ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>What's the most you'd spend to keep Frank Clark?
ntexascardfan 06:48 PM 02-03-2023
He isn't worth it at his current level, but I tend to believe he is a good leader for his position group and he seems to have a good relationship with and is a mentor to Karlaftis. That leadership could prove even more valuable next season if we do draft another DE, especially a speed rusher, high in the draft. He also comes alive in the playoffs and seems to love Kansas City.

If we could get him on a 3/25 type deal with 12-14 guaranteed, would you do it? If not, how much would you be willing to spend to keep him?
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 02:26 PM 02-17-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
$4 million in base, $3 million in incentives structured very similar to his 2022 incentive package.

Otherwise walk away.
on top of the dead cap. Right? So, $11-15 million, with only up to $7 million being paid out on top of the dead cap amount?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:44 PM 02-17-2023
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
on top of the dead cap. Right? So, $11-15 million, with only up to $7 million being paid out on top of the dead cap amount?
Right.

You'd start with a $13.5 million cap hit for 2023 due to the dead cap figures from last season's restructure being added to a $4 million base. Then you'd have some per-game incentives that end up LTBE so they go on this year's cap as well.

Figure a 50/50 split on LBTE/NLBTE incentives. So with another $1.5 million of that $3 million being considered LTBE, it goes immediately on this season's numbers and he ends up with a cap hit of around $15 million in 2023 with the possibility of additional 'tax' being added at the end of the season for the remaining $1.5 million.

We have no long-term liabilities and can really just go year to year with him from this point forward.

I can tolerate that.
[Reply]
raybec 4 02:47 PM 02-17-2023
Right.

You'd start with a $13.5 million cap hit for 2023 due to the dead cap figures from last season's restructure being added to a $4 million base. Then you'd have some per-game incentives that end up LTBE so they go on this year's cap as well.

Figure a 50/50 split on LBTE/NLBTE incentives. So with another $1.5 million of that $3 million being considered LTBE, it goes immediately on this season's numbers and he ends up with a cap hit of around $15 million in 2023 with the possibility of additional 'tax' being added at the end of the season for the remaining $1.5 million.

We have no long-term liabilities and can really just go year to year with him from this point forward.

I can tolerate that.
That give the Chiefs whatever small amount of regular season production they get from him and still lowers the cap hit. win/win
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:02 PM 02-17-2023
Best I can do is tree-fitty.

I kid, I kid.

I'm fine with a minimal deal to keep him around as long as we're not planning on him starting and playing majority snaps. We need a different ANSWER there. He can be the Dunlap/Ingram/Suggs vet off the bench guy.
[Reply]
spanky 52 09:28 AM 02-18-2023
Rip the band aid off and draft a DE on the second day.Use the cap space to sign a good DT in FA, somebody like Gaines of the Rams and re-sign Saunders.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:05 AM 02-18-2023
Right.

I can tolerate that.

That seems pretty reasonable and logical to me.

I’d still draft a DE early. It makes those raw bendy types with run defense questions more viable, IMO. The Will McDonalds of the world.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 07:46 PM 02-18-2023
If you bring back Clark, you only need a situational pass rusher or developmental edge in the draft which takes a lot of pressure off. That might be all you need anyway, if you let Frank Clark go and start Danna in the last year of his contract.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up