ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 55 of 3770
« First < 5455152535455 56575859651051555551055 > Last »
The Meltdown Lounge>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 07:43 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Knowingly travels to a virus outbreak and upon returning proceeds to suggests other people are being irresponsible. Okay then.
I don't trust anything anyone says on Twitter, honestly. Great platform for attention seeking.
[Reply]
suzzer99 07:47 PM 03-05-2020
Well I know someone who knows someone who’s tested positive now. It’s a kid in San Francisco. The kid will probably be fine. But little kids coughing and sneezing all over the place is a scary vector. Stay safe out there.
[Reply]
suzzer99 07:48 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I’m glad the government finally quit lying to the public about being able to go to their doctor and get tested for the Coronavirus.

The CDC decides whether you get a kit or not. Right now, as of this afternoon late, there are 1.6 million requests for a test and around 50K test kits are available.

Do the math. Quit lying to the people. Quit wishful thinking. Quit spouting off BS. Just provide the facts. There is no reason for anyone to panic. Just tell them the ****ing truth.
I think each kit can produce 500 tests. There seems to be a lot of confusion on that.
[Reply]
TLO 07:48 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by Setsuna:
How goes the fear mongering? I'm not phased.
We're pretty rational in here, truthfully.
[Reply]
suzzer99 07:49 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Do people routinely not care if they give their elderly parent the flu? Seems like a self quarantine regardless which is pretty much my point. Whether or not you are tested is not really a reason to give someone else the flu.

That said, people with obvious serious symptoms and higher risks could benefit from testing but opening it up to anyone with a sniffle would be a bad idea. People already abuse the ER unnecessarily. This would make it way worst.
Yes people take the regular flu much less seriously than they would this. The regular flu is .1% fatal case rate. This is 10x to 20x higher. Maybe 5x if we're really lucky.
[Reply]
TLO 07:49 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I think each kit can produce 500 tests. There seems to be a lot of confusion on that.
Is that how it works? I feel super uneducated.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 07:49 PM 03-05-2020
Seems to me the time to have been proactive about this was probably a week before Wuhan was quarantined by the CCP. And that proactive measure would have been to completely shut down the USA from flights originating from across the Pacific and to isolate anyone who had been in China with a readiness to shut down all incoming international air travel.

But that would have just needlessly caused a panic, right?
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:08 PM 03-05-2020
Canceled everything, only surfacing for a fried chicken taco shell, a blooming onion, flavored vape oil and a 6er of 4 loko.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 08:12 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Do people routinely not care if they give their elderly parent the flu? Seems like a self quarantine regardless which is pretty much my point. Whether or not you are tested is not really a reason to give someone else the flu.

That said, people with obvious serious symptoms and higher risks could benefit from testing but opening it up to anyone with a sniffle would be a bad idea. People already abuse the ER unnecessarily. This would make it way worst.
If it turns out to be the flu, staying home is sufficient. If it turns out to be C19, then you want to, ideally, inform anyone that you have had close contact with for instance people you work with.

Tracking down contacts and testing/isolating them before they can spread it is the only way to really stay on top of it. You need a lot of testing for this approach to work.

The alternative is to treat it like the flu. This could result in many more getting it at the same time and overwhelming hospitals. But there is no way to exactly predict the outcome of a given approach.

So the choice becomes a political/social one based on incomplete information.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:34 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Seems to me the time to have been proactive about this was probably a week before Wuhan was quarantined by the CCP. And that proactive measure would have been to completely shut down the USA from flights originating from across the Pacific and to isolate anyone who had been in China with a readiness to shut down all incoming international air travel.

But that would have just needlessly caused a panic, right?
thatís why you prepare it all up front before an outbreak. Masks, additional medical supplies stashed in say those KC caves. How are we going to ramp up a test? Who gets tested, quarantined? When do you stop travel? Whatís the criteria?

No reason for us to panic. The government and medical professionals are just preparing for the next one. There is always going to be a next one so the supplies will not go bad like hoarding WWII cheese. Work with other countries to share information on what the strain is and how far itís spread. Preparation isnít rocket science nor should it be political.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:42 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
thatís why you prepare it all up front before an outbreak. Masks, additional medical supplies stashed in say those KC caves. How are we going to ramp up a test? Who gets tested, quarantined? When do you stop travel? Whatís the criteria?

No reason for us to panic. The government and medical professionals are just preparing for the next one. There is always going to be a next one so the supplies will not go bad like hoarding WWII cheese. Work with other countries to share information on what the strain is and how far itís spread. Preparation isnít rocket science nor should it be political.
Masks don't do jack shit. Stop listening to the fucking media.
[Reply]
cdcox 08:54 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
Youíve been able to get a senior discount for the last three years and itís just now hitting you? 😁
I donít self-identity with being eligible for senior-citizen discounts.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:01 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Masks don't do jack shit. Stop listening to the ****ing media.
the n95 type masks are for the medical professionals to protect themselfs while serving those affected by the outbreak.
[Reply]
cdcox 09:03 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
More than anything, why are people going to the doctor for basic cold/flu symptoms?
Tamiflu requires a prescription and is only worthwhile if taken in the first 24-48 hours. It is reasonable behavior.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:12 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
Tamiflu requires a prescription and is only worthwhile if taken in the first 24-48 hours. It is reasonable behavior.
That's pussy shit
[Reply]
Page 55 of 3770
« First < 5455152535455 56575859651051555551055 > Last »
Up