ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>224.8 million cap
tmax63 07:40 AM 01-31-2023
Haven't seen any mention of the cap announcement yet so here's a PSA.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:01 AM 01-31-2023
That puts the Chiefs $15m under.

Cutting Clark nets you $21m.

If you extend Jones, you can probably halve his cap hit, netting you $14m.

That right there is $50m.

If you tag Brown, that's $20m. If you extend him, it's probably the same cap hit.

And giving Veach essentially $30m is like giving any other GM twice that much.

The Chiefs can do anything they want this offseason. He can bring back JuJu and/or Hardman or neither and just go get guys. He can extend Sneed. He can extend Gay.

He can anything he wants.

And they have 11 draft picks, and maybe 12 if somehow that Fenton 7th rounder qualifies (which it won't).
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 02:42 PM 01-31-2023
You can also save $14m by letting MVS walk, and you could always ask Pat to adjust his contract. Plenty of options.
[Reply]
Direckshun 02:50 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
You can also save $14m by letting MVS walk, and you could always ask Pat to adjust his contract. Plenty of options.
MVS's cap hit next year is $11m. You'd save $7m, not $14m, in cutting him. You'd also incur $4m in dead money.

Ideally, I think you keep him on another year. Following next season, his cap hit is $14m, and you'd save $12m in cutting him.

Mahomes would probably restructure if you asked him to. But I think you just take the cap hit and be happy with it.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 02:53 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
MVS's cap hit next year is $11m. You'd save $7m, not $14m, in cutting him. You'd also incur $4m in dead money.

Ideally, I think you keep him on another year. Following next season, his cap hit is $14m, and you'd save $12m in cutting him.

Mahomes would probably restructure if you asked him to. But I think you just take the cap hit and be happy with it.
Thank you for correcting me.
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:57 PM 01-31-2023
After this last game, MVS is staying next year. That showed you what his ceiling could be. Not that I think he'll reach that every game but he gives you that possibility.

I just don't see Juju coming back. We may be able to get Hardman cheap because of the injury but he's already been sort of replaced with Toney.
[Reply]
Direckshun 03:51 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
After this last game, MVS is staying next year. That showed you what his ceiling could be. Not that I think he'll reach that every game but he gives you that possibility.

I just don't see Juju coming back. We may be able to get Hardman cheap because of the injury but he's already been sort of replaced with Toney.
That's fair, and Toney has taken some of the pie from Hardman.

But Hardman can run Wasp. Those are the routes you need to take the top off the defense in an Andy Reid offense.

MVS has that, but Hardman gives you a little depth for both MVS and Toney's role.
[Reply]
raybec 4 04:03 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
Unless there's a specific big money signing they're targeting I hope they don't kick more of the Mahomes money down the road. They really should just keep paying him while they can afford to. He'll be needing a new extension in a couple of seasons when he completely outperforms all the turds who are making more than he is.
[Reply]
Direckshun 04:05 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Unless there's a specific big money signing they're targeting I hope they don't kick more of the Mahomes money down the road. They really should just keep paying him while they can afford to. He'll be needing a new extension in a couple of seasons when he completely outperforms all the turds who are making more than he is.
I think it's 2027 where his cap hit is like $59m. I imagine that's the year they sit and and re-negotiate.

Edit: I do agree that you just sit on Mahomes' cap number this year unless there is an absolute gem of an acquisition to snag.
[Reply]
tmax63 04:11 PM 01-31-2023
I think some of it depends on Sunday after next. If they win it's titties and beer, all roses. If a part of the team gets exposed and BV has to do another patented rebuild of a position group then all bets are off.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:56 PM 02-14-2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BxuJiLT_6Y

Chiefs report suggesting a restructure of Mahomes contract could save us up to $18m this year against the cap.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 08:53 PM 02-14-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:

I'm completely fine with MVS being our Frank Clark of the offense as long as he steps up in the post-season.
[Reply]
Up