ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>6 of 9 experts from The Athletic pick KC
RaidersOftheCellar 05:03 AM 02-04-2023
Super Bowl 2023 expert picks, odds: Early predictions for Chiefs vs. Eagles

By Adam Gretz

The Super Bowl LVII matchup is set, and it is only fitting that it will involve the No. 1 seeds from the AFC and NFC as the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles meet. It’ll be the first matchup of No. 1 seeds since 2017, when the Eagles beat the Patriots in Super Bowl LII. The Eagles are a small favorite and the over/under opened at 49.5.

Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 12, from State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona. The game will be televised nationally on FOX. Kevin Burkhardt and Greg Olsen will broadcast their first Super Bowl.

There is no shortage of storylines with Andy Reid going against his former team and the Kelce brothers (Travis and Jason) facing off. Still, as is usually the case in the NFL everything will ultimately revolve around the two quarterbacks. Specifically the health of Jalen Hurts and Patrick Mahomes.

Neither player has been 100 percent healthy in recent weeks as Hurts has dealt with a shoulder injury, and Mahomes has been playing through a high-ankle sprain. While Mahomes’ mobility seemed limited in the AFC Championship win over the Cincinnati Bengals, he still threw for over 300 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions.

Hurts, meanwhile, has not looked quite as strong in recent weeks and has not thrown for more than 160 yards in either of the Eagles’ first two playoff games.

It also helps that he has not needed to throw the football. The Eagles steamrolled through the NFC playoffs, beating the New York Giants and San Francisco 49ers by a combined score of 69-14. As impressive as that run has been, it has also probably been one of the easiest playoff paths for a team in recent memory. After beating up on a mediocre Giants team in the Divisional Round, they got a San Francisco team in the NFC Championship Game that ran out of quarterbacks.

Things will get a lot more difficult against Mahomes and the Chiefs.

One thing to watch is how the Eagles can put pressure on Mahomes. His ability to extend plays under pressure is a big part of what makes the Chiefs offense so dangerous.

Mahomes can excel against any defense, but he is especially lethal against the blitz. The Eagles, however, are one of the best teams in the league to generate pressure without blitzing. They produced the second-highest pressure rate in the league without blitzing during the regular season.

The over/under for the game is set at 49.5. If the over hits, it would be the first time that has happened since Super Bowl LII when the Eagles were 41-33 winners of the New England Patriots.

Another sub-plot to watch: penalties. Carl Cheffers has the referee assignment, and his crews consistently call the most penalties in the NFL, having thrown more than 200 flags seven years in a row. He is the only referee whose crew can make that claim. He officiated Super Bowl LV when Kansas City lost to Tampa Bay, with 15 penalties being called (including 11 on the Chiefs). Eight penalties were called in the first half and set a Super Bowl record for most yards.

Spoiler!

https://theathletic.com/4144961/2023...ampaign=601983
[Reply]
Rasputin 06:38 AM 02-04-2023
69. That's good.
[Reply]
Straight, No Chaser 06:41 AM 02-04-2023
Pick your narrative…
[Reply]
Willie Lanier 06:59 AM 02-04-2023
Originally Posted by Straight, No Chaser:
Pick your narrative…
I'll give you my very abbreviated narrative-

The NFC is trash; the eagles will be exposed

Apologies to the Athletic writers who composed much more eloquent words
[Reply]
HC_Chief 08:21 AM 02-04-2023
Michael-Shawn Dugar is a dumbass. "Hurr Durr, tHe BuCcAnEeRs PrOvEd..."

The bucs proved one thing: it is good to play against a replacement OL. Kinda makes your life a bit easier when you suit up against scrubs, rather than NFL starters. Who'da thunk it? (not that dipshit, obviously)
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 08:22 AM 02-04-2023
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
69. That's good.
Lmao I laughed my fucken ass off
[Reply]
irafreak 08:31 AM 02-04-2023
No mention if the wide receiver injuries.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 09:07 AM 02-04-2023
So the Athletic really only has 6 experts…
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 10:49 AM 02-04-2023
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
So the Athletic really only has 6 experts…
Well, 6 who participated in this exercise anyway.
[Reply]
Dante84 11:05 AM 02-04-2023
Key worry for me in this game is Andrew Wylie. That’s the weakest link for us on the entire team.
[Reply]
HemiEd 11:09 AM 02-04-2023
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Key worry for me in this game is Andrew Wylie. That’s the weakest link for us on the entire team.
He is truly the weak link but Carl Cheffers, referee, concerns me even more.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 11:42 AM 02-04-2023
White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre on Friday may have picked a fight with Kansas City when she told reporters that the Eagles are on the road to victory on Super Bowl Sunday. “As you know, we are en route to the home of the future Super Bowl champion, Philadelphia Eagles,” Jean-Pierre told reporters on Air Force One as they flew to the City of Brotherly Love to give a speech at a water treatment plant and at the Democratic National Committee’s Winter Meeting. “As the First Lady would say, ‘Go Birds.’”

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/news/poli...#storylink=cpy
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:59 AM 02-04-2023
Originally Posted by Dante84:
And they’re going to exploit him. I also see them lining up Reddick on OBJ since he has problems with the speed rush.
[Reply]
scho63 12:02 PM 02-04-2023
The Keys to this game:

1. Chiefs injuries - who comes back healthy, partially healthy or can't play. We need EVERYONE back healthy.
2. Eagles D Line vs Chiefs O Line - who ever can win this battle will go a long way to win the game.
3. Jalen Hurts hurting - hurts has not thrown very well recently and appears more hurt than talked about but they run great and if we don't stop them, we could be in deep trouble.
4. Penalties - the scariest unknown of this game is our most hated Ref Cheffers and what this crew could do to tip the game or ruin any chance for the Chiefs to win with tons of DPI calls
5. Turnovers - Eagles have FEASTED on TOs all season and we have had our struggles before the playoffs. Need to play turnover free.
6. Our run game - can we run enough to control the game and gain enough first downs to keep our Defense rested.
7. Unsung hero arises for Chiefs - if someone who has been in the shadows rises to the occasion and has a big game, that could be a tipping point. Maybe Karlaftis with 2 sacks, multiple pressures and a strip.

This will be a game against the best team in all groups except QB, which means it may take Magic Mahmes to tip the game in our favor.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:19 PM 02-04-2023
Iirc, Cheffers has never thrown less than 10 flags against the Chiefs
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up