ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 8
< 123 4567 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Are you willing to trade up in the first for an LT?
ntexascardfan 02:45 PM 03-16-2021
If so, how much draft capitol are you willing to give up for them and who do you want?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:52 AM 03-17-2021
the question at this point is will it be a stop-gap one year type guy or will they sign a stud to solidify the situation.

We know Veach was in on a multi-year stud.

Will he pivot now that what is left is likely decent but unspectacular guys like Reiff or Villaneuva?

Short deal and draft a Radunz/Little type LT of the future maybe?

I don't see screwing next year's draft to go get a LT this year and then start two rookies.

However, if the rest of your line is all plus player veterans, maybe?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:53 AM 03-17-2021
what would it take to acquire Dillard? I'm curious.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:58 AM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Wouldn't it be a better use of resources? They need a legit LT, they've shown they can fill those other areas in more easily than LT which usually comes early in the draft.
If you throw everything you have at the draft, you run the risk of coming out of it with NOBODY and you won't even have high picks next year to rectify the situation.

Trading away high picks simply isn't an option. It's way too risky.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:58 AM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The draft is still a crapshoot.

Wrapping up multiple first and seconds for an unknown is super risky and if it's a miss, you're screwed for two years or more of a championship window.
Yep.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:59 AM 03-17-2021
And not having a LT could be pretty detrimental to Mahomes health.

I'd take the risk on a player they think it worthy of trading up for if they think it prudent.
Trading up in the first still runs the risk of not getting a LT at all AND you won't have as many picks to try to correct it later.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:00 AM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
What about signing Okung to a 1-year deal as a stop-gap and then drafting Radunz?

Chances he misses half a season for a 3rd straight year?
THAT I would absolutely do.

I'm not opposed to a solid plan to draft a LT.

I'm just not down with trading up so far that it costs 1st or 2nd round picks to get there.
[Reply]
O.city 11:27 AM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Trading up in the first still runs the risk of not getting a LT at all AND you won't have as many picks to try to correct it later.
If they ID a guy as a franchise LT, go get him and settle that spot for the next decade.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:40 AM 03-17-2021
If they ID a guy as a franchise LT, go get him and settle that spot for the next decade.
a franchise LT trade up means up into the top 10, maybe top 6 or 7.

It would decimate two drafts, and probably cost you a player or two besides.

That would be quite insane when you already have a SB quality roster but some weak spots that need reloading.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:41 AM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:

That would be quite insane when you already have a SB quality roster but some weak spots that need reloading.
Exactly.
[Reply]
O.city 11:42 AM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:

What holes are more important than a LT?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:45 AM 03-17-2021
What holes are more important than a LT?
The draft is NEVER a guarantee.

Remember when we took Fisher - do you remember who the #2 pick was?

The only thing worse than going into the 2021 season with a hole at LT would be going into the 2022 season with a hole at LT but not having any high draft picks left to address the issue.
[Reply]
O.city 11:48 AM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The draft is NEVER a guarantee.

Remember when we took Fisher - do you remember who the #2 pick was?

The only thing worse than going into the 2021 season with a hole at LT would be going into the 2022 season with a hole at LT but not having any high draft picks left to address the issue.
And?

If they're willing to trade up for a guy I'd be willing to assume they know he's a can't miss guy in their system.

If not, dont' do it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:50 AM 03-17-2021
And?

If they're willing to trade up for a guy I'd be willing to assume they know he's a can't miss guy in their system.

If not, dont' do it.
There's no such thing as a can't miss guy.

This GM drafted Breeland Speaks.

He's not perfect, nobody is.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:52 AM 03-17-2021
They need to have a good LT. Those aren't easy to find.
Which is why just throwing draft picks at the position, just to have a LT, isn't the answer, either.

The Chiefs cannot trade up to take a left tackle, only to have the 2013 version of Eric Fisher out there for 17 games.

If Veach determines the only way to go into the season with a quality LT is to throw a 1st and 2nd at the position, I'm fine with it but he'd better be right because if not, they're out at least one valuable pick AND they're doing it all over again next year.
[Reply]
O.city 12:00 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Which is why just throwing draft picks at the position, just to have a LT, isn't the answer, either.

The Chiefs cannot trade up to take a left tackle, only to have the 2013 version of Eric Fisher out there for 17 games.

If Veach determines the only way to go into the season with a quality LT is to throw a 1st and 2nd at the position, I'm fine with it but he'd better be right because if not, they're out at least one valuable pick AND they're doing it all over again next year.
I'm basing all this on the idea that I trust them to be right. If not, move on and look to do it again in a few years.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 8
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up