ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 11
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Blowfish got Whacked
gblowfish 01:14 PM 02-04-2023
I lost my job yesterday.

Didn't really get "fired." More like laid off. They told me they couldn't afford to pay me any more, and end of February would be my last day.

I'm a free agent. If anybody here in the KC area could use a guy like me in customer service, or a work from home deal, I'm open to just about anything. I'd been with my employer for 16 years, and with my previous employer before that for 20. I've been in media manufacturing for 36 years. First time I've been unemployed since 1985. It's a little scary. Have no idea what I'll do next. But it's also kind of exciting, as I can go and do just about anything. I just hope it doesn't take a long time to get somebody to take a chance on me. If you guys have any leads for me, pm me for my cell or email to gblowfish@comcast.net. I've got a resume I can send you.

Thanks for the good mojo. I'm a little blue this weekend as you can imagine.

Mrs. B took me to dinner last night, then we saw "A Man Called Otto" with Tom Hanks. Geez...what a laugh riot. I haven't chuckled that much since I saw "Schindler's List!" I feel so much better now.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 10:00 PM 02-04-2023
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
I do a killer Fran Drescher impersonation.
I'm guessing its the voice more than anything else.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:07 PM 02-04-2023
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
I'm guessing its the voice more than anything else.
He also wears a lot of leopard skin.

[Reply]
srvy 10:12 PM 02-04-2023
The new distribution center for Amazon in Liberty has been begging for employees for the last few months. They send out flyers and since I am a prime member they have my email addy. They say all positions so I suppose you wouldn't be on the line packing. Dont know if its open yet but I know its soon.

I went through what you are a little over 10 years ago. I had 36 years as a land surveyor for a major engineering firm in KC. The old guard running the company overextended growth with the new management. Paid more attention to energy and transportation instead of longstanding real estate and construction companies. I saw good people get the buyout and it finally got to me. I took the buyout and 2 days later had a job with larger energy and transportation energy firm in Kansas. One year later my old company sold to a firm out of Iowa to get into the energy and transportation they had established. A year after the purchase they clear nearly all the employees that were left. Now they contract a lot of their field crews from us to do the work. They are thriving and I couldn't be happier where I am now. I don't get out to the field as often but I'm 66 and retirement is on the horizon first will be my new knees when I get around to biting the bullet.

Good luck GB you will have no trouble finding work if you want it.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 10:26 PM 02-04-2023
Here's one that came recommended by a friend. This girl lived near me.

They connect older workers to government work. Hers were pretty long term contracts, like technical writing for the park service with paid travel to national parks. Shes had excellent experience with it. Exciting time for sure!

https://newsolutions.org/
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 10:28 PM 02-04-2023
George, idk how you feel about Florida. But there’s a massage parlor in south Florida that is looking for help. Supposedly there are lots a very rich clients that frequent the place. Not supposed to say names, but one of the billionaires names that goes there rhymes with Rob Raft. They pay pretty well I’ve heard. Just a suggestion.

Just kidding bro, hope you find a better job asap. I don’t wish unemployment on anyone. I remember the last recession hit, and I couldn’t find work to save my life. Had a family to support, and literally couldn’t find work. I remember it vividly. Second worst time of my life. Hope you find something more rewarding quickly. I feel like you’re a positive person, and good things usually come to those type of people.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:04 AM 02-05-2023
Good luck GB, there are plenty of jobs out there these days and I'm sure the right one will be landed by you.
[Reply]
tmax63 10:12 AM 02-05-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
He also wears a lot of leopard skin.

but does have the tits to fill it out?:-)
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:49 AM 02-05-2023
My dad told me “don’t ever love your company because it’ll never love you back”. And he owned a company so I believed him. However I’ve been with mine a long time and am a constant advocate for it, publicly, to all employees I meet.

That said when the day comes I get whacked, I won’t be surprised at all. Best of luck to you George
[Reply]
stevieray 11:17 AM 02-05-2023
I celebrate 28 years in June, but feel your pain.

I never know when my career will end, could be this week. It can be nerve racking, if you think about it too much.

I'll reiterate what others have said.

You'll land on your feet. I don't see it going down any other way.

Good fortune to you!
[Reply]
007 11:28 AM 02-05-2023
I've been there. It sucks getting let go because they can find cheaper and younger replacements.

Good luck to you my friend. I have no doubt you'll land on your feet in an even better situation.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 12:39 PM 02-05-2023
On the bright side, it's at happening when things are somewhat back to normal and not when covid forced everyone to their homes. That and the demand is still pretty hot all things considered.

I'd recommend flipping a bit of money to a professional on fiver or something similar to review your resume, linkedin, etc. and talk to some recruiters.

Seems daunting to spend some money when you're out pf work and recruiters suck, but let's face it dude. The job market has changed a lot since you last looked.

You gotta know how to hit them keywords just right on the atupid resume scanners to even have a shot now.
[Reply]
gblowfish 01:03 PM 02-05-2023
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
George, idk how you feel about Florida. But there’s a massage parlor in south Florida that is looking for help. Supposedly there are lots a very rich clients that frequent the place. Not supposed to say names, but one of the billionaires names that goes there rhymes with Rob Raft. They pay pretty well I’ve heard. Just a suggestion.

Just kidding bro, hope you find a better job asap. I don’t wish unemployment on anyone. I remember the last recession hit, and I couldn’t find work to save my life. Had a family to support, and literally couldn’t find work. I remember it vividly. Second worst time of my life. Hope you find something more rewarding quickly. I feel like you’re a positive person, and good things usually come to those type of people.
I'm sure Bobby gives good tips for a rubby and tuggy. I don't need money that badly!
[Reply]
MatriculatingHank 01:04 PM 02-05-2023
Good luck in the job search!
Also, Todd Haley says "HA! HA! F$#K You!"
[Reply]
gblowfish 01:06 PM 02-05-2023
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
On the bright side, it's at happening when things are somewhat back to normal and not when covid forced everyone to their homes. That and the demand is still pretty hot all things considered.

I'd recommend flipping a bit of money to a professional on fiver or something similar to review your resume, linkedin, etc. and talk to some recruiters.

Seems daunting to spend some money when you're out pf work and recruiters suck, but let's face it dude. The job market has changed a lot since you last looked.

You gotta know how to hit them keywords just right on the atupid resume scanners to even have a shot now.
That's good advice. I hate that these computer bots just look for buzzwords. Lots of the sites that list jobs are crammed with weasel speak and BS generated motivational hype. On a lot of the listings, you can't even figure out what the company does! Miss the old days when you could type up a resume, put on a suit, walk into the business and talk to the owner. Sell yourself in person. That's how I got most of my jobs in the past. Brave new world. And there's a LOT of age discrimination against people older than 50.
[Reply]
gblowfish 01:07 PM 02-05-2023
Originally Posted by MatriculatingHank:
Good luck in the job search!
Also, Todd Haley says "HA! HA! F$#K You!"
He's been unemployed more times than I have.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 11
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up