ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Media Center>Favorite Live Album?
Mennonite 09:16 AM 05-05-2021
Title says it all: what's your favorite live music album?
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:21 AM 05-12-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
True, but theres absolutely no dropoff with Richie Faulkner... can confirm from a previous show in STL a few years ago
Faulkner replaced KK before Redeemer. KK just retired. Tipton unfortunately has
Parkinson's disease and although he participated in the writing and recording of Firepower, he said he just couldn't do the more complicated stuff justice so they brought in Andy Sneap to play the tour.

It sounds like Glenn has had a good amount of input on the next album despite his disease though so that's good.
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:45 AM 05-12-2021
For some reason Firepower doesn't do much for me. Metal fans seem to love it a lot more than Redeemer so I'm the odd one out I guess.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:46 AM 05-12-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
For some reason Firepower doesn't do much for me. Metal fans seem to love it a lot more than Redeemer so I'm the odd one out I guess.
Well, I like Redeemer more so I'm a bit odd as well but I still think Firepower is a great album.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 09:13 PM 05-13-2021
From Nov '70 to Dec '71 I was stationed in the DMZ of South Korea at little Army airfield, Stanton AAF. We had a 2000' runway and about 60 helicopters and patrolled the 18 miles of the American section of the 38th parallel. I worked in the control tower. Besides the airfield the basic camp area was small, maybe 200 troops and an NCO club, a chapel that had records and turntables, a PX, a mess hall and our barricks.

Once on a normal weekday and I had just come out of the NCO club after a liquid lunch and the bright sunlight hit me and I heard this loud music, I thought it was a band playing. I walked about 100' to this one large concrete 3 story barricks that sat in the middle of the camp. I looked up and a window was open at the top and I could hear the music coming out of that window, I thought they can't have band in a little room up there. It was Deep Purple Child in Time Live and I could Ian Gillan screaming.

I walked to the building and entered the first floor stairway and the music at that level was about how I would play it when I played it very loud. I went up to the second floor and now it was extremely loud. I walked up to the third floor and a bunch of Katusa's (Koreans Assigned to the US Army) were sitting on their beds holding their ears and looks like they were in a daze. I walked into this 2 man room and there was 6 large Pioneer 100 watt speakers on the wall and a 200 watt Pioneer amp turned full volume. Two GIs were standing there stoned and listening, to what I have no idea, it was just a solid wall of sound. I left and went about my day and that's how I always remember that song. I also got to see Deep Purple in 1972 in Savannah Georgia.

I googled the camp and it closed in 2004, here's a photo of the camp now and the 3 story concrete building on the left.

[Reply]
Fishpicker 12:01 AM 05-14-2021

Jimi Stages (was a 6 cassete collection)
Jimi Live at Winterland
Ultimate Ozzy
Ozzy Speak of the devil
Band Of Gypsies
Black sabbath Live Evil
Frank Marino Mahogany Rush Live

SRV Live at El Mocambo

greatest solo ever recorded
[Reply]
eDave 04:23 AM 05-14-2021
Shit. Forgot all about Double Live Gonzo. Fuck yeah.
[Reply]
mililo4cpa 09:57 AM 05-14-2021
Lots of great stuff here.....couple extra

Galactic - Other Side of Midnight
Chris Cornell - Songbook (1 & 2)
Pearl Jam - Vault 9
Nirvana - From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah (live compilation of songs, not one show)
Jane's Addiction - Alive at Twenty-Five
Live (no pun intended) - Live at the Paradiso
Mother Love Bone - Love Bone Earth Affair (Live from Dallas)
Jimi Hendrix - Winterland (Live)
Portugal the Man - The Majestic Majesty (not a live "show", but an acoustic set of their album The Satanic Satanist)
Our Lady Peace - Live (circa 2003)

Probably a lot more I'm not thinking of right now, but on my rotation currently
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:10 AM 05-14-2021
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
Black sabbath Live Evil
I'm a Dio fan, but he really does a terrible job on almost all the Ozzy era stuff. He does the worst version of Paranoid I've ever heard. It's really a shame. I do think he did a good job with NIB, Black Sabbath, and Children of the Grave though. Check out the album Live at Hammersmith Odeon 1982 if you are a fan of that era.

And here's one of my favorite Sabbath bootlegs from their tour supporting the (underrated imo) Dehumanizer album:

Originally Posted by eDave:
Shit. Forgot all about Double Live Gonzo. **** yeah.
Great White Buffalo!

[Reply]
htismaqe 10:28 AM 05-14-2021
I'm a Dio fan, but he really does a terrible job on almost all the Ozzy era stuff. He does the worst version of Paranoid I've ever heard. It's really a shame. I do think he did a good job with NIB, Black Sabbath, and Children of the Grave though. Check out the album Live at Hammersmith Odeon 1982 if you are a fan of that era.

And here's one of my favorite Sabbath bootlegs from their tour supporting the (underrated imo) Dehumanizer album:

I'm a huge Ozzy fan but Dio is just on a different level to me. That being said, I agree on Dio doing the earlier stuff. It's just not good. The two eras are just SO different, not just vocally but musically too. They're just not the same band really.
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:31 AM 05-14-2021
I think Dio would have been awesome doing Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and The Wizard. Too bad they never dug those out of the vault. Related:

[Reply]
htismaqe 10:33 AM 05-14-2021
I think Dio would have been awesome doing Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and The Wizard. Too bad they never dug those out of the vault.
Possibly, although SBS is a pretty high register for Ronnie. The one thing I really like about him was his lower pitches. Very dark and sinister at times. Ozzy simply doesn't/didn't have that.
[Reply]
srvy 12:45 PM 05-14-2021
This is a great live album if you were a fan of Amy.

[Reply]
srvy 01:08 PM 05-14-2021
Great live album from the feuding brothers.

[Reply]
srvy 01:31 PM 05-14-2021

[Reply]
Otter 01:53 PM 05-14-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
This is a great live album if you were a fan of Amy.
I didn't become familiar with her music until after she passed away.

Just awesome talent.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up