ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Media Center>T-Mobile Home Internet
AdolfOliverBush 02:56 PM 03-21-2023
For many years I used Verizon for cell service, and Cox for internet. Their services were fine, but I recently looked into T-Mobile and switched everything over to them.

Their comparable phone plan is 50% lower than Verizon, and that price is guaranteed to never increase. They also offer home internet service in my area, and since I was a new customer I qualified for a discount. I now pay $30 a month for internet service with no data cap, and about 150 Mb/s download speed. It performs every bit a well as the Cox service, and I got a $50 rebate for signing up.

They also pay for my basic Netflix for life, same with Apple TV.

I'm not trying to be a spokesperson for T-Mobile, but if you live anywhere near one of their towers, you might be able to save a significant amount of money, depending on your current setup.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:21 PM 03-21-2023
I'm not a T-Mobile fan myself but you're probably in an area where they have better coverage. Verizon has the best coverage here.

But yes, as wireless companies roll out more and more actual 5G millimeter wave, speeds are only going to get better and better.

My FWA connection here runs about 350 down and I live in the middle of nowhere. In Des Moines, I can push 600 down.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 03:44 PM 03-21-2023
I should've added that all I really use the internet for is streaming TV, and a little Xbox use.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:46 PM 03-21-2023
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
I should've added that all I really use the internet for is streaming TV, and a little Xbox use.
FWA should work well for you then. Congrats, it's exciting tech for sure. I work with it every day.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 06:13 PM 03-21-2023
Your mileage may vary, but my buddy on his t-mobile internet cannot play online games due to NAT issues.
[Reply]
Bearcat 07:06 PM 03-21-2023
I believe their towers prioritize cell data over their "5G" internet. I tried it out for a couple months because my local ISP was really awful and I wanted to finally stick it to them.... but, T-Mobile internet was significantly worse.

And when it worked, it was usually great... at least 200mbps, no buffering for videos, no issues. There were a lot of outages or times when it might as well be out, a lot of fucking with the trash can for different settings, placing it around the house, etc. Several times I'd tether to my 4G T-Mobile phone and it was significantly faster than the internet, probably using the same tower.

And I don't want to shit on it, really.... if you have the chance to stick it to your ISP, it's 100% worth a chance. IMO, it's worth trying it out with your ISP still around as a secondary, at least for a few months before you tell your ISP to GTFO.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:37 PM 03-21-2023
How is the packet loss compared to non 5G internet? Have AT&T internet
[Reply]
backinblack 10:21 PM 03-21-2023
I’ve definitely thought about it but still have reservations, even though I have t mobile for my phone plan and for the most part am pleased with it. I have Cable One(or Sparklight or whatever the hell they call themselves now) for internet and it’s just all around awful. You think Comcast or Cox are bad with cost or service issues or data caps, well try that but with some no name outfit like Cable One. These are the garbage companies that deserve to die first when better options come available, and there is a company installing Fiber in my area that I am waiting on seeing how that goes. Still though, in the mean time been thinking about trying out T Mobile 5G for a month or two and see how it goes.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:39 PM 03-21-2023
I tried it for my daughter in Philly. It did not work the greatest. She tried moving the box but did not work well. We had to take it back. it was only used for streaming and computer internet.

oh well.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 08:10 AM 03-22-2023
I moved from Cox to T-Mobile about 18 months ago. I *think* the tower about 5 blocks away is theirs. Compared to the Cox plan I had, I now get download speeds 2-4 times faster and upload speeds, 5 times faster. But speeds do vary during the day. We use it for normal internet connections and streaming to 2 or 3 TVs. I'm not a game player. The first month I had it I had issues with it cutting out 2 or 3 times a day. I got them to with out the modem/router and haven't had many problems since. I was having intermittent dropage with the wired Cox cable too, so while not perfect, TM is at as good if not better than what I had.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

Good News Everyone! (/Prof. Farnsworth) I became aware yesterday, that you can get the T-Mobile Internet for $30 or $40 a month, depending on your what T-Mobile phone plan you are on. I guess this offer just came out in late February, and they don't roll it out to you automatically, you have to ask about it.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 08:20 AM 03-22-2023
An off-putting thing is that Hulu-live TV does not work with T-Mobile Internet because Hulu wants you to be at a fixed location, and the cell service isn't fixed (I know there is a more precise description of the problem, but I'm not that tech savvy). I switched to YouTube TV and do not experience the problem.

Additionally, due to the same non-fixed thing, my computers and TVs think I am in Oklahoma or Texas, when I am actually in Kansas. So when I search for something at Lowes, etc, the results are shown for a Dallas store rather than the store closest to me. Easily changed, but an extra step I shouldn't have to take. When watching ESPN or some other non-local streaming service, the commercials are for Tulsa, OKC, or Dallas.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:27 AM 03-22-2023
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Your mileage may vary, but my buddy on his t-mobile internet cannot play online games due to NAT issues.
Right now, most providers are providing "locked down" routers, just like cable and broadband companies do if you don't BYO. And right now, there's no BYO option for FWA so you're kind of stuck with whatever they provide. You could call them and see if you can get admin access to the router but as far as I know, they're not operating that way, at least not yet. Console or GUI access to the router is open only to support staff.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:35 AM 03-22-2023
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I believe their towers prioritize cell data over their "5G" internet. I tried it out for a couple months because my local ISP was really awful and I wanted to finally stick it to them.... but, T-Mobile internet was significantly worse.

And when it worked, it was usually great... at least 200mbps, no buffering for videos, no issues. There were a lot of outages or times when it might as well be out, a lot of fucking with the trash can for different settings, placing it around the house, etc. Several times I'd tether to my 4G T-Mobile phone and it was significantly faster than the internet, probably using the same tower.

And I don't want to shit on it, really.... if you have the chance to stick it to your ISP, it's 100% worth a chance. IMO, it's worth trying it out with your ISP still around as a secondary, at least for a few months before you tell your ISP to GTFO.
Sounds like you're in a "standard 5G" footprint.

There's really 3 flavors of 5G.

Lowband sounds like what you have. Less speed, less reliable, but reaches a farther distance. Very similar in profile to 4G LTE.

Midrange is the next level. More bandwidth but less range, can support more users and devices.

Finally, there's mmWave. MUCH more bandwidth, much higher download speeds, can support many more users and devices but over a limited range. I am able to get mmWave coverage in Des Moines and it's indistinguishable from my fiber connection at home.

FWIW, I run my FWA as backup for my fiber connection right now. I'm going to switch over in a couple of weeks to test it as primary.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:39 AM 03-22-2023
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
An off-putting thing is that Hulu-live TV does not work with T-Mobile Internet because Hulu wants you to be at a fixed location, and the cell service isn't fixed (I know there is a more precise description of the problem, but I'm not that tech savvy). I switched to YouTube TV and do not experience the problem.

Additionally, due to the same non-fixed thing, my computers and TVs think I am in Oklahoma or Texas, when I am actually in Kansas. So when I search for something at Lowes, etc, the results are shown for a Dallas store rather than the store closest to me. Easily changed, but an extra step I shouldn't have to take. When watching ESPN or some other non-local streaming service, the commercials are for Tulsa, OKC, or Dallas.
Netflix has the same exact thing. They're charging (or will be charging, depending on where you live) for separate households now, so they have to know if two locations are distinct. I would call Hulu myself and ask.

I haven't tried Hulu over FWA yet, if I get a chance I will test it. I can't imagine Hulu's app, across all platforms, is location agnostic.
[Reply]
Fish 10:07 AM 03-22-2023
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:

FYI, YoutubeTV incorporates the same geographic restrictions, but it's only enforced like every 3-4 months. You'll essentially have a "Home" location, and you will have to check in from that location to continue to use it. If you click on your account within the Youtube TV app or webpage, you'll see a Location setting that will list your Home area and your current playback area. It sounds like your home area is set to something in TX or OK. You should be able to update that, but it might require you to log into YoutubeTV from a dedicated network in your actual local area.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up