ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 63 of 63
« First < 13535960616263
Media Center>CBS: Star Trek
keg in kc 03:47 PM 11-02-2015

Originally Posted by :
The Next Chapter of the Legendary “Star Trek” TV Franchise Will Premiere on the CBS Television Network, Then Move to CBS All Access Digital Subscription Service

Alex Kurtzman, Co-Writer and Producer of the Blockbuster Films

“Star Trek” and “Star Trek Into Darkness,” to Executive Produce

CBS Studios International to Distribute the Series Globally

For Television and Multiple Platforms

STUDIO CITY, CALIF. AND NEW YORK, N.Y. – Nov. 2, 2015 – CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new “Star Trek” television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the “Star Trek” franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous “Star Trek” television series.

The brand-new “Star Trek” will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new “Star Trek” TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films “Star Trek” (2009) with Roberto Orci, and “Star Trek Into Darkness” (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series SCORPION and LIMITLESS, along with Kadin and Orci, and for HAWAII FIVE-0 with Orci.

“Star Trek,” which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original “Star Trek” spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the “Star Trek” television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original “Star Trek” series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give ‘Star Trek’ fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic ‘Star Trek,’ and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the ‘Star Trek’ franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce ‘Star Trek’s’ next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016

[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:50 PM 11-25-2021
Hollywood speculation about Brad Pitt in discussions for a Star Trek movie. Maybe the Tarantino version? Has he publicly said what his last movie is?

————————————————-

It’s entirely possible that he’s talking to them about a brand new movie that no one has heard about yet. It’s also possible that this is a sign that Quentin Tarantino Star Trek movie is back on the table.

Mark L. Smith, who wrote The Revenant, co-wrote a Star Trek script with Quentin Tarantino. The story is said to be rated-R and includes tropes from 1930s gangster movies. While Tarantino has said some conflicting things about whether he’d ever actually make this movie, or direct it, it is a project that he has talked about a lot in interviews.

While Margot Robbie and Brad Pitt were promoting Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood, a Quentin Tarantino film they both starred in, they were asked if they’d want to be in a Tarantino Star Trek movie. They both said they’d love to do it. Quentin Tarantino often works with the same actors on multiple projects. While it’s been impossible to judge the odds of the Quentin Tarantino project ever happening, the idea of Brad Pitt talking to the studio about that one is certainly intriguing.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 11:55 PM 11-25-2021
I want to live in a universe that this Tarantino Trek movie exists solely for the fact I would expect it to be so fucking terrible that it may go all the way around to being good again.

Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie in Trek? Why not Leonardo DiCaprio and John Travolta while we are at it?

[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:10 AM 11-26-2021
They didn’t want to pay Chris Pine’s price a few years ago but they’re going to pay Pitt? Pitt would have to take a huge discount to ever get such a movie made.
[Reply]
notorious 08:39 AM 11-26-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
They didn’t want to pay Chris Pine’s price a few years ago but they’re going to pay Pitt? Pitt would have to take a huge discount to ever get such a movie made.
None of it makes any sense, but look at the direction all the new Star Trek stuff is going.

We all love Pitt, but Pine is 5x the actor on top of it all.
[Reply]
Mennonite 08:41 AM 11-26-2021
"Say 'Qapla' again, mother****er!"

I don't know who I'd pick to make a good Trek flick, but if I was making a list Tarantino would be near the bottom. In fact , I think Tarantino ****ing sucks.

P.S. Remember this old pic?

I always thought it wss pretty neat. Since I'm still practicing Photoshop stuff I thought I'd see if I could do something similar. Total disaster. I just spent 2 days trying to Photoshop someone into a Cardassian. The best of the bunch turned out looking like the Borg Queen with a bunch of snake themed refrigerator magnets stuck to her face.

P.P.S. I just read that Bob Herron died recently. He was a stunt man in hundreds of tv shows and movies, but TOS fans might remember him as Kahless in The Savage Curtain or as the laughing dude in the gym who Charlie X wishes into the cornfield. I'll always remember him from his work on The Wild Wild West; he was Ross Martin's stunt double and made several more appearances in bit parts.

[Reply]
Mennonite 09:12 AM 11-27-2021
Anyone hoping that there will be good Trek anytime soon can forget about it:

In a Sunday New York Times profile, it was first reported that CBS Studios has renegotiated their deal with Alex Kurtzman. The new $160 million deal has now extended his stay for five and a half years, putting him in charge of the Star Trek Universe through at least 2026

https://trekmovie.com/2021/08/01/via...-on-paramount/

[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:22 AM 11-27-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Anyone hoping that there will be good Trek anytime soon can forget about it:

In a Sunday New York Times profile, it was first reported that CBS Studios has renegotiated their deal with Alex Kurtzman. The new $160 million deal has now extended his stay for five and a half years, putting him in charge of the Star Trek Universe through at least 2026
If Tarantino wants his last movie to be a Star Trek Captain Kirk movie, he will get full control and final cut or he wont do it. And they will happily give it to him. Even if its the first "R" Star Trek movie.

Because of the advanced technology and past Star Trek universe movies, he could work in several movie genres he's never done like a gangster movie into this one.
[Reply]
Mennonite 09:30 AM 11-27-2021
I look forward to three hours of inane dialogue and countless ripoffs of ...er...I mean homages to other movies. Dude needs as editor almost as much as he needs some original ideas.

I think Tarantino appeals to a lot of people who want to think of themselves as esoteric movie buffs but who don't want to be bothered by watching a bunch of movies.
[Reply]
unlurking 01:13 PM 11-27-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
I look forward to three hours of inane dialogue and countless ripoffs of ...er...I mean homages to other movies. Dude needs as editor almost as much as he needs some original ideas.

I think Tarantino appeals to a lot of people who want to think of themselves as esoteric movie buffs but who don't want to be bothered by watching a bunch of movies.
Everyone I know (including myself) likes Tarantino movies for the humor and violence, not because they see themselves as movie buffs. Star Trek would definitely not be my first choice for a Tarantino treatment, but I can't imagine the continued shit coming from Kurtzman being any better. Sad day for Trek fans.
[Reply]
notorious 01:52 PM 11-27-2021
Tarantino had a great run back in the early/mid 90's. After that.....meh.....
[Reply]
srvy 07:18 PM 11-27-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
Tarantino had a great run back in the early/mid 90's. After that.....meh.....
Yep

Reservoir Dogs
True Romance
Pulp Fiction

After those, I just didn't care anymore.
[Reply]
notorious 08:59 PM 11-28-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
Yep

Reservoir Dogs
True Romance
Pulp Fiction

After those, I just didn't care anymore.
First half of Dusk til Dawn.

After that his movies went off the rails.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 11:33 AM 02-25-2023
I finally watched it. I did it because I thoroughly enjoy Lower Decks and I know they make references to the other shows and I wanted to get those references.

The good:

Jet Reno is a phenomenal character and Tig Notaro plays the role perfectly. Jet is by far my favorite character in anything Trek created after DS9 with Phlox a close second.

Mirror Universe Georgiou was phenomenal. I do really hope that we get to see her one more time in some future exploration of the Mirror Universe... which for me is saying a lot because I loathe the Mirror Universe.

Saru is a wonderful addition to the Trek universe and is one of the best written Trek characters in a long time.

The CGI in the show is outstanding. I was thrilled to finally see some sort of fighter on fighter action in Trek instead of just the heavyweights duking it out.

I actually enjoyed Stammets. I loved how in the beginning of the series he is an abrupt condescending asshole... then upon getting high on shrooms he mellows out. He is still an abrupt condescending asshole... but a loveable one.

The Burn was a great plot device.

The bad:

I absolutely hate how Burnham started the series as someone who was shoehorned in as Spock's adopted sister raised as a Vulcan and held on to those mannerisms until well after she became a Commander which implies several years. By the end of season 1 she has dropped any pretense of her Vulcan upbringing outside of a very framed and emphasized eyebrow raise when talking about Spock and the occasional use of the word "Logic". The cadence of her voice changes completely halfway through the first season and only returns when she is dealing with Sarek or Spock.

Burnham is, to me, just unlikeable and as she is the focus of the show... has made this a less than thrilling series to get through. This bit in particular really stings because ST:-)iscovery could have actually been titled ST:Michael Burnham for about 2 seasons worth of episodes.

Klingon "Time Crystals". Seriously... WTF.

Season 4 was nothing more than a re-hash of the Xindi plotline in Enterprise with a super quick and neat bow tied on at the end of it.

Lastly... one would think that by the 32nd century that humanity would have gotten past the societal issues around gender and pronouns. For example, Adira expressing frustration/anxiety/sadness? over Stammets referring to them as "her". I just didn't even remotely expect that the writers of the show would see that as still being an on-going issue damn near 1,100 years into the future. Especially when Kirk and Riker had already plowed through half the universe including the a-gendered. To me, it felt a lot like how the writers felt the need to highlight that there were women on the bridge but did so in a negative light with Pike dressing down a Yeoman then stating he will never get used to women on the bridge on "The Cage".

/That last point is in no way shape or form to be taken as being phobic in any way. I'm 100% for representation and inclusion... I just question the negative spin they put on the issue and how people still viewed gender 1,100 years into humanity's future.
[Reply]
Page 63 of 63
« First < 13535960616263
Up