ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Would you eat a goat?
Yes - I've had goat meat and would eat it again 45 66.18%
Yes - I've not had goat meat but would at least try it 15 22.06%
No - I've had it and didn't care for it 3 4.41%
No - I wouldn't eat goat meat 2 2.94%
Depends how far into the apocalype we are 3 4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Goat Meat - Would You?
Mephistopheles Janx 06:08 PM 06-23-2022
Have you eaten goat/chevron and if so... how did you like it and how did it compare, in your opinion, to beef?

Would you eat goat/chevron?

---

But... why?

Meat prices are skyrocketing and who the hell knows if it will even be feasible to even afford to buy meat and/or if it will even be available. I'm not thinking in a conspiracy theorist "the world government is going to make people stop eating meat" kinda way. Just in a cost and general availability kinda way.

I just picked up 5 goats (4 registered "Fainting" goats and a ND weather) and the intention is that these are going to be my friends and pets. Their children OTOH... the pretty ones sell (they can go from $300-$500 a piece) and the ones that don't hang around for 5 months then go into the freezer with all organs, scraps, and a lot of the stew meat being gathered and going to the dogs.

4 pictured, one getting here today

Ok, but... why GOATS?

2 big reasons.

1) I'm out here on this homestead all by myself now and the last thing I need is to get sideswiped by an animal considerably larger than me and while cows tend to be docile... I'm just not willing to risk it.

I chose Myotonic goats specifically because they tend to be friendly and are among the smallest of the meat goats. Plus, the fact that they stiffen up when spooked makes it that much easier to chase them down if they slip out.

2) $$$ They eat 30-40% less than cows do per pound of meat produced meaning I have more than enough hay to feed them year around with no issues. Also, they are considerably less expensive than cows in terms of cost for the actual animal itself.

I'll be butchering them myself thus will not incur any processing fees.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 04:55 AM 06-24-2022
Going to Jamaica every year I’ve enjoyed quite a few of their delicacies. Curry Goat is very good, same with Ox tail.
[Reply]
Dartgod 10:12 AM 06-24-2022
I've never eaten goat (that I know of), but I would.

Side note, we're going to need a video of you scaring the bejesus out of those fainting goats.
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:26 AM 06-24-2022
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Birria and more importantly quesabirria is life
Start at the 1:45 minute mark. I miss this place.

[Reply]
rydogg58 06:31 PM 06-24-2022
Growing up, my dad always raised meat goats. Boer goats were what he raised. The meat is like most other meat, it's all in how you cook it or season it.

If you are looking to expand your goat herd, you might look into the Boer. They're a strudy breed and they pack quite a bit of meat on their frames.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 06:34 PM 06-24-2022
Originally Posted by rydogg58:
Growing up, my dad always raised meat goats. Boer goats were what he raised. The meat is like most other meat, it's all in how you cook it or season it.

If you are looking to expand your goat herd, you might look into the Boer. They're a strudy breed and they pack quite a bit of meat on their frames.
I'm on this farm all my myself. I thought about Boer goats but I don't need an animal the size of a linebacker taking me out at the knee when I'm not looking. LOLOL
[Reply]
Stewie 06:34 PM 06-24-2022
It's better than mutton.

Young animals are way better than older animals.

Lamb is better than mutton.

Veal is better than a young steer and better than a 1 year old steer.

A butchered 10 week meat chicken is better than that 2-year old layer or rooster.

Young pigs rule. Less than a year and they produce the best meat. Bacon, bacon, bacon... Ribs, chops, butt, ham....
[Reply]
seclark 06:48 PM 06-24-2022
I’ve eaten goat, and drank goats milk.
But as others have said, you can keep the goat cheese.
sec
[Reply]
scho63 06:54 PM 06-24-2022
Goat is fantastic.

Curried goat at Indian Restaurants and jerked goat at Jamaican Restaurants.
[Reply]
scho63 06:55 PM 06-24-2022
Also goat cheese is great.
[Reply]
kc rush 11:51 PM 06-24-2022
I had goat stew at an African restaurant. Was good and would eat again.
[Reply]
Monty 01:46 AM 06-25-2022
Goat, lamb, buffalo, venison, elk, etc. are all great if prepared correctly.
[Reply]
TimeForWasp 03:09 AM 06-25-2022
Someone needs to eat the goat before the season starts.
[Reply]
btlook1 05:53 AM 06-25-2022
We had goat several times while in Mexico, unless they told you what it was I wouldn't have noticed and thought it was probably beef. I'm sure it depends on how you cook it but what I had was great!! There's quite a few people in the usa that eat goat I believe.
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 07:19 AM 06-25-2022
Were I weirded out by goat meat, I’d revisit the concept of eating meat. Not sure I could go full Janx and butcher the thing myself, but that’s probably just my ignorance speaking. I wouldn’t know where to start and I’ll probably have to occasion to wish I knew.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 07:34 AM 06-25-2022
Goat meat is delicious. Your Mom likes to cook it for me after I finish banging her.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up