ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 202 of 286
« First < 102152192198199200201202 203204205206212252 > Last »
Media Center>*The NEW Movies Thread*
Bowser 11:09 AM 01-04-2014
Old one is crapping out the server, per the new guidelines.

Browse the old thread that is chock full of goodness here -

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:48 AM 12-29-2018
Originally Posted by Nzoner:
Went to see this yesterday,well worth the price of admission

How have I not heard of this? That looks amazing.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:50 AM 12-29-2018
Of course not in my theater. The fucks.
[Reply]
Nzoner 08:54 AM 12-29-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
How have I not heard of this? That looks amazing.
I hadn't either and it was released mid-November,I was searching movie trailers and got lucky that it was still showing at the Barry road AMC.The IMDB reviews are saying it's a sure Oscar contender,I know I give it a solid 2 thumbs up.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:43 AM 12-29-2018
Originally Posted by Nzoner:
Went to see this yesterday,well worth the price of admission

Looks like an interesting twist on Driving Miss Daisy. :-)
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:00 AM 12-29-2018
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Looks like an interesting twist on Driving Miss Daisy. :-)
As should surprise no one, it's catching loads of flack.

People admit it is moving and well told, but are righteously angered over it's problematic messaging.

It's based on a true story. You might remember Tony Lip from The Sopranos and Goodfellas

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0513401/

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ony-vallelonga

The family of the pianist are on a campaign against it because they weren't 'sufficiently consulted' and arguing that he wasn't estranged as the movie suggests. And some are simply angered because the movie isn't literally a movie about the green book.

google 'green book problematic' and enjoy.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:51 AM 12-29-2018
Cinefix is a GREAT resource, and their top 10 of 2018 is out. It's great in that it not only picks great films, but explains their attractiveness in ways that excite you to watch their selections

[Reply]
Nzoner 12:09 PM 12-29-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:

People admit it is moving and well told, but are righteously angered over it's problematic messaging.

It's based on a true story. You might remember Tony Lip from The Sopranos and Goodfellas

The family of the pianist are on a campaign against it because they weren't 'sufficiently consulted' and arguing that he wasn't estranged as the movie suggests. And some are simply angered because the movie isn't literally a movie about the green book.

Why does this not surprise me? Personally,two thumbs up,great acting,storytelling and a good mix of drama and comedy.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:43 PM 12-29-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:

Right. I wish I hadn’t googled that. Christ.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:38 PM 12-30-2018
Rampage was meh. Didn't expect much and wasn't disappointed.

Bird Box was worth a watch.

Slenderman was absolute garbage.

Solo was pretty good, I thought. L3 was funny and the actors playing Han and Lando did a great job.
[Reply]
sully1983 09:02 AM 12-31-2018
saw a lot this year and I gotta say it was kind of a very meh year for film. here are some of my favs of 2018
1. Leave No Trace
2. You Were Never Really Here
3. Annihilation
4. Sicario 2
5. The Sisters Brothers
6. Outlaw King

IMO the year 2017 shits all over 2018 . 2017 had Blade Runner 2049 , Dunkirk, Wind River, Logan , mother, Brawl in Cell Block 99 , John Wick 2 , Wonder Woman & Get Out etc etc (just a superior year all around imo)

2019 should (hopefully) be pretty good to great . Can't wait for The Irishman , Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Dragged Across Concrete
[Reply]
Nzoner 09:59 AM 01-01-2019
Originally Posted by sully1983:
4. Sicario 2
Finally saw this last night was a little lost at the end but assuming there will be a 3rd installment that will answer questions.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:57 PM 01-01-2019
It's far from a 'new' movie, but still a 2018 offering. Finally got around to Isle of Dogs a little tipsy and tired when I couldn't sleep after all the festivities.

Was in the right mood to sit and watch without looking to distract myself as is my usual wont. Enjoyed it a great deal.

If I had to sum it up, I'd characterize it as the 'Wes Anderson-est' movie in a while. Everything you love [or hate] about WA movies are perfectly calibrated for the medium and the narrative.

What surprised me was the effectiveness of two things, the running gags and the subtle characterizations of the dogs. The humor is subtle and dry, but while you won't pause the DVR to roll on the ground laughing, you WILL pause a time or two to gently and languorously savor a well-earned chuckle [it will be a while before I hear Jeff Goldblum talk without thinking to myself 'hey, did you hear about?'].

And more than once the scenes made me earnestly wish for a nearby dog to hug just for being a dog. Fist pumps will happen at points.

It's meticulous and preachy and twee, but in all the perfect ways that make for a satisfying 90+ minutes.

At this point, I measure Wes Anderson against the likes of Tarantino and the Coens, and while IoD wasn't on par with the absolute best of any of the three, it is in the upp quadrant, and I'd say it's the best of the most recent offerings of the three [between IoD, Buster Scruggs, and H8ful8, which I place in that order].

This isn't a preview of the film itself, per se. But if you end up hating this 'honest trailer' IoD and Wes aren't for you. And if you find yourself excited, they probably are.

[Reply]
jimidollar 04:29 PM 01-01-2019
I love Wes Anderson's films. The Life Aquatic is a fucking underappreciated masterpiece. I haven't seen Isle of Dogs yet.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 05:34 PM 01-01-2019
Originally Posted by -King-:
I'm 0 for 2 on Stanley Kubrick movies. Watched Shining for the first time today and I thought it was a really bad movie. Didn't like FMJ, but this movie was a lot worse.
Posted via Mobile Device
This post explains a lot. JFC
[Reply]
Nzoner 06:38 PM 01-01-2019
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
This post explains a lot. JFC
:-)
[Reply]
Page 202 of 286
« First < 102152192198199200201202 203204205206212252 > Last »
Up