the Dark World again. Thats how good it was.

Too bad they never brought back Darcy again....
The biggest sin of the MCU was never doing more with Kat Dennings.

C'mon now, Marvel. I wouldn't even care if they gave us Dennings as Squirrel Girl. I can live with that continuity issue.
[Reply]
Amnorix 11:49 AM 05-06-2019

Yes, and I HATED it, but I think his character arc isn't done. It's clear that as of Endgame, Hulk CAN'T FIGHT. I mean, he goes to New York and is like, pushing a car around, and trying to figure out how to do the HULK SMASH thing, but Banner isn't about that. He's too cool-headed, rational, logical, etc. to be an effective fighter, despite the muscles.

I can't imagine that that lasts. He needs to find a happy medium. Let the 4 year old temper tantrum guy have his "hand on the wheel" at least a little bit when the time is right (to borrow his own description from Ragnarok).

Because this isn't Hulk, it's "Banner with big muscles who sucks in a fight". Can't imagine his story is complete with that as the end point.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 01:15 PM 05-06-2019

No need to explain it, just don't have Professor Hulk be a nerdier/dorkier/narcissist version of Banner.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 01:18 PM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
Yes, and I HATED it, but I think his character arc isn't done. It's clear that as of Endgame, Hulk CAN'T FIGHT. I mean, he goes to New York and is like, pushing a car around, and trying to figure out how to do the HULK SMASH thing, but Banner isn't about that. He's too cool-headed, rational, logical, etc. to be an effective fighter, despite the muscles.

I can't imagine that that lasts. He needs to find a happy medium. Let the 4 year old temper tantrum guy have his "hand on the wheel" at least a little bit when the time is right (to borrow his own description from Ragnarok).

Because this isn't Hulk, it's "Banner with big muscles who sucks in a fight". Can't imagine his story is complete with that as the end point.
I also don't remember Professor Hulk being useless in a fight from the Comics. Another aspect that I didn't care for.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:42 PM 05-06-2019
I agree -- Infinity War had the cleaner narrative.

But I don't think I've ever seen a movie have bigger balls than this one.

The shit they tried in this movie is just unthinkable. What an explosion of creativity, and a very good way to end Phase 3.
I don’t really agree. They did time travel, which has been done by so many other movies.

Before Infinity War I didn’t think it would be possible to have that many characters together in 1 movie and have it written that well with a good flow.

I think Infinity War was the best combination of funniest, most entertaining and best written movie in the MCU.
[Reply]
Page 21 of 33
« First < 111718192021 2223242531 > Last »
Up