ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 63
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Media Center>CBS: Star Trek
keg in kc 03:47 PM 11-02-2015

Originally Posted by :
The Next Chapter of the Legendary “Star Trek” TV Franchise Will Premiere on the CBS Television Network, Then Move to CBS All Access Digital Subscription Service

Alex Kurtzman, Co-Writer and Producer of the Blockbuster Films

“Star Trek” and “Star Trek Into Darkness,” to Executive Produce

CBS Studios International to Distribute the Series Globally

For Television and Multiple Platforms

STUDIO CITY, CALIF. AND NEW YORK, N.Y. – Nov. 2, 2015 – CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new “Star Trek” television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the “Star Trek” franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous “Star Trek” television series.

The brand-new “Star Trek” will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new “Star Trek” TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films “Star Trek” (2009) with Roberto Orci, and “Star Trek Into Darkness” (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series SCORPION and LIMITLESS, along with Kadin and Orci, and for HAWAII FIVE-0 with Orci.

“Star Trek,” which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original “Star Trek” spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the “Star Trek” television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original “Star Trek” series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give ‘Star Trek’ fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic ‘Star Trek,’ and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the ‘Star Trek’ franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce ‘Star Trek’s’ next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:48 PM 05-17-2017
SNR, I admire your endless passion for Star Trek. As someone that was an exec at Paramount for more than a decade, this trailer is exactly as I expected.

I cannot believe that Les Moonves is happy with this trailer, so I expect changes ahead.

Or not, because Paramount. :-)
[Reply]
Frazod 11:27 PM 05-17-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
SNR, I admire your endless passion for Star Trek. As someone that was an exec at Paramount for more than a decade, this trailer is exactly as I expected.

I cannot believe that Les Moonves is happy with this trailer, so I expect changes ahead.

I think it's going to fail, and fail spectacularly. And I think that's a good thing. Maybe one day we'll get decent Star Trek again. Until that day, we always have reruns of the good stuff.

The worst part is how CBS has crushed the fan productions. Have you ever watched any of the Star Trek Continues episodes? There are a couple of turkeys in there, but mostly they're wonderful. Those people know what Star Trek should be and put forth quality shows that are true to the original series.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:32 PM 05-17-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I think it's going to fail, and fail spectacularly. And I think that's a good thing. Maybe one day we'll get decent Star Trek again. Until that day, we always have reruns of the good stuff.

The worst part is how CBS has crushed the fan productions. Have you ever watched any of the Star Trek Continues episodes? There are a couple of turkeys in there, but mostly they're wonderful. Those people know what Star Trek should be and put forth quality shows that are true to the original series.
Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance but I'm in complete agreement with Viacom/CBS/Paramount's inability to take a great IP and deliver.

If Sumner Redstone ever dies, maybe we'll see a change.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:34 PM 05-17-2017
Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance but I'm in complete agreement with Viacom/CBS/Paramount's inability to take a great IP and deliver.

If Sumner Redstone ever dies, maybe we'll see a change.
http://startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

Seriously, give them a look. The last episode was particularly good, as was the one that was a direct sequel to Who Mourns for Adonis, starring Michael Forrest, the actor who played Apollo in the original TOS episode.

I think you'll like them. The acting can be a touch uneven at times, but they absolutely nail the look and feel of the original.

They've also had some other interesting guest stars, including Lou Ferrigno, Jamie Bamber (Apollo from BSG) and Rekha Sharma (Tori from BSG). And Grant Imihara from Mythbusters plays Sulu.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:07 AM 05-18-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
http://startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

Seriously, give them a look. The last episode was particularly good, as was the one that was a direct sequel to Who Mourns for Adonis, starring Michael Forrest, the actor who played Apollo in the original TOS episode.

I think you'll like them. The acting can be a touch uneven at times, but they absolutely nail the look and feel of the original.

They've also had some other interesting guest stars, including Lou Ferrigno, Jamie Bamber (Apollo from BSG) and Rekha Sharma (Tori from BSG). And Grant Imihara from Mythbusters plays Sulu.
Will do! I'm always looking for ways to procrastinate during the week.

:-)
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 05:01 AM 05-18-2017
So this show is on a streaming service only?
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:58 AM 05-18-2017

What happened to Paramount Dane? They used to make some great movies back in the 80s and 90s. Tons of blockbusters.

Now.... not so much unless it's a Mission Impossible or Star Trek movie.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:02 AM 05-18-2017

[Reply]
siberian khatru 08:14 AM 05-18-2017
Enough with the lens flares already
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:29 AM 05-18-2017
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
The abandonment of the orthodox Star Trek fanbase to produce a watered-down, homogenized version of it for the masses to lap up is heartbreaking.

We'll probably never get back to what made Star Trek great.
[Reply]
Hog Rider 08:56 AM 05-18-2017
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
The abandonment of the orthodox Star Trek fanbase to produce a watered-down, homogenized version of it for the masses to lap up is heartbreaking.

We'll probably never get back to what made Star Trek great.
This/these
Lens flares really ef it up for me, let alone that is looks poorly done. Even the last movie was so overblown with extreme scale CGI that it ruined it for me.
My wife says it's the Engineer in me.
[Reply]
Gonzo 09:57 PM 05-18-2017
https://youtu.be/4dxe_ugmIVM

New promo

Looks like enterprise but with a bigger budget. I dunno. I might give it a shot.

I don't really have a problem with a female captain as long as they're not a moronic, power hungry cunt like Janeway was. The fx look great. I'm torn a bit.

If you all want a great view on the Trek universe, google SF Debris and go to his website. He's done reviews for nearly every Trek episode. They're all very funny. Especially Voyager and Enterprise reviews. I find myself agreeing with roughly 85-90% of what he says.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:05 PM 05-18-2017
Originally Posted by Gonzo:
https://youtu.be/4dxe_ugmIVM

New promo

Looks like enterprise but with a bigger budget. I dunno. I might give it a shot.

I don't really have a problem with a female captain as long as they're not a moronic, power hungry cunt like Janeway was. The fx look great. I'm torn a bit.

If you all want a great view on the Trek universe, google SF Debris and go to his website. He's done reviews for nearly every Trek episode. They're all very funny. Especially Voyager and Enterprise reviews. I find myself agreeing with roughly 85-90% of what he says.
Looks like the same shit as yesterday, and it gets more offensive with each additional viewing. Horrible acting - just horrible. Like Phantom Menace horrible.

They should have called it Plan 9 from the Federation.

:-)
[Reply]
Squalor2 11:02 PM 05-18-2017
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Doesn't Paramount WANT a captive audience for lifting off their streaming service? Their captive audience already ****ing spoke up about what the wanted. Dorn's Captain Worf series maybe wouldn't have attracted the random TV watchers initially, but it would have given them guaranteed NUMBERS at least, and if they made it any good at all, I'm sure the audience would grow bit by bit. Hell, and the freakin pilot was crowdfunded-ready.

And I just don't understand when entertainment is looking to re-capture millennial viewers by re-booting/re-starting shit from the 90s why Paramount ****ing insists that this prequel shit is the way to go. How about you CONTINUE the events and adventures of the franchise when it was at its height? Those golden days of TNG never saw a more excited fanbase even among average television viewers for this show. They're not even allowing for "far future" series like TNG was to the original. God, how interesting would that be? Re-imagining technology and ships a full century past the events of TNG/DS9/Voyager? Get input from people to be ****ing CREATIVE for ****ing once. God, how about coming up with new modes of communication beyond the com-badge? Get some young kid to see that shit on TV and go, "I'm going to invent that!"

Nope. **** creativity. **** trying new things. Yes, I know they're restarting a 50-year old franchise, but they're not even TRYING to explore strange new worlds or seek out new life and new civilizations. They're banking on a ****ing Klingon War.

We already had what we wanted regarding a Klingon War. The Axanar movie. Fans demanded it, and CBS said no. They could have commandeered it and rolled that direction with their shitty prequel. Nope. Has to be this stupid lower decks story. Is Michelle Yeoh even going to be recognized as a real captain in fan lore since she's not the headline act of this series?

I would have loved an Axanar movie that was fan-funded. So much better than the other fan-made shit out there. I would have loved CBS taking that and running with it if they were worried about missing out on profit. Instead, we got this crap.

And **** Bryan Fuller, too. I hope his career ****ing dies. You don't commit to a franchise like Star Trek and then back out before the first ****ing season, you dumbass ****ing prick. We were promised the show would be in good hands with him because he knew how to connect to the fans with his writing, and now we got more terrible assholes who thought ST: Into Darkness is what fans wanted to see.

I'm watching the free one they'll broadcast. And I'm 99% certain I won't be blown away. When that happens, I ain't paying SHIT to stream this garbage. CBS can go **** itself.

love your rant. the axanar and the rest of the fan driven art that is being made, has some mighty big shoes to fill. paramount has to make new shoes. damn near impossible or re-tardis-ed.
[Reply]
unlurking 07:27 AM 05-19-2017
That whole "sense the coming of death" has got to be some of the dumbest fucking dialogue I have ever heard.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 63
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Up