ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2670 of 3903
« First < 1670217025702620266026662667266826692670 267126722673267426802720277031703670 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Chitownchiefsfan 09:33 AM 07-21-2020
7 day average for new cases in Florida is starting to drop slightly but the 7 day average for deaths continue to climb.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 09:35 AM 07-21-2020
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN24M25L

Chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell of the public health agency said a rapid slowdown in the spread of the virus indicated very strongly that Sweden had reached relatively widespread immunity.

“The epidemic is now being slowed down, in a way that I think few of us would have believed a week or so ago,” he told a news conference.

Daily COVID-19 death rates as well as the number of infected in intensive care have been slowing gradually since April, with seven new deaths and no new ICU admissions reported by the health agency.

“It really is yet another sign that the Swedish strategy is working,” Tegnell said. It is possible to slow contagion fast with the measures we are taking in Sweden.”
[Reply]
O.city 09:59 AM 07-21-2020
Yeah, Sweden looks like it's out the back end.

Their death rates are super high, for sure. But i also looked into how they're coding deaths. Anyone who dies within 30 days of a covid positive test is a covid death. That seems weird to me.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:00 AM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yeah, Sweden looks like it's out the back end.

Their death rates are super high, for sure. But i also looked into how they're coding deaths. Anyone who dies within 30 days of a covid positive test is a covid death. That seems weird to me.
I'm so confused. It's Tuesday so is Sweden good today or bad today?
[Reply]
petegz28 10:08 AM 07-21-2020
There is some political mumb-jumbo at the end of the linked article I left out of my post s

Originally Posted by :
Flaw in Manufacturer’s Testing System For Coronavirus Used by Labs Across the US Causing False Positives

A flaw in a manufacturer’s Coronavirus testing system used by labs across the US are causing false positives.

Department of Public Health scientists in Connecticut discovered the flaw in the testing system manufactured by Thermo Fisher Scientific.

According to DPH scientists, the affected patients were tested between July 15 to July 17 and out of a total of 144 ‘positive’ tests, 90 were false positives!

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

The Associated Press reported:

Scientists at Connecticut’s public health laboratory say they’ve discovered a flaw in a manufacturer’s testing system for the coronavirus that’s used by labs around the country. So far, it’s resulted in 90 people – mostly residents of Connecticut nursing homes and assisted living facilities – recently receiving false positive tests.

State public health officials are now reviewing whether nursing home residents who received false positive tests were grouped with other residents with accurate positive tests, given the state’s recommendation to cohort nursing home residents who test positive for COVID-19.

“We don’t know that yet,” said Josh Geballe, Gov. Ned Lamont’s chief operating officer, noting that a team from the state’s Department of Public Health has been reaching out to every clinician responsible for those individuals, as well as the facilities where they live, and compiling data on the situation.

Meanwhile, Dr. Deidre S. Gifford, the state’s acting public health commissioner, said her agency is also reaching out to labs throughout the state to see how many of them use the testing platform manufactured by Thermo Fisher Scientific.
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...lse-positives/
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:09 AM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by Strongside:
This “testing positive without ever getting tested” business is some alarming shit.
Happening all over
https://www.dailywire.com/news/nashv...Gch-qjl3WIsUdM
[Reply]
Monticore 10:11 AM 07-21-2020
I don't think it was a ever a good or bad they just did it different and we might not know for years still whether they their blueprint was the best option, in the end all the strategies could end up being a wash once everything is factored in long term. It is nice to see positive news coming out in regards to immunity though , I think we have a long way to go still but it is nice to be at least getting a glimpse of the finish line.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:11 AM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I was hoping, but you never can tell around here.
A lot of posters in this thread aren't big on someone being able to provide for their familys. He was mocking them.
[Reply]
Kiimo 10:13 AM 07-21-2020
Texas has definitely flattened if this is to be trusted

dashboard:

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...fe8b9640bcb4a7

McCallen though...

https://www.krgv.com/news/with-hospi...ome-available/
[Reply]
tk13 10:18 AM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by Kidd Lex:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN24M25L

Chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell of the public health agency said a rapid slowdown in the spread of the virus indicated very strongly that Sweden had reached relatively widespread immunity.

“The epidemic is now being slowed down, in a way that I think few of us would have believed a week or so ago,” he told a news conference.

Daily COVID-19 death rates as well as the number of infected in intensive care have been slowing gradually since April, with seven new deaths and no new ICU admissions reported by the health agency.

“It really is yet another sign that the Swedish strategy is working,” Tegnell said. It is possible to slow contagion fast with the measures we are taking in Sweden.”
I feel like I'm losing my mind and people are just living in an alternate fantasyland. Norway has had a handful of deaths, but haven't had more than 1 death in a day in almost a month.

Finland literally hasn't had a death in almost a month. Sweden is totally going the right direction but they killed 10+ times as many people as their neighbors to do it.
[Reply]
Kiimo 10:26 AM 07-21-2020
The "vodka shot" theory as I am choosing to call it where if you think of covid as shots of vodka and how if you take six shots at once you're more likely to be really screwed seems to have growing support.

The idea is that the initial intake amount matters as to how bad your symptoms are.

If this is the case it seems that wearing a mask actually DOES help you if you still get it.

Here's a study:

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/20/89322...aring-them-too

Originally Posted by :
And sort of putting it all together, it really is that the less virus that you get in, the less sick you're likely to be. So not only do masks protect you - and we've seen from getting the virus and altogether. And that's been seen in hamster studies. That's been seen in a health care worker study that was just published last week in JAMA. But if you do get the virus in, you get very little in. And you're likely to get what's called an asymptomatic infection or not have any symptoms at all and - or a very mild infection. So it really is based on the fact that we've known for many years now - probably a hundred - that the more virus you get into your system, the more likely you are to get sick. And these masks protect you.

[Reply]
O.city 10:28 AM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
I feel like I'm losing my mind and people are just living in an alternate fantasyland. Norway has had a handful of deaths, but haven't had more than 1 death in a day in almost a month.

Finland literally hasn't had a death in almost a month. Sweden is totally going the right direction but they killed 10+ times as many people as their neighbors to do it.
It's the long game for one. Those places didn't have those deaths, but now they've got to be super careful in how they open up, they likely can't reopen their tourist areas from other countries etc.

Sweden also as i said earlier, is much more meticulous in how they count deaths with COvid.

So it's more with Sweden "yeah, we had a really high death rate early, now it'll likely normalize and those other countries will trickle along and could end up getting close to us in the end".
[Reply]
Monticore 10:31 AM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
The "vodka shot" theory as I am choosing to call it where if you think of covid as shots of vodka and how if you take six shots at once you're more likely to be really screwed seems to have growing support.

The idea is that the initial intake amount matters as to how bad your symptoms are.

If this is the case it seems that wearing a mask actually DOES help you if you still get it.

Here's a study:

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/20/89322...aring-them-too
If you still get immunity from the smaller viral loads then opening things up with masks would allow people to be somewhat exposed at reduced risk of getting severe outcomes .
Bu we have also seem people exposed to what you think would similar viral loads getting completely different outcomes.
[Reply]
Monticore 10:36 AM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It's the long game for one. Those places didn't have those deaths, but now they've got to be super careful in how they open up, they likely can't reopen their tourist areas from other countries etc.

Sweden also as i said earlier, is much more meticulous in how they count deaths with COvid.

So it's more with Sweden "yeah, we had a really high death rate early, now it'll likely normalize and those other countries will trickle along and could end up getting close to us in the end".
With the improvements in how covid is treated it could still end up having a better outcome overall by pushing those cases down the road but who knows, I think Finland and Norway are more open than Sweden right now but I am not sure by how much what their policies are exactly with masks etc.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 10:41 AM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
I don't think it was a ever a good or bad they just did it different and we might not know for years still whether they their blueprint was the best option, in the end all the strategies could end up being a wash once everything is factored in long term. It is nice to see positive news coming out in regards to immunity though , I think we have a long way to go still but it is nice to be at least getting a glimpse of the finish line.
This is how I see it too. Compared to their neighbors it’s impossible to say they did it right in my opinion, but given the way the virus rolled through Italy and New York and now Sweden before falling off seems to be another data point to show immunity thresholds may be far below the 60% threshold. Looks like Texas and Arizona might be following the same trajectory. Gives me hope that herd immunity is possible with some mitigation (wearing masks, social distancing, etc) at 10-20% infection rate.
[Reply]
Page 2670 of 3903
« First < 1670217025702620266026662667266826692670 267126722673267426802720277031703670 > Last »
Up