ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 78
< 12 34561252 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Walt Disney World
Brianfo 12:01 PM 01-11-2006
My wife and I will be taking 2 small children to Walt Disney World in Florida in 2 weeks. I get to go as a bonus thru my work. We are staying at the Hilton. My question is what is the weather like down there in January? Any good ideas on what to see and do with twins that are 2 years old? I am kind of looking forward to it. A chance to get out of Iowa in January. Oh well, enought blabbing. Any responses are greatly appreciated.
[Reply]
StcChief 12:37 PM 01-11-2006
Congrats on the free trip. (anyway to get cash or leave kids with Grandma)

Besides taking kids age 2 (that won't remember anything later) and likely pissing off other on vacation there.... Keep them in the small kids area.
[Reply]
ct 12:37 PM 01-11-2006
I just came back from WDW 3 weeks ago. Even when cold during the day, it still ain't bad. But it does get damn chilly at night, especially if you're at a park/hotel/downtown disney by a lake. Basically, you'll need to pack twice, warm during the day, cool at night. Rain is not nearly as frequent during the winter, but we had 1.5/6 days of sunshine, so prepare for wet weather too.

And Phobia is right, your kids won't remember anything. If you really want them to enjoy it now, do lots of character stuff, look for Mickey and the gang. They aren't going to be into the rides or shows or shopping.

Have fun!!
[Reply]
Brianfo 12:39 PM 01-11-2006
I am staying at the Hilton right at Walt Disney World. I have to attend meetings a couple mornings as part of the trip, but the rest of the trip is free time.
[Reply]
patteeu 12:40 PM 01-11-2006
Originally Posted by Phobia:
Another vote for ditch the kids. Heh.
If it's possible, he might as well.
[Reply]
Stinger 12:54 PM 01-11-2006
Originally Posted by coryt:
do lots of character stuff, look for Mickey and the gang. They aren't going to be into the rides or shows or shopping.

Have fun!!
Actually my kids when they were 2 enjoyed many of the rides Dumbo, the carousel, Aldins Ride, and Small World :-) (over and over).

Ok while I am thinking about one of the best places to meet the major characters for the kids is at Epcot at the International Gateway. A bus at certain time during the day brings up all the most popular Disney characters and they are there for about 15-20 min. Get there about 5-10 min before they arrive and you should be able to see Mickey and all the characters.

Best Charcter Dinning for food and atmosphere - Crystal Palace (Pooh Characters in Magic Kindom) and Chef Micky's (Mickey, Donald, Goofy in the Contempory Hotel).

Actually the best deal to see Mickey is the Ice cream social at Epcot. Reservation only I believe not to many people know about this is that at the Land there is a character resturant that durring the early afternoon offers an Ice cream social. Desserts are huge infact a family could probably share one. But Mickey, and a couple other characters make the rounds and interact with the kids while you sit at a table eating dessert and taking a break from the day.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 12:59 PM 01-11-2006
Originally Posted by Brianfo:
I am staying at the Hilton right at Walt Disney World. I have to attend meetings a couple mornings as part of the trip, but the rest of the trip is free time.
A few things:

1) When you go to Downtown Disney there is a Lego Store right next to The World of Disney Store....if you or the wife want to shop and not worry about wondering if the kids are going to break something, take the kids to the Lego play area just right outside the Lego store...you can sit and watch them play with Lego's and the spouse can shop.

2) If you are there as part of a large convention you might want to check to see if the Convention has arranged with Disney for discount tickets to the Parks.

3) If you go to the parks, remind yourself that your kids are little and can only take so much excitement at a time. When our kids were small we usually went when the park opened, stayed till 11 AM or Noon, then took them back to the hotel for naps or rest. Then we went back later in the afternoon/early evening till the Park closed...stay fo the fireworks. And remember!!!! Bring a stroller or rent one from Disney...you'd be surprised what you can do in the park for yourself and the wife if the kids are asleep in the stroller.

4) If you only have time for a couple of the parks choose Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, both of which are geared toward younger kids. The Safari ride thru Animal Kingdom is fun no matter how young or old you are. Magic Kingdom has It's A Small World, Winnie The Pooh Ride, and has a part of the park designed especially for the very young crowd.

5) If you have time, take the kids over to the Animal Kingdom Lodge....there is a viewing area where, at the right time of the day you can see a few animals.

6) Be very cognizant that your kids might be frightened by the size of the characters if you do a Character Breakfast. Most kids their age are.

7) Is anyone having a birthday or special event? If you are there on someone's birthday or anniversary they give you a badge to wear. All Cast Member's have to wish that person/couple a Happy Birthday or Happy Anniversary.

8) Money? I rarely take cash..since I stay on property I can charge everything to the room. That way I am never luggin a wallet or my wife a purse at the park. Much as it may seem "teh ghey" a fanny pack is the way to go.

I will disagree with one thing that seems to be a theme from some posters here.....your kids WILL remember this trip. They just won't remember it in as great a detail as you will. My kids have been to WDW 18 times in their life ( daughter is 9 and son is 13) and each time they have something special they remember about it.

As Rain Man alluded to early in this thread...I have much more I could tell you. If you have any more questions feel fre to IM me. I will answer from home this evening.

mmaddog
[Reply]
Brianfo 01:02 PM 01-11-2006
Fantastic. Thanks for the great information. Chiefs Planet kicks #ss.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 01:08 PM 01-11-2006
Originally Posted by Stinger:
Actually my kids when they were 2 enjoyed many of the rides Dumbo, the carousel, Aldins Ride, and Small World :-) (over and over).

Ok while I am thinking about one of the best places to meet the major characters for the kids is at Epcot at the International Gateway. A bus at certain time during the day brings up all the most popular Disney characters and they are there for about 15-20 min. Get there about 5-10 min before they arrive and you should be able to see Mickey and all the characters.

Best Charcter Dinning for food and atmosphere - Crystal Palace (Pooh Characters in Magic Kindom) and Chef Micky's (Mickey, Donald, Goofy in the Contempory Hotel).

Actually the best deal to see Mickey is the Ice cream social at Epcot. Reservation only I believe not to many people know about this is that at the Land there is a character resturant that durring the early afternoon offers an Ice cream social. Desserts are huge infact a family could probably share one. But Mickey, and a couple other characters make the rounds and interact with the kids while you sit at a table eating dessert and taking a break from the day.
Stinger:

1) The drop-off point at EPCOT is a great place to meet the characters, but keep in mind that they Cast Members "secretly" tell Guest with Special Needs children about that drop off. And they try to accomodate these children first before taking pics with all other.

Another great place to get pics with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald is in the gazebos near The Lion King Spectacular Show at Animal Kingdom. They are always there for pics and autographs.

2) The ice cream social is an accident waiting to happen for young kids. Make sure to have "wetnaps" if you are trying this.

3) Chef Mickey's is the best place to eat and see characters. Buffet style food, not in the park, and the view of Seven Seas Lagoon and Magic Kingdom is great.

mmaddog
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 01:10 PM 01-11-2006
Make sure to pinch Minnies ass.
[Reply]
Reaper16 01:14 PM 01-11-2006
Not any help, but this thread brought sense memory to my tastebuds...
I was at WDW a week before Christmas in 2004. I can actually taste this certain meal I had at the Concourse Steakhouse @ the Contemporary Resort. (Its actually exactly right next door to Chef Mickeys.)
Concourse gest overshadowed by Chef Mickey's and California Grille, but thier garlic smashed potatoes are awesome. I had a KC Strip with red wine butter and garlic smashed potatoes. The steak was fine, though I can cook or grill one just as good. But the smashed potatoes were divine... I want to go back...
[Reply]
Kylo Ren 01:39 PM 01-11-2006
God help you!! You're taking two 2 yeaer olds. Oh boy. :-) My wife and I decided a long time ago that we would never take our kids until they were 10 or 12 years old. Any younger and it's just a waste of time and money. Sorry to bear bad news.
[Reply]
Stinger 01:44 PM 01-11-2006
I don't get this waste of time and money comments on here? You get to spend time with the family in sunny FL enjoying each other, and kids under 3 get in free.
[Reply]
Reaper16 01:48 PM 01-11-2006
Originally Posted by Stinger:
I don't get this waste of time and money comments on here?
I'm Ron Burgandy?

Another random Disney thought; I'm the only person I know who enjoys Epcot. :-) "Too boring, not enough rides, etc." Bah, I spent an hour and a half in the store in the Japan section.
[Reply]
Brock 01:51 PM 01-11-2006
Epcot is very cool, and has the absolute best fireworks show.
[Reply]
Alton deFlat 02:21 PM 01-11-2006
Originally Posted by Reaper16:
I'm Ron Burgandy?

Another random Disney thought; I'm the only person I know who enjoys Epcot. :-) "Too boring, not enough rides, etc." Bah, I spent an hour and a half in the store in the Japan section.
EPCOT is the best park in my opinion. The World Showcase is great. You can drink yourself around the world if you want to... or can afford it. I always try the wines in France and Italy, or buy a yard of beer in the UK. The new rides in Future World are pretty cool too. Mission: Space is great (not for small kids though). Soarin' is awesome.

Check out this Disney message board. . You don't have to join, to read the messages, and might answer more of your questions.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 78
< 12 34561252 > Last »
Up