ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 61 of 62
« First < 11515758596061 62 >
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 12:27 PM 01-07-2023
That sounds awesome Bowser.

ETA: it is included in Audible Plus. Added to my library.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:21 PM 01-07-2023
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
That sounds awesome Bowser.

ETA: it is included in Audible Plus. Added to my library.
I'm about a third of the way through the entire series. It's.....intense. Lol. Enjoy!
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:41 AM 01-12-2023
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I'm about a third of the way through the entire series. It's.....intense. Lol. Enjoy!
Into the 2nd book of the first Season. Good stuff.

Has a bit of the same feel as Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series.
[Reply]
bowener 10:00 AM 01-12-2023
I've been making an effort to read/listen to more books this year. June to January I believe I finished 13, which looking at that is nuts to me.

By far my favorite has been Adrian Tchaikovsky. I'm stoked the third book just came out, so I will likely start on that this weekend.

My least favorite, and this is by an extremely wide margin, Cixin Liu. I hated the series. I hated most everything about it. There was some interesting moments, but overall just hated it. I have no idea what it is so loved.

Biggest surprise to me has been how much I enjoyed Mammay. I'm about 60% done with Colonyside so please no spoilers for that. I will admit that I accidentally started with Spaceside (book 2), but it might be better read in that order: 2,1,3. It made book 2 this awesome detective novel in a way, and I'm not sure it would have been as fun. However, it does spoil book 1 of course, so it may have been much more enjoyable to do it in the right order... probably.

Dune audiobook was fucking awesome.

Ringworld was silly, but I didn't love it as much as I thought I might nor as much as some friends thought I might.

Not on the list is Corey's Babylon's Ashes, but I read it before. I was on a work trip and didn't have anything to read or listen to at the airports/on the plane so I listened to it. I couldn't remember much of it from before. It's fun, like the rest of that series.

My list is:
Code:
Author Title
Michael Mammay Planetside
Spaceside
Colonyside
Larry Niven Ringworld
The Ringworld Engineers
Frank Herbert Dune
Dune Messiah
Adrian Tchaikovsky Children of Time
Children of Ruin
Cixin Liu The Three-Body Problem
The Dark Forest
Death's End
Dennis E Taylor Heaven's River

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 02:17 PM 01-12-2023
I am aggravated that there doesn't seem to be a hardback version of Children of Memory published in the US. I did just see that there is a UK version, so I ordered it.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 01:34 PM 01-22-2023
Originally Posted by :
In big news for science fiction and fantasy publishing, DAW Books is no longer an independently owned publisher. This morning, Astra Publishing House announced its acquisition of the storied SFF imprint.

In a press release, DAW co-publishers (and, until today, owners) Betsy Wollheim and Sheila Gilbert said, “We are extremely pleased by Astra’s enthusiasm, and thrilled that we will be the sole SFF imprint of their company (a first for DAW). We think this is the perfect fit for us, and it’s exciting and refreshing to be an integral part of a new and growing company. It speaks volumes about Astra’s respect for our company that they have included our entire staff. We’re very happy.”

Previously, DAW was partnered with Penguin Random House, which distributed DAW’s titles. (PRH also distributes Astra Publishing House’s books.)...

DAW Books Acquired By Astra Publishing House
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 08:48 PM 01-22-2023
So this is the literature thread that already existed that I wasn't aware of. The kind of literature that the fine folks from CP are into. Space adventures. Even you, Just Passin By? Not you too, JPB!
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:27 AM 01-24-2023
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch:
So this is the literature thread that already existed that I wasn't aware of. The kind of literature that the fine folks from CP are into. Space adventures. Even you, Just Passin By? Not you too, JPB!
Read The Expanse series and come back and talk to us about Space Adventures.

Then read Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Both are probably over your head though prose wise.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:22 PM 01-24-2023
Into the 2nd book of the first Season. Good stuff.

Has a bit of the same feel as Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series.
Made it to season 2. If you're sticking with it, I'm curious as to what you think of it, if you decide to get season 2.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:02 AM 01-29-2023
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Made it to season 2. If you're sticking with it, I'm curious as to what you think of it, if you decide to get season 2.
I finished out season 1 and will probably get into season 2 at some point, though I think I'm going to actually read season 2 instead of listening to it.

Good stuff.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 09:03 AM 01-29-2023
I'm on book 27 or 28 (of 50+): Black Library - The Horus Heresy
There are multiple series other than The Horus Heresy. It is a massive universe, with hundreds of books. Sci-fi/war

Warhammer 40k universe. Henry Cavill is developing a 40k series for Netflix... looks promising (he is a huge fan, and supposedly has full creative license). If done right, it will be amazing.

As an example see:

[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 03:20 PM 01-30-2023
I finished out season 1 and will probably get into season 2 at some point, though I think I'm going to actually read season 2 instead of listening to it.

Good stuff.
I want you to quote in this thread just one paragraph, let it be long or short as is necessary for the occasion, to show me complex prose in a sci fi novel. And "The Road" does not count. Cormac Mccarthy wasn't a sci fi writer, he just decided to dominate the industry. Ball is in your court sir!
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:50 AM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch:
I want you to quote in this thread just one paragraph, let it be long or short as is necessary for the occasion, to show me complex prose in a sci fi novel. And "The Road" does not count. Cormac Mccarthy wasn't a sci fi writer, he just decided to dominate the industry. Ball is in your court sir!
In all seriousness, if you haven't read The Expanse or Malazan Book of the Fallen, then you really can't speak to the level of prose.

Both are the equal of The Road and McCarthy's prose. Do yourself a favor and give either a shot.
[Reply]
Danguardace 09:00 AM 01-31-2023

Just finished this which is a sequel to Black Sun not as good as the first but looking forward to the final entry.
[Reply]
Bowser 03:12 PM 05-27-2023
I've never read The Silmarillion, so I figured I'd give it a shot on Audible. It's kind of difficult to follow the characters and locations and storylines due to it being so rapid fire, at least for me. Is that pretty much the way it goes if you read the book as well? It seems like there is so much thrown at the reader all at once.
[Reply]
Inspector 05-28-2023, 08:16 AM
This message has been deleted by Inspector. Reason: Messed up
Page 61 of 62
« First < 11515758596061 62 >
Up