ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 11
« First < 7891011
Nzoner's Game Room>Blowfish got Whacked
gblowfish 01:14 PM 02-04-2023
I lost my job yesterday.

Didn't really get "fired." More like laid off. They told me they couldn't afford to pay me any more, and end of February would be my last day.

I'm a free agent. If anybody here in the KC area could use a guy like me in customer service, or a work from home deal, I'm open to just about anything. I'd been with my employer for 16 years, and with my previous employer before that for 20. I've been in media manufacturing for 36 years. First time I've been unemployed since 1985. It's a little scary. Have no idea what I'll do next. But it's also kind of exciting, as I can go and do just about anything. I just hope it doesn't take a long time to get somebody to take a chance on me. If you guys have any leads for me, pm me for my cell or email to gblowfish@comcast.net. I've got a resume I can send you.

Thanks for the good mojo. I'm a little blue this weekend as you can imagine.

Mrs. B took me to dinner last night, then we saw "A Man Called Otto" with Tom Hanks. Geez...what a laugh riot. I haven't chuckled that much since I saw "Schindler's List!" I feel so much better now.
[Reply]
srvy 05:54 PM 03-08-2023
If you see someone walk in with a wolf mask on dive for cover.
[Reply]
Rausch 05:55 PM 03-08-2023
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Started my new gig at the bank HQ this week. Going pretty well, except I have to learn the names of like 200 people! Kind of like a kid who's family moves and he has to start at a new school and knows nobody. I had two people there that I knew before. But I've learned a lot. Met a lot of interesting street folks who wander in off Minnesota Ave. It's going to be an adventure, but so far so good. I hate getting up early, but getting off by 4pm rocks. I think I'm actually going to like this a lot..
State jobs and bank hours are pretty decent. I don't really like politicians or bankers but just walk the other way when you hear loud shoes...
[Reply]
Wilson8 06:00 PM 03-08-2023
It is good that things have worked out for you.

You are going to need some type of system to remember names quickly.

Are you allowed to kick ass if someone gives you the stink eye or something like that?
[Reply]
Rausch 06:05 PM 03-08-2023
Originally Posted by Wilson8:
It is good that things have worked out for you.

You are going to need some type of system to remember names quickly.

Are you allowed to kick ass if someone gives you the stink eye or something like that?
Come up with nick names. They're easier to remember and people think you care about them or notice them.

And change is good. I had no idea how much my brain had atrophied over 12 years until I had to learn something new. It was infuriating...
[Reply]
tx4chiefs 06:10 PM 03-08-2023
Good luck, hunting. Better yet, like Lone Wolf said, retire. I was afraid to retire, because I always worked and made good money. Was worried that retirement would stop me from being able to do the things I always did. Ended up retirement is the best job, EVER! I've been retired 4 years (since I was 57). Like most people say when they finally do, "I wish I'd done it sooner".
[Reply]
Rausch 06:14 PM 03-08-2023
Originally Posted by tx4chiefs:
Good luck, hunting. Better yet, like Lone Wolf said, retire. I was afraid to retire, because I always worked and made good money. Was worried that retirement would stop me from being able to do the things I always did. Ended up retirement is the best job, EVER! I've been retired 4 years (since I was 57). Like most people say when they finally do, "I wish I'd done it sooner".
No one ever laid on their deathbed thinking "Oh God, I just wish I could have worked more..."
[Reply]
jerryaldini 06:24 PM 03-08-2023
Sounds like a good gig. After a few weeks ask if you can setup a laptop on the desk facing the lobby and you can greet via zoom from your couch at least two days a week.
[Reply]
gblowfish 06:43 PM 03-08-2023
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Come up with nick names. They're easier to remember and people think you care about them or notice them.

And change is good. I had no idea how much my brain had atrophied over 12 years until I had to learn something new. It was infuriating...
For now I can just call everyone chief
[Reply]
Otter 09:28 PM 03-08-2023
That was a quick recovery. I probably would have taken a little more time to smell the roses but well done GB!
[Reply]
ptlyon 09:09 AM 03-09-2023
Originally Posted by Rausch:
No one ever laid on their deathbed thinking "Oh God, I just wish I could have worked more..."
And amazing how many of those that die within a few years after retirement
[Reply]
tmax63 10:13 AM 03-09-2023
Retired from the Army/Dept of the Army 5 years ago. Watched alot of old retired military men and women who needed a reason to get up every morning. When they thought they didn't have any more "missions", they died. Some people need a reason (job or cause) to get up every day. Not everybody can retire and relax to the "easy life".
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:38 AM 03-09-2023
Originally Posted by tmax63:
Retired from the Army/Dept of the Army 5 years ago. Watched alot of old retired military men and women who needed a reason to get up every morning. When they thought they didn't have any more "missions", they died. Some people need a reason (job or cause) to get up every day. Not everybody can retire and relax to the "easy life".
100% I may "stop my career job", but I have other passions that will certainly keep me busy.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:40 AM 03-09-2023
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
For now I can just call everyone chief
Or redskin.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 11
« First < 7891011
Up