ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>OT prospects thread
RunKC 12:12 PM 01-31-2023
I think there’s a strong chance we draft one high regardless of Brown Jr. Let’s talk about some here.

This is my early pick as most likely tackle to be drafted by the Chiefs

Official Senior Bowl Measurements #TheDraftStartsInMOBILE™️ pic.twitter.com/pn6hrGGolb

— Reese's Senior Bowl (@seniorbowl) January 31, 2023

[Reply]
O.city 07:43 AM 02-06-2023
Originally Posted by mkp785:
Think this is 100% the best move.

Cheaper LT in Harrison, Paris Johnson Broderick, etc....all who could be better and all of which are younger. Doing this essentially guarantees that we bring back Jones and probably Snead as well.

Seems like a win-win as long as we trust Veech to continue making great picks along the offensive line.
It's one thing to draft G's and C's in the draft.

Hitting on a LT isn't gonna be easy with where we are. I know I know "it happens".

I just don't see them moving off a 27 year old LT that they seem pretty happy with.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 09:27 AM 02-06-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I understand it's a risk, but I REALLY have a strong preference for tagging and trading Brown and drafting a LT.

A cost controlled LT for 5 years would REALLY set us up cap-wise for a multi-year run.

I know it's a risk, but damnit, the pay-off would be huge.
I hear you, but we are in great cap shape this year and it only gets better each year. I wonder if there isn't a structure for OBJ that enables the chiefs to trade him with minimal cap impact while also getting him a comfortable deal. I am no cap wizard, but it would be cool if so.
[Reply]
mkp785 10:23 AM 02-06-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
It's one thing to draft G's and C's in the draft.

Hitting on a LT isn't gonna be easy with where we are. I know I know "it happens".

I just don't see them moving off a 27 year old LT that they seem pretty happy with.
Well no. I'm not expecting us to stay here if we trade OBJ. I'd imagine that we take our xt picks and move up. Similar to what we did last year.

If we get, let's say a 2nd for Orlando then we take that, our own 2nd this year and another 2 next year....that should get us a decently high draft spot. Not high enough for Skoranski as he'll probably go top 10 but foe the other guys? Seems feasible.

Get to around 15 and you have your pick of guys.
[Reply]
Palangi 10:27 AM 02-06-2023
I would trade brown to Pittsburgh who has multiple second round picks. Brown would fit their scheme as well. I believe Niang will be looked at as one of the starters for next year. So using our first rounder or the Pittsburgh pick which is in the 40’s for the other tackle.
[Reply]
Palangi 10:36 AM 02-06-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I don't even know if I trust Niang to stay healthy. That's kind of the problem there. If he was the LT and the Chiefs drafted someone to play behind him with the intent of taking over next year, then maybe. Now you're using two early picks on the tackle spots in all likelihood.

I don't view Kinnard as a starting-caliber RT. I think he's a Guard with the ability to step in at RT in an emergency. Basically, he's Andrew Wylie to me. He's not the guy you want playing RT for a full season. So yes, you'd have to be drafting a guy like Wright in the 1st to start.

In terms of the practice pictures, yeah you have to have somebody ready to go. If OBj were to go down, Niang is the only guy we have that's even capable of playing LT if we're intent on keeping Thuney inside (which is an absolute this game against those DTs). If there were a situation where Niang had to play LT then you have to have a guy ready to play RT if Wylie were to go down too. I suppose the next guy up is Kinnard. It means little else to me, honestly.
I agree with you on Niang. I think he has potential to play LT or RT at a high level. But his injury history makes it hard to trust his availability. Maybe (fingers crossed) he is past it and we can have him be a starter moving forward.

I disagree on Kinnard. He was awarded the top lineman in the SEC his senior year. And was a multiple year starter on very good lines. I think there is potential there. This year was about reworking his body and getting technique right. He over powered people in college but wasn’t going to just do that at this level. I believe they are getting him right to take the RT job.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up