ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What 2023 safety situation makes the most sense.
Pay Thornhill fair market value, bring Deon Bush back. Keep the band together. 13 14.77%
Let Thornhill walk, promote Cook to starter, middling free agent acquisition + draft pick to round out the corps. 42 47.73%
I don't know if Cook is ready for full time duties. Spend a one-year contract on the best FA you can find, and maybe a late round pick. 11 12.50%
Cook isn't ready, I don't think. Spend a premium pick (1st or 2nd rounder?) on a starter. Keep Cook as 3rd. 5 5.68%
Cook and Reid should be fine, honestly. Sneed's really the third safety. No investments needed. 15 17.05%
Have we ever considered just starting 11 nose tackles and seeing what happens? 7 7.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Pick the safety situation for 2023 that most pleases you.
Direckshun 11:51 AM 02-04-2023
Poll forthcoming.
[Reply]
RealSNR 01:52 PM 02-04-2023
Isn't Cook more of a SS? And Thornhill more of a FS?

I know modern NFL schemes don't really care as much about the distinctions between safety types anymore since either your guys can handle coverage responsibilities or they kind of suck, but I'm still unsure about equating the two players as one being the replacement for the other.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 02:23 PM 02-04-2023
I hate to say it, but let Thornhill walk. I will always remember what he was his rookie year. He had so much potential. But he, sadly has never fully regained that form after the injury. He's had more than enough time. It's time to try again.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:27 PM 02-04-2023
I'm in a similar spot with Cook today I am with Moore.

I'm not sure if he's a starter but I think you have to give him a shot at it.

I let JJSS and Thornhill walk to give those guys their shot. Sink or swim, lads.

Use the money saved to extend Sneed or sign Davenport.
[Reply]
poolboy 02:32 PM 02-04-2023
I would like to keep as much continuity as possible in the secondary
spags defense is difficult for first year players
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 02:33 PM 02-04-2023
Cook has shown me enough I'm fine with banking on him. This is football, this isn't your heart surgeon. The risk isn't that big. Let Cook................................................

............that's right i'm gonna do it......

LET COOK COOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
RunKC 02:35 PM 02-04-2023
I’ve seen more than enough from Cook to feel fine with him starting. This last game really showed how much he brings to the table.

I’d let Thornhill walk and get a smaller FA deal and draft one
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:49 PM 02-04-2023
Originally Posted by poolboy:
I would like to keep as much continuity as possible in the secondary
spags defense is difficult for first year players
Seems like they got up to speed just fine...

Frankly, our biggest problems on defense the last 5 years have ALWAYS been the veterans. The sorensens and Hitchens and scandricks and Okafors.

How many rookies have been entrusted with playing time and failed? I can't think of many.

Continuity has hurt us more than it's helped us during the Spags regime.
[Reply]
poolboy 03:01 PM 02-04-2023
good point...we have the luxury bringing along playing rookies and fa's on defense.
Im just thinking it might bite us some time early in the season at some point
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:20 PM 02-04-2023
Just keep drafting defense. Better to have young fast atheletic guys than guys that begin losing a step. Keep it young and hungry.
[Reply]
Bowser 03:34 PM 02-04-2023
I voted to let him walk and draft one, but I'm not extremely happy with it. But as has been said, I feel like they're serious about a Jones extension, it has to happen. Thornhill is a solid player and a great complimentary piece next to Reid. I'd hate to tear that duo up, especially after they've gelled as nicely as they have the last month and a half.
[Reply]
Woogieman 03:41 PM 02-04-2023
Very deep draft at safety combined with 11+ draft picks and = hard to pay Thornhill what he wants in CJ FA year; he simply can't be replaced and must be resigned. Find a thumper in the draft (Antonio Johnson at 32?) and rotate in rookie, Cook, Bush...they will be solid by playoffs.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 04:06 PM 02-04-2023
draft Riley Moss
[Reply]
kccrow 04:28 PM 02-04-2023
Already made my argument in the draft forum so I'll just say:
Cook starts with Reid. Sneed continues to be the NB.
Modest FA signing (like retaining Bush) and mid-round draft pick (4th/5th).
Thornhill walks.

Again, this board has a shitty opinion of Cook, and for no reason really. The kid has flashed some big-time ability. I guess people expected he'd supplant Thornhill or something. Thornhill is a pretty fucking solid safety himself.
[Reply]
BossChief 11:42 PM 02-04-2023
Thornhill has been a badass the last couple months.
[Reply]
cdcox 12:06 AM 02-05-2023
So of our top 3 safeties:

Thornhill was the best in coverage. He had the fewest targets and the fewest receptions allowed per pass snap. He had 3 interceptions. He had the lowest QB rating when targeted.

Justin Reid had many more targets and allowed more receptions than Thornhill. No interceptions. But Reid tended to play closer to the LOS and did a great job of shutting down the sideways passing game of opponents.

Bryan Cook was a mixed bag. He wasn't targeted often, but when he was, it was very successful. A QB rating of over 145 when targeted. It is a high risk move for him to be the number 2 safety and see a lot of snaps.

Thornhill is replaceable, but you have to replace him. Can you do it with a mid-round draft choice or a free agent? If not, and you can get a friendly deal, he might be worth resigning but only for 2-3 years of effective contract length (could cut him after 2-3 years).
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up