ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 26
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Media Center>Megadeth > Metallica
Dayze 11:51 PM 01-26-2014
To start off:
I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. In fact my first 5 years of playing electric guitar was solely based on Metallica. I started off playing Bluegrass guitar with my dad, even though my soul wasn't bluegrass.

My first exposure to Metallica was hearing "Nothing Else Matters" on MTV before school waiting for my buddy to pick me up for school. I asked my brother if he had ever heard of them, and of course he had. He handed me a tape that had zero information of it. in that all the 'font' (for lack of a better word) was gone. It was a simple 'blank" tape. It was weathered, and the only thing I could determine that it was a Metallica tape was simply my brother's word. It was Master of Puppets Within 4 weeks, I had owned everything of Metallica and had thrown bluegrass by the wayside.

Long loving Metallica fan for years; devoted. Having heard Megadeth and loving a few of their songs, I was still committed to Metallica. However, years later, I've discovered that I may have been premature in my categorization of music.

Years had passed since I had really 'listened' to Megadeth. Years, as in 10+. Then, I stumbled upon a Megadeth record. While it escapes my memory at this point, the collective memory of the tunes has lead me to the belief that Megadeth is better than Metalica.

While some, to what degree I don't know, may have always held this belief, the discovery of Megadeth is a new one for me. After listening to many records, Im beginning to feel more confident in saying that Megadeth is better. Obviously, it's subjective.

Metallica's "Black" Album is equivalent to Pink Floy'd "The Wall" in terms of impact. However, Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction", has been severely over-shadowed by the 'Black" album of Metallica. Subsequently, as it had been up to that point, Megadeth had fallen by the wayside. "Symphony of Destructions' release around the same time, was over-shadowed by the Black album.

After what was a universal success of the Black album, Megadeth seemed to finally have received the kill shot. But, if we are to look at the records and time frame comparatively, I think Megadeth got the short end of the stick.

Since then, Megadeth has sustained their status despite radio and marketing support. I've listened to several Megadeth albums/tunes from the "Black" album going forward, and I must say they are not getting the credit that is due. In some aspects, they blow Metallica out of the water. To be honest, they are quickly surpassing Metallica.

I've always been a huge fan of Megadeth since the Mechanix type songs. But since Peace Sells Who's Buying album, Megadeth has gotten the shaft. By a LONG shot.

TLDR....but oh well.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:34 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Gadzooks:
Does mentioning Blues Saraceno, Richie Kotzen, Akira Takasaki and Harry K. Cody establish me as a hardcore enthusiast?:-)
Never heard of Cody, but outside of that, yeah... I'd say your bona fides are in order :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:24 PM 01-28-2014
Does mentioning Blues Saraceno, Richie Kotzen, Akira Takasaki and Harry K. Cody establish me as a hardcore enthusiast?:-)
Absolutely.

Kotzen has a new band that's pretty good, he was on TMS recently.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 06:03 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:
Never heard of Cody, but outside of that, yeah... I'd say your bona fides are in order :-)
Cody was from a very cheesy Swedish glam band called "Shotgun Messiah".

[Reply]
Lzen 06:06 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
Funnily enough, I was listening to an interview with Marty night on Sirius. Guess he has a new album getting ready to drop. I knew he had disappeared to Japan, but I didn't know that he's mostly known over there for his TV work rather than his music. Odd considering the Japanese' love for that era of metal.

You're pretty knowledgable about this era, so I assume you're familiar with the Jason Becker story. If not, he was partners with Marty in the band Cacophony when they were still high schoolers. After they split, he went on to replace Vai in David Lee Roth's band. He recorded one album before being diagnosed with ALS. He was told he didn't have long to live but he's still around and he composes music with his eyes, the only part of his body that still works. There's a great documentary called Not Dead Yet about him that I highly recommend. It was on netflix, but apparently isn't anymore. It's worth finding if you can.
I remember Becker and cacophony before Friedman joined megadeth. Good stuff. I'll have to check out that documentary.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 06:31 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Lzen:
I remember Becker and cacophony before Friedman joined megadeth. Good stuff. I'll have to check out that documentary.
It'd be nice if you bought it:

[Reply]
Easy 6 06:36 PM 01-28-2014
It'd be nice if you bought it:
Jason?
[Reply]
Simply Red 06:40 PM 01-28-2014
no.

no

[Reply]
Simply Red 06:42 PM 01-28-2014
If I state my true opinion - I'd lose friends here, so I'll just sit back and observe.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:43 PM 01-28-2014
Cody was from a very cheesy Swedish glam band called "Shotgun Messiah".

I have zero doubts I've heard that one before.

But if theres a guitar that's harder to wield than that little modified V, I don't know what it is... I hate oddball shapes like that... they look great, but are harder than hell to play IMO.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:50 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
If I state my true opinion - I'd lose friends here, so I'll just sit back and observe.
Let it rip, Red... it surely isn't anything most of us old guys haven't heard before.

But if you had been in your teens and twenties in the 80's, you might feel different about it all... but its all good, tell it like it is, it'd actually be interested to hear a young guys take.

I know for sure that my son thinks Ratt is cheesy... "YOU LITTLE BASTARD WHAT? DO YOU NOT KNOW WHO WARREN DEMARTINI IS YOU IMPERTINENT LITTLE PRICK?"
[Reply]
Gadzooks 07:06 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
You already blew it by posting a link to "Primus - Master of Puppets".
I thought you were my friend...:-)
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 11:00 PM 01-28-2014
I used to love both bands. Now, I like both but prefer Metallica.
[Reply]
Pushead2 11:27 PM 01-28-2014
When Megadeth (Mustaine) isn't trying to be like Metallica & think what would Metallica do here? That's when they're better.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:44 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:
I have zero doubts I've heard that one before.

But if theres a guitar that's harder to wield than that little modified V, I don't know what it is... I hate oddball shapes like that... they look great, but are harder than hell to play IMO.
Not really.

I have this one and I play it all the time, even sitting in a chair. Sure, you have to adjust but it isn't unwieldy AT ALL. In fact, it's comfy, light, and the fretboard is almost as good as my custom-made Washburn.

[Reply]
Easy 6 11:44 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Not really.

I have this one and I play it all the time, even sitting in a chair. Sure, you have to adjust but it isn't unwieldy AT ALL. In fact, it's comfy, light, and the fretboard is almost as good as my custom-made Washburn.

Right, those are fine because you have the full length piece on the bottom that rests on the leg and stabilizes things, that little pink model in the video, I want to say its a Jackson, has the shortened bottom piece that I found really hard to get comfortable with.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 26
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up