ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 16
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Media Center>Youtube.TV
Fish 11:07 PM 11-09-2017
Anybody else using this?

I just switched over from SlingTV to YoutubeTV. Seems great so far. Offers NBC, which Sling annoyingly didn't and the main reason I switched. Also FS1. But not sure if that means Royals games. ESPN. All the normal stations plus cable stuff like Discovery, Syfy, History, NG, etc.

Interface is infinitely better. Ability to pause no matter what. I'm really liking this so far.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 01:00 PM 12-31-2021
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
We just switched to youtubeTV from google fiber TV. Google gave us a free chromecast for every TV box we had. Liking it so far, although it froze up on me three times during the Ravens game Sunday night. Other than that it has been flawless.

Love that it runs Android TV as I have two nvidia shields on my main two tvs, so the home screen looks the same and doesn't confuse the wife.

Google bill dropped from 200 to 70. YoutubeTV for three months at 54.99 plus another ten for redzone. Figured I would only do the redzone package during the season, as the other sports channels that are a part of the package I can live with out, so it is a net savings every month.
I'm facing this right now. Other than having a SOHO router and some other devices that require an RJ45 connections and the WiFi router now only having a single RJ45 port, it seems like I'm going to be getting into the Chromecast game. We've used Amazon's Firestick for years, but it's not what we use most of the time, and with Netflix being a component of the Smart TV, we're really more of a hodgepodge of stuff than one-stop shopping with a single remote. Oh well...

Anyway, did you end up with more than one Google WiFi box? I ask because the current network box has both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, and each current TV box offered 2.4GHz too, and I'm just concerned that having just one box offering WiFi for the whole house might not provide a great experience on the opposite end of the house. Unfortunately the Fiber Jack isn't in the middle of the house.

And last, since my wife is mostly into local channels, have you found any issues with YouTubeTV not providing local channels? And it's $65 a month now, so I'm wondering just how much this will really reduce my current TV bill...

Any thoughts about your experience would be appreciated.
[Reply]
srvy 09:59 PM 12-31-2021
I love youtube TV and it carries all the local channels in KCMO. I have a one remote for everything with the amazon fire TV Cube 4K. It set up all my AV gear in one scan. It turns my avr on and selects the correct mode. I never use the voice commands because you have to learn basically a whole new language that fire tv only knows.

it was 125.00 for a long time I bought mine when a sale occurred a year ago for 90 bucks. Amazon had it for 70 bucks yesterday I saw. I got the google tv free as a promotion. It was good also with the Android tv but could never get my AV equipment to connect all at once.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:35 AM 01-01-2022
Originally Posted by srvy:
I love youtube TV and it carries all the local channels in KCMO. I have a one remote for everything with the amazon fire TV Cube 4K. It set up all my AV gear in one scan. It turns my avr on and selects the correct mode. I never use the voice commands because you have to learn basically a whole new language that fire tv only knows.

it was 125.00 for a long time I bought mine when a sale occurred a year ago for 90 bucks. Amazon had it for 70 bucks yesterday I saw. I got the google tv free as a promotion. It was good also with the Android tv but could never get my AV equipment to connect all at once.
Thank You.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:40 AM 01-01-2022
I've order a digital antenna just to see how well it works too. I'm not sure that'll be the complete answer but I figured I might as well get one and see how well it works. If it sucks, I'll simply return it.

I'm also wondering if there's a way to "inject" the received signal into the house's COAX cabling and be able to get away with only buying on digital antenna. :-)
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 03:21 PM 01-01-2022
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I'm facing this right now. Other than having a SOHO router and some other devices that require an RJ45 connections and the WiFi router now only having a single RJ45 port, it seems like I'm going to be getting into the Chromecast game. We've used Amazon's Firestick for years, but it's not what we use most of the time, and with Netflix being a component of the Smart TV, we're really more of a hodgepodge of stuff than one-stop shopping with a single remote. Oh well...

Anyway, did you end up with more than one Google WiFi box? I ask because the current network box has both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, and each current TV box offered 2.4GHz too, and I'm just concerned that having just one box offering WiFi for the whole house might not provide a great experience on the opposite end of the house. Unfortunately the Fiber Jack isn't in the middle of the house.

And last, since my wife is mostly into local channels, have you found any issues with YouTubeTV not providing local channels? And it's $65 a month now, so I'm wondering just how much this will really reduce my current TV bill...

Any thoughts about your experience would be appreciated.
No network box at all. You get 2 google wi-fi "pucks" for your wireless. One of them acts as the network box and the other is a Mesh access points. There is only one ethernet port on the puck, so I had to get a network switch since I was using all four of my ethernet ports on the network box.

There is only one wi-fi network, the 2.4 and 5.0 are the same with the pucks. Supposedly the puck is advanced enough to decide which band your device needs, but I have found almost all of my devices landed on the 2.4, including my brand new iphone I got a couple of months back. The Mesh improved the signal strength in the house, and my wifi feels about the same as it was with the network box. My fiber jack is in the basement. I have one puck where the network box was in our living room near the TV, and the other one is upstairs in our Master bedroom. Wifi upstairs does connect better than before.

No issues with local channels, other than YouTube's dispute with DIsney a few weeks back. We lost ABC and all of the Disney owned networks for a day while they hammered out a new deal.

I have noticed that Chiefs games run about 5 seconds behind (I only noticed because of the discord chat). The network box was perfectly timed, so I just have to watch myself in the chat to not look ahead.

Cost wise we were at $206 with google---1GB internet, TV, five TV boxes, and the sports package for NFL Redzone. No longer use the TV Boxes, Google gave us 1 Chromecast for each TV box we had. Paying 75 for Youtube TV during football season (extra 10 bucks to get the sports package for NFL Redzone...the rest of the package is crap so I am dropping it once the playoffs start), and our Internet bill is $70, so we are saving around 50 bucks a month. If you want 4k TV, that is 10 bucks extra for Youtube TV, but I did not see the value in paying extra as there is not much 4k TV content out there.

Hopefully that answers your questions!
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:34 PM 01-01-2022
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
No network box at all. You get 2 google wi-fi "pucks" for your wireless. One of them acts as the network box and the other is a Mesh access points. There is only one ethernet port on the puck, so I had to get a network switch since I was using all four of my ethernet ports on the network box.

There is only one wi-fi network, the 2.4 and 5.0 are the same with the pucks. Supposedly the puck is advanced enough to decide which band your device needs, but I have found almost all of my devices landed on the 2.4, including my brand new iphone I got a couple of months back. The Mesh improved the signal strength in the house, and my wifi feels about the same as it was with the network box. My fiber jack is in the basement. I have one puck where the network box was in our living room near the TV, and the other one is upstairs in our Master bedroom. Wifi upstairs does connect better than before.

No issues with local channels, other than YouTube's dispute with DIsney a few weeks back. We lost ABC and all of the Disney owned networks for a day while they hammered out a new deal.

I have noticed that Chiefs games run about 5 seconds behind (I only noticed because of the discord chat). The network box was perfectly timed, so I just have to watch myself in the chat to not look ahead.

Cost wise we were at $206 with google---1GB internet, TV, five TV boxes, and the sports package for NFL Redzone. No longer use the TV Boxes, Google gave us 1 Chromecast for each TV box we had. Paying 75 for Youtube TV during football season (extra 10 bucks to get the sports package for NFL Redzone...the rest of the package is crap so I am dropping it once the playoffs start), and our Internet bill is $70, so we are saving around 50 bucks a month. If you want 4k TV, that is 10 bucks extra for Youtube TV, but I did not see the value in paying extra as there is not much 4k TV content out there.

Hopefully that answers your questions!
Thanks. I think we'll start with YouTubeTV in some fashion, I have plenty of switches (I'm a network dude), but I've bought a Digital Antenna to give it a shot. If it works, great, if it doesn't I'll either return it or sell it to my neighbor for his RV.

And thanks again for the feedback.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 11:07 PM 01-02-2022
I've order a digital antenna just to see how well it works too. I'm not sure that'll be the complete answer but I figured I might as well get one and see how well it works. If it sucks, I'll simply return it.

I'm also wondering if there's a way to "inject" the received signal into the house's COAX cabling and be able to get away with only buying on digital antenna. :-)
There's probably a way to do that. I have an external digital tuner box that the COAX plugs into. I used to plug it directly into the router (via ethernet) to feed the other TVs.

But now I have it plugged into an old desktop that I use as a DVR and only use it with one TV.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:10 AM 01-03-2022
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
There's probably a way to do that. I have an external digital tuner box that the COAX plugs into. I used to plug it directly into the router (via ethernet) to feed the other TVs.

But now I have it plugged into an old desktop that I use as a DVR and only use it with one TV.
Agree. Just like any COAX system, I'd think I would be able to plug it into the closest wall COAX connection and "light up" the rest in the house. Basically the tame thing we did when we got rid of Time Warner and want to Google - we just disconnected from the TW network and put the Google signal into the closest jack, and that's how many of the current GF TV boxes are connected.

So I'll get it working on the main TV, then see if it works to light up the rest of the house. Should be a fun little experiment.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 02:10 PM 01-03-2022
Agree. Just like any COAX system, I'd think I would be able to plug it into the closest wall COAX connection and "light up" the rest in the house. Basically the tame thing we did when we got rid of Time Warner and want to Google - we just disconnected from the TW network and put the Google signal into the closest jack, and that's how many of the current GF TV boxes are connected.

So I'll get it working on the main TV, then see if it works to light up the rest of the house. Should be a fun little experiment.
That seems simple enough. Never thought of it. I have a digital antennae on the TV in the basement, it's the only place in the house I get good reception, which is kinda odd. I never thought about plugging it in to the coax for the house...let us know how it goes. I would think the signal would not be strong enough for the whole house...
[Reply]
GloryDayz 02:31 PM 01-03-2022
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
That seems simple enough. Never thought of it. I have a digital antennae on the TV in the basement, it's the only place in the house I get good reception, which is kinda odd. I never thought about plugging it in to the coax for the house...let us know how it goes. I would think the signal would not be strong enough for the whole house...
Will do. I know it works for Google Fiber's TV boxes; 2 of our 4 TV boxes are connected via Cat-6 Ethernet connections, the other two to their COAX wall outlet, as well as the Google Fiber Network Box, so I know those two TV boxes are feeding off the GF network box using the house's internal COAX cabling, so it should work for the digital antenna too.

And it should allow me to find the best place for the antenna too. Unfortunately, looking at the FCC's map, our house in Lee's Summit the best option would be a high NE facing window and we simply don't have that, it's N, S, E or W in this house. We'll see.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 03:19 PM 01-06-2022
I have good news to report; you can indeed drive all you home's TVs off of one inexpensive digital antenna. Just buy a COAX splitter (if you don't have one laying around) if you need to put it into a TV near the antenna, split the COAX signal coming from the antenna, put one into the local TV, put the other into the local/closest coax wall outlet, and every TV that's connected into that COAX system should be fine. I'm driving four TVs on it as I type... Just make sure your COAX isn't connected to the local TV provider's COAX in the ground. You may need to go outside to disconnect that if you hadn't done that before. I had, so it was n problem.

So find the place where the antenna will get the best signal, hopefully near one of your home's COAX outlets, and make it happen.

Now, to see if we can live with what's offered "over the air" (digital or not)!!!
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 09:39 PM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
It's cheap to buy an amplifier. Or at least it used to be.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:58 PM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
It's cheap to buy an amplifier. Or at least it used to be.
My antenna came with one.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Amplified-...80&sr=8-3&th=1
[Reply]
007 10:11 PM 01-06-2022
I have good news to report; you can indeed drive all you home's TVs off of one inexpensive digital antenna. Just buy a COAX splitter (if you don't have one laying around) if you need to put it into a TV near the antenna, split the COAX signal coming from the antenna, put one into the local TV, put the other into the local/closest coax wall outlet, and every TV that's connected into that COAX system should be fine. I'm driving four TVs on it as I type... Just make sure your COAX isn't connected to the local TV provider's COAX in the ground. You may need to go outside to disconnect that if you hadn't done that before. I had, so it was n problem.

So find the place where the antenna will get the best signal, hopefully near one of your home's COAX outlets, and make it happen.

Now, to see if we can live with what's offered "over the air" (digital or not)!!!

I've been doing that very thing for the last 10 years. Used all the wires that were being used for my cable at the time.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:17 PM 01-06-2022
Been using it for a week or two. Have a gig of fiber so making the switch from cable tomorrow. Got the 4K and sports package.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 16
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Up