ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 8
< 12345 678 >
Media Center>Napoleon Dynamite...
Stewie 08:43 PM 05-30-2022
Watched this today for the first time in years.

A movie of stupidity, but really entertaining.

What movies do you watch where you can put your mind in neutral and just laugh?
[Reply]
backinblack 10:27 PM 06-06-2022
Sausage Party.

Completely stupid and devoid of any actual intelligence. But damn if it doesn't bust me up laughing.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:30 AM 06-07-2022
Eat your food, Tina! Gosh!
[Reply]
Molitoth 11:19 AM 06-07-2022
I love napoleon dynamite.

High replay value.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 11:34 AM 06-07-2022
This movie is spectacular. There are endless hilarious quotes:

"How about some gold bracelets?"

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

"I caught you a delicious bass."

"Easy. I've already looked into it for myself."

"Do you think anyone wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these badboys?"
[Reply]
ThaVirus 11:53 AM 06-07-2022
Originally Posted by Stewie:
You need to broaden your pallette.

There were great movies made before 1995. :-)
To be honest, I just don't think those match my humor.

Monty Python, Airplane!, Caddyshack.. I have no desire to see those movies. They don't look funny or interesting to me at all.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:07 PM 06-07-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
This movie is spectacular. There are endless hilarious quotes:

"How about some gold bracelets?"

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

"I caught you a delicious bass."

"Easy. I've already looked into it for myself."

"Do you think anyone wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these badboys?"
Yup. The whole damn movie is quotable. And i feel like it only gets better with age.

"Chicks only like guys with skills. You know like nunchuck skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills"

"Your mom goes to college"

"Like anyone could even possibly know that"

"Napoleon, give me some of your tots"

"Are you drinking 2% because you think you're fat? Because you could drink whole milk if you really wanted to"

"Aren't you like, really good at drawing or something?" "I'm pretty much the best i know".

....the list goes on and on....such a quotable movie.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:08 PM 06-07-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
To be honest, I just don't think those match my humor.

Monty Python, Airplane!, Caddyshack.. I have no desire to see those movies. They don't look funny or interesting to me at all.
While it's not my favorite comedy, I can't think of a movie that's funnier from beginning to end than Airplane. Plenty of the slapstick, idiot comedy that you say you like. And Steve Martin's The Man With Two Brains should be right up your alley.

Don't dismiss movies just because they're "before your time." You're only doing yourself a disservice. And I hate to break it to you, but "before your time" is in most cases massively better. It's not like a typical old comedy relied on special effects that you'd consider dated because there wasn't any CGI at the time.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:09 PM 06-07-2022
The steak throw is fucking hilarious.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:09 PM 06-07-2022
"I don't know, i guess i could like, bake her a cake or something"

"If you vote for me, i'll make all of your wildest dreams come true"
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:47 PM 06-07-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
While it's not my favorite comedy, I can't think of a movie that's funnier from beginning to end than Airplane. Plenty of the slapstick, idiot comedy that you say you like. And Steve Martin's The Man With Two Brains should be right up your alley.

Don't dismiss movies just because they're "before your time." You're only doing yourself a disservice. And I hate to break it to you, but "before your time" is in most cases massively better. It's not like a typical old comedy relied on special effects that you'd consider dated because there wasn't any CGI at the time.
Oh, no, you've got me all wrong!

I was born in 1989 and I'd still put Trading Places, Coming to America, and Big in my top 10 comedy movies of all-time. (would Big be considered a comedy in the traditional sense?)

I enjoy Ferris Bueller's Day Off, just watched Beetlejuice for the first time a couple weeks ago actually, The Breakfast Club. I was in the movies thread the other day talking about how I re-watched Porky's recently.

I was just saying I had no interest in Airplane!, Monty Python, and Caddyshack because I've seen bits and pieces of them over the years and it just doesn't appear to be up my alley.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:48 PM 06-07-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
The steak throw is fucking hilarious.
Yeah, funniest part of the movie for me. That sidearm toss is everything.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:49 PM 06-07-2022
I feel like pretty much every comedy is the type you just have to turn your brain off and laugh.

Maybe I'm just blanking but I can't think of a single comedy in which one of the main characters wasn't a complete fucking idiot or weirdo..
Almost all of Woody Allen's comedy is because he's neurotic and overthinking.

Maybe it makes him an idiot or weirdo in the eyes of some, but the entire genre is different from the Will Ferrell model where the stupidity is the humor. Not that either is superior to the other, just wildly different in approach

[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:59 PM 06-07-2022
Oh, no, you've got me all wrong!

I was born in 1989 and I'd still put Trading Places, Coming to America, and Big in my top 10 comedy movies of all-time. (would Big be considered a comedy in the traditional sense?)

I enjoy Ferris Bueller's Day Off, just watched Beetlejuice for the first time a couple weeks ago actually, The Breakfast Club. I was in the movies thread the other day talking about how I re-watched Porky's recently.

I was just saying I had no interest in Airplane!, Monty Python, and Caddyshack because I've seen bits and pieces of them over the years and it just doesn't appear to be up my alley.
As for Airplane! ease yourself in with Naked Gun, then Top Secret! then try it out. It's pretty much just puns and punchlines wrapped around a plot device of the typical air disaster drama. You might need to be acclimated to a pun and punchline type of movie to get into the mood.

As for Caddyshack, ease into it starting with Fletch, then the Vacation and Christmas Vacation movies [skip European and the subsequent straight to video shit] then Animal House. It's a zeitgeist of counterculturals and rebels subverting tradition comedy. Hard to see how you appreciate Eddie Murphy and Ferris Bueller without appreciating Caddyshack when you appreciate the context.

As for Monty Python, I don't know what to tell you. I personally cannot conceive of respecting the comedic sensibilities of someone who doesn't appreciate Python. Maybe the 'chance' you've given it thus far just hit all the most wrong notes, but Python is unquestionably undebatably funny regardless of acclimation or context.
[Reply]
phisherman 01:03 PM 06-07-2022
Monty Python is definitely an acquired taste but is also truly groundbreaking comedy.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:08 PM 06-07-2022
Originally Posted by phisherman:
Monty Python is definitely an acquired taste but is also truly groundbreaking comedy.
Also, a vague general reference to 'Python' doesn't tell anyone much about your criticism.

They've been around for half a century and have been very prolific. . . I'm not arguing that every single frame of every single property has been unmitigated platinum-level comedy.

If he's seen like half of Holy Grail or Life of Brian and still hates it, that's inexplicable. . . . If he saw the wrong 30 seconds of Meaning of Life, or just a few clips of a skit or two from Flying Circus, . . . well you can just point him to better content.

Another recommendation that is Python-adjacent, A Fish Called Wanda is a great comedy
[Reply]
Page 5 of 8
< 12345 678 >
Up