ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What 2023 safety situation makes the most sense.
Pay Thornhill fair market value, bring Deon Bush back. Keep the band together. 13 14.77%
Let Thornhill walk, promote Cook to starter, middling free agent acquisition + draft pick to round out the corps. 42 47.73%
I don't know if Cook is ready for full time duties. Spend a one-year contract on the best FA you can find, and maybe a late round pick. 11 12.50%
Cook isn't ready, I don't think. Spend a premium pick (1st or 2nd rounder?) on a starter. Keep Cook as 3rd. 5 5.68%
Cook and Reid should be fine, honestly. Sneed's really the third safety. No investments needed. 15 17.05%
Have we ever considered just starting 11 nose tackles and seeing what happens? 7 7.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Pick the safety situation for 2023 that most pleases you.
Direckshun 11:51 AM 02-04-2023
Poll forthcoming.
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:54 AM 02-04-2023
We've been talking about this in DraftPlanet.

I think Cook has been solid but he's only played, at most, 40% of the snaps in a game as Spags has brought him along.

He's made plays, he's gotten burned. He was a rookie.

Do we have enough faith in him as a starter? Or do we need to hedge our bets, and by how much?
[Reply]
Third Eye 12:15 PM 02-04-2023
I suppose it comes down to what is FMV for Thornhill and what else is available at what price. It also depends on if we win the SB or not.

I don’t think Cook is ready to be the full time guy. He’s made some great splash plays, but he’s also been beaten badly at times. Most egregious to me, he’s made a number of just absolutely bone headed penalties that leave me wary of trusting him.

That being said, if we win, then maybe I’m more willing to try him out as a starter rather than sink money in the position.
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:17 PM 02-04-2023
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
I suppose it comes down to what is FMV for Thornhill and what else is available at what price. It also depends on if we win the SB or not.

I don’t think Cook is ready to be the full time guy. He’s made some great splash plays, but he’s also been beaten badly at times, and most egregious to me, he’s made a number of just absolutely bone headed penalties let leave me wary of trusting him.

That being said, if we win, then maybe I’m more willing to try him out as a starter rather than sink money in the position.
A guy who can play 100% of your snaps and can play as well as Thornhill has down the stretch?

Justin Reid was 3 years, $31.5m, $20m guaranteed. Thornhill should match that, I'm assuming.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 12:22 PM 02-04-2023
I like letting Thornhill walk and drafting a safety in the first couple rounds.

You can find really good players at the position where we’ll be drafting. Keeps the group fairly inexpensive overall.

I have complete trust in Veach and Spags with young DBs.
[Reply]
cmh6476 12:22 PM 02-04-2023
Which option most likely helps us extend Jones?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:24 PM 02-04-2023
I say trust your scouting, and trust your coaching staff.

Draft and develop. spend the FA money when you know you need to, but draft and develop as much as possible.
[Reply]
Pablo 12:25 PM 02-04-2023
In Blart Reach I Trust
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:29 PM 02-04-2023
Originally Posted by cmh6476:
Which option most likely helps us extend Jones?
Letting Thornhill walk and drafting.

The question still stands at that point: is Cook ready for prime time.

If so, you can draft late or bring in vet mins. If not, draft high.

I'm with Meck, though: the coaching staff knows exactly what they have in Cook, because they've seen him take thousands of snaps this year that we simply haven't seen. But we can make some preliminary judgments just based on what we've seen.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 12:32 PM 02-04-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Letting Thornhill walk and drafting.

The question still stands at that point: is Cook ready for prime time.

If so, you can draft late or bring in vet mins. If not, draft high.

I'm with Meck, though: the coaching staff knows exactly what they have in Cook, because they've seen him take thousands of snaps this year that we simply haven't seen. But we can make some preliminary judgments just based on what we've seen.
I’d say draft high regardless of what they think of Cook.

We’ve seen teams like the Bengals have a lot of success attacking the middle of the field. Worst case, you become really good at safety.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 12:37 PM 02-04-2023
Reid has played better of late but has not played to the level his contract merits. Thornhill has been OK this season but does not even sniff elite level safety play. I have yet to see the physical intimidator that Cook was in college at the pro level yet, and it seems he is more guilty of getting flagged on plays and being a step slow in coverage at this point, but I think you give him time to grow.

The Chiefs are in a position draft-wise to pick best player available and there are some good safeties you can probably get late first and second round this year that can impact the game. Loving the development of this young secondary considering all the reps the corners got this season and should be a position of strength real soon. Adding elite safety talent will only make things better.

I wouldn’t be dumping a ton of free agent money in the position, but instead continue to add young talent. Let that secondary grow together.
[Reply]
oldman 12:40 PM 02-04-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I say trust your scouting, and trust your coaching staff.

Draft and develop. spend the FA money when you know you need to, but draft and develop as much as possible.
I'm with Chris on this one. I've never been too impressed with Thornhill, especially after his injury. Except for some rookie mistakes and a couple of bonehead decisions, he's OK. The key is to keep Sneed.
[Reply]
Iconic 12:41 PM 02-04-2023
Sign a middling safety in FA that can play single high, draft some developmental Ss in rounds 3 - 7, and let Cook... cook.
[Reply]
SeattleChiefFan 01:43 PM 02-04-2023
While I'm intrigued by the 11 DT idea, I trust Rhett Bleach to make the correct call.
[Reply]
JPH83 01:52 PM 02-04-2023
First half now the season there's no way I wanted Thornhill back. Last 5 games version of him, it's a LOT more tempting, especially if he balls out in the SB. But ultimately it's probably just too much $ to sink into the position alongside Reid. So I reckon let him walk, go for a mid-round draft pick there focusing on a coverage guy, with Bush coming back and hope it holds up with an improved DL.

When Thornhill is on his game I dont think Cook will end up offering anywhere near as good coverage. But he's not on his game enough. So we'll roll with Cook and see what we've got.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up