A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
scho63 09:22 PM 02-25-2020
My Apple CALL options are rotting on the coronavirus tree
[Reply]
lewdog 09:28 PM 02-25-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:
My Apple CALL options are rotting on the coronavirus tree
Buehler should have given you advice like he is me.

Never buy call options he says.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:35 PM 02-25-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:

I've never bought options on stock. But I've bought a TON on commodities. If you're hitting at 80% you need to operate in contracts.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:49 PM 02-25-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:

In theory, anyone who doesn't have an economic need for options shouldn't bother with them.

But if you've got a few hundred bucks laying around there are worse outlets for your money that don't provide for nearly the same upside a well timed & placed call option contract.

It's just not very likely without sizing up inordinately to capitalize on a small spike in the underlying or being super duper right about a how big or how close a spike will be.
[Reply]
Strongside 09:52 PM 02-25-2020
Just getting dragged out here the past few days. The money I have in the market is disposable, so I’m not sick if I drop too much. Actually even bought a few aggressive dips today. I know that if I hold these discounts I’ll eventually see returns, but this thing just keeps looking more and more grim as we go here. Those returns may take a while. That’s assuming I don’t become a 70 year old chain smoker and die from the “slightly more inconvenient common cold” that is the coronavirus.
[Reply]
Iczer 09:26 AM 02-26-2020
401k dumb question of the day. I'm 34 and have my 401k 100% into a target date fund. Should I transfer this into large cap since I'm young and have time to ride it out?
[Reply]
DaFace 09:31 AM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Iczer:
401k dumb question of the day. I'm 34 and have my 401k 100% into a target date fund. Should I transfer this into large cap since I'm young and have time to ride it out?
The whole idea of target date funds is that you don't have to touch them. You can consider making moves to have more control if you want, but I wouldn't do it in reaction to a short term downturn.
[Reply]
Iczer 09:43 AM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The whole idea of target date funds is that you don't have to touch them. You can consider making moves to have more control if you want, but I wouldn't do it in reaction to a short term downturn.
I'm not really reacting to the downturn, just thinking more long term. It seems that i'd stand to gain more in large cap over the years compared to target date. However now that I'm reading more, target dates are a bit more steady in big downturns.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:14 AM 02-26-2020
I'm not really reacting to the downturn, just thinking more long term. It seems that i'd stand to gain more in large cap over the years compared to target date. However now that I'm reading more, target dates are a bit more steady in big downturns.
Target date funds are diversified for you, so they'll naturally be more stable than going fully into stocks. That said, they can also be more conservative than some people need, so there are reasons not to use them. It's probably worth digging into the allocation of yours and comparing that to how aggressive you want to be.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:33 AM 02-26-2020
Target date funds are going to be more aggressive if you're younger, and that's the key more than being in any particular size or sector. Maybe a large cap will do better or maybe it won't, but at your age you should be investing in aggressive vehicles, and a target date fund will do that for you.

My personal opinion is that target date funds will get too conservative as you get older (age 55+), but that's really a factor of the amount you have saved. If you think you're not able to weather a downturn, then stay in the target date fund. But I think something that gets overlooked is that a person who is 60 still has 25 years of investing ahead of him. If you go too conservative at age 60, then it'll hurt you when you're in your 80s.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:35 AM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Drugmaker Moderna has shipped its first batch of a possible coronavirus vaccine for humans to government researchers for testing.

Shares of the biotech company soared early Tuesday, a day after the company said it sent vials to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases for early-stage testing in the United States.

More than 80,000 people have been infected globally from the viral outbreak that began late last year in China. A total of 35 cases have been reported in the United States.

More than 2,600 people have died from the virus in mainland China, including one U.S. citizen.

Shares of Cambridge, Massachusetts-based Moderna Inc. jumped nearly 16%, or $2.92, to $21.51 in premarket trading.

The stock started trading in late 2018 and set an all-time high price of $29.79 last April, according to FactSet.

See this post? This post right here? I put $5,000 in this company yesterday just because of this post, and I'm up $1,031.15 right now. I owe Hog's Gone Fishing a beer if it stays up like that.
[Reply]
BigRichard 02:03 PM 02-26-2020
Has 3M been mentioned in here? Seems like maybe it is ready for a rebound possibly?
[Reply]
lewdog 08:34 PM 02-26-2020
I check my credit history and credit score once a year.

Ringing in at 805. First time cracking 800 on my credit score.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 09:23 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
See this post? This post right here? I put $5,000 in this company yesterday just because of this post, and I'm up $1,031.15 right now. I owe Hog's Gone Fishing a beer if it stays up like that.
Awesome! I'm on a beer break though. We can go fishin on your new boat soon????
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:28 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Awesome! I'm on a beer break though. We can go fishin on your new boat soon????
Perfect. And now that lewdog's credit score is above 800 he's eligible to go fishing with us, too.
[Reply]
Page 234 of 934
« First < 134184224230231232233234 235236237238244284334734 > Last »
Up