ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Mahomes pocket presence improving
chiefzilla1501 05:53 PM 09-26-2022
I’m tired of being negative. Let’s talk about a positive from the first few games.

Patrick mahomes has played some elite defenses and despite not having as much elite receiver talent, he’s only taken 2 sacks for 15 yards. I think he made it a point of emphasis in the off-season. He is doing less of the dancing to the outside and is really starting to slide around the pocket. I’d argue that his maneuverability is next level. He looks slippery in a way we’re not really used to because now he’s making intelligent choices in the pocket.

For perspective, burrow has taken 15 sacks right now.

It may not be sexy and I know some think he should play to his strength and work outside the pocket. I think he’s building a new skill and one that will be way more important many years down the road. They tried to get Big Ben to do the same and arguably Russell Wilson to protect their long term investment. But it just hasn’t stuck. They need to run around and improvise to succeed. With any new skill there will be some bumps. But he will get better and better at it. Hang in there and watch the young man grow.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 05:55 PM 09-26-2022
It has improved.

I'd love to see him have a real OC to help him hone reading defenses with that improved pocket presence
[Reply]
A Salt Weapon 06:00 PM 09-26-2022
There was a play in the last game where he should have been blown up for a sack. He did a little pump fake back step thing and the defender completely avoided him. I’m surprised it didn’t get any attention because it was a beautiful way to avoid a sack.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:03 PM 09-26-2022
The dude is a fucking magician. Offense might be struggling but it’s not because Mahomes has regressed to the timid version of mid-season last year.
[Reply]
SupDock 06:04 PM 09-26-2022
I want to see the All 22 to see how covered our WR are.
[Reply]
BWillie 06:05 PM 09-26-2022
You are right, his pocket presence does look improved but he's scrambling with his legs for first downs less than ever. Which is fine until its the playoffs then unleash the fury
[Reply]
wheeler08 06:24 PM 09-26-2022
I concur. But from watching the game in the stands, there was several plays where I thought he could easily run for first downs and he tried to make more happen by throwing it.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:20 PM 09-26-2022
Originally Posted by wheeler08:
I concur. But from watching the game in the stands, there was several plays where I thought he could easily run for first downs and he tried to make more happen by throwing it.
I saw that too. Maybe Reid is overemphasizing this so mahomes learns.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:20 PM 09-26-2022
Originally Posted by SupDock:
I want to see the All 22 to see how covered our WR are.
Granted I had a lot of drinks but they didn’t seem to be getting much separation at all
[Reply]
scho63 07:50 PM 09-26-2022
I like a lot of the improvement and my only small complaint is there has been times he had big running lanes and refused to go.

I know it's best for his health long term but it is frustrating at times.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 07:54 PM 09-26-2022
If MVS and Hardman can't get open we are in trouble. Andy needs to get Watson and Sky more time in the game.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:56 PM 09-26-2022
He's looked pretty damn good considering MVS and Hardman are basically nonexistent in getting open.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:02 PM 09-26-2022
He’s not running for his life as often . That used to annoy me (because obv I could do better as an nfl QB). But for real, spike the ball into the ground if it’s not there on 3&8. All the greats do this
[Reply]
BWillie 08:13 PM 09-26-2022
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
If MVS and Hardman can't get open we are in trouble. Andy needs to get Watson and Sky more time in the game.
They've never been able to be counted on to get open in the past so I'm not sure why all of you thought they would be able to do it this year.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:13 PM 09-26-2022
Originally Posted by lewdog:
He's looked pretty damn good considering MVS and Hardman are basically nonexistent in getting open.
MVS was open 2x in the first three plays on offense.

Hardman is a lost cause.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up