View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 47 of 343
« First < 374344454647 484950515797147 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
O.city 09:22 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
Cool. Then he gets to prove if he deserve the deal he wants. If he plays like a premier LT, then pay him like one. If not, then the chiefs saved themselves from making a big mistake.
He plays like a premier player, you are gonna have to really blow him out to get a deal done.

Even then, he may say "nah fuck you I told you waht I could do, tag and trade me".
[Reply]
O.city 09:23 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Shit, even when you have your pick of elite guys, it is difficult to find a LT who is even as good as Brown is right now.

Mekhi Becton, Andrew Thomas, Sewell... not to mention the ****ing Wilson kid the Titans blew a 1st-round pick on around the Chiefs' normal draft slot.

Acquiring a good LT is expensive, and is not a guarantee to get it right even when you do have the right draft capital.

Considering that CAM ****ING ROBINSON just got $18M AAV on the open market, the odds of being able to sign a guy as good as Brown to LESS than what Brown is asking for are miniscule.

COULD it work out to pinch pennies on Brown and decide not to pay him like one of the top guys at his position? Yes, it could. But there also is a HUGE amount of risk involved there...

Much more risk than trying to find elite pass catchers (which are located in random places all the time and can be SCHEMED into extreme effectiveness).
The age is a huge factor here as well. He'll be 26, next year. Into the first year of a new contract etc.

More than likely, the guy you draft is gonna come into the league 22/23/24 ish.

Brown is just now coming into his age brackets where you expect him to peak.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:24 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
He plays like a premier player, you are gonna have to really blow him out to get a deal done.

Even then, he may say "nah **** you I told you waht I could do, tag and trade me".
Exactly.

That approach injects MORE cost into his deal (because you don't have the cost-controlled franchise year to work with) and inserts the risk of poisoning the negotiating waters, to boot.

See: Houston, Justin.
[Reply]
O.city 09:25 AM 06-17-2022
LT to me, is just a spot where if the guy you have meets a certain threshold as a player, you pay him and don't worry about it. If you have to over pay a bit, fine. It's not ideal, but having that spot locked up is worth it, again, to me.

Now if you have to WAY overpay, we get into different territory where all options are on the table.
[Reply]
TEX 09:26 AM 06-17-2022
LT to me, is just a spot where if the guy you have meets a certain threshold as a player, you pay him and don't worry about it. If you have to over pay a bit, fine. It's not ideal, but having that spot locked up is worth it, again, to me.

Now if you have to WAY overpay, we get into different territory where all options are on the table.
Good way to look at it. Do u think if OBJr is the highest paid LT, that he is going to be way overpaid?
[Reply]
O.city 09:27 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Exactly.

That approach injects MORE cost into his deal (because you don't have the cost-controlled franchise year to work with) and inserts the risk of poisoning the negotiating waters, to boot.

See: Houston, Justin.
If you hope to get any value in a deal, you probably have to do it this year. If you wait, and he plays well and you have to do it next year, it's gonna be the tippy top of the mountain and you're gonna just hope he plays to that level.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:27 AM 06-17-2022
Either way it’s vastly expensive. It’s expensive to pay him. It’s also expensive to use the draft capital on trading up high to get a new one.

With Tyreek gone and Chris Jones/Frank Clark exiting soon, money will free up. We don’t have to pay some of our best young players for a few years.

I’d much rather pay him a backloaded contract and keep the draft capital bc the draft is always more valuable than money. In FA you’re just spending insane money on guys who are probably good but not great anyway.

The problem the Chiefs had was Frank Clark. But it was literally all in the contract structure. We can’t get rid of him with a clean cut right now bc of the structure.

I’m fine giving Brown Jr his money as long as we have an out (if needed) that will not hamper the future of the team.
[Reply]
O.city 09:28 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by TEX:
Good way to look at it. Do u think if OBJr is the highest paid LT, that he is going to be way overpaid?
Well I don't think it will take that to get it done. Could be way off here, but I'd imagine anything above what Ronnie Stanley got probably gets this done.

He may well be the best LT in the game by his 28 season, who knows.
[Reply]
O.city 09:30 AM 06-17-2022
Every one just says "don't pay the guy, just draft someone they're cheap"

Well, no shit. But that's easier said than done.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:31 AM 06-17-2022
If you hope to get any value in a deal, you probably have to do it this year. If you wait, and he plays well and you have to do it next year, it's gonna be the tippy top of the mountain and you're gonna just hope he plays to that level.
JMO but seeing the rumors of Nick Bosa I think these guys at other positions are going to want money similar to Adams/Tyreek bc they play more valuable positions.

All it took was the Jaguars being stupid to raise the contract money for WR’s. I think these other players are coming for it next Spring.

Best to get Brown Jr done now
[Reply]
O.city 09:33 AM 06-17-2022
I'd trade 3 first and give Nick Bosa the highest paid defensive player contract in history right now. He's so good.
[Reply]
TEX 09:34 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Armstead, & Bakhtiari cone to mind
Yep. Homework was done on both I'm sure.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 09:56 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
Cool. Then he gets to prove if he deserve the deal he wants. If he plays like a premier LT, then pay him like one. If not, then the chiefs saved themselves from making a big mistake.
I mean... I'm with you. I personally would slow play it, not get a deal done by July 15, say "my hands are tied," and make him play on the tag. If he absolutely kicks ass all year, then great - make him the highest paid. It won't be that much more than you're paying this year, but you'll have bought a year of information. If he sucks or is mediocre, you know that you need to upgrade, however that happens.

If he balls out and demands a tag and trade, then terrific, his value is sky high and you can use that capital to move up in the draft for a legit LT on a rookie deal.

I fail to see where biding your time hurts you, unless you are looking to clear space for another big move this year, and his tag number prevents that.
[Reply]
-King- 10:11 AM 06-17-2022

Even then, he may say "nah fuck you I told you waht I could do, tag and trade me".
And what if he doesn't play like one?

And if the worst case scenario is that we have to trade him and get two first round picks back then I'll take the risk.
[Reply]
O.city 10:36 AM 06-17-2022
Well, he's not gonna play on the tag. Unless we wanna deal with that whole situation.
[Reply]
Page 47 of 343
« First < 374344454647 484950515797147 > Last »
Up