[Reply]
BlackOp 11:22 AM 09-02-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Oh, i wouldn't say that.

I said buy...not eat.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:33 AM 09-02-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Having watched the first two episodes, the diversity is unsurprisingly a complete non-issue.

I have concerns though. The pacing of this show so far is a problem so far (virtually nothing has happened through 2 episodes except for Galadrial making a choice and the appearance of "The Stranger" and the season is only running 8 episodes). Everything also seems quite impersonal. I'm finding it to be a bit of a struggle to care about any of these characters or what is going on at all and that's a major issue.

Now they're obviously building something here that is massive in scope in terms of world building so it's going to take time to develop characters and storylines (and it appears they are going to get that time with S2 on the way), but it's very difficult for me to see this ever being compared favorably to the LOTR movies (effectively masterpieces in their genre).
If it isn't an issue for you going into it, I don't see how watching the show is going to change that.

For people like myself, the diversity itself isn't the issue, it's just one of many red flags that the showrunners are more concerned with shit like that than actually making a great show within, and loyal to, the Tolkien universe.

It's like you don't seem to understand how that goes hand in hand. For example, an all female cast for Ghosbusters itself wasn't the issue, it was just a warning sign that the movie was going to be a turd sandwich. It's not a coincidence that it turned out to be just that.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:15 PM 09-02-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
If it isn't an issue for you going into it, I don't see how watching the show is going to change that.
That's nonsense of course. It wasn't an issue for me going into ST: Discovery either until it started smacking me in the face with how woke it was every episode to the point that it would actively take you out of the actual story (among many other issues that show has).

The issues with this LOTR show so far have absolutely nothing to do with diversity or wokeness or anything of the like. It has to do with the fact that the show is dead slow in terms of plotting, lacks anything particularly interesting going on so far, and no real reason to be invested in the characters. These things could all change with time (or not) and won't be impacted by how many black or female actors they have playing the characters.

I also never watched that Ghostbusters because I figured it would be a turd sandwich just by looking it.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 12:17 PM 09-02-2022
Having watched the first two episodes, the diversity is unsurprisingly a complete non-issue.
:-)
[Reply]
staylor26 12:25 PM 09-02-2022
That's nonsense of course. It wasn't an issue for me going into ST: Discovery either until it started smacking me in the face with how woke it was every episode to the point that it would actively take you out of the actual story (among many other issues that show has).

The issues with this LOTR show so far have absolutely nothing to do with diversity or wokeness or anything of the like. It has to do with the fact that the show is dead slow in terms of plotting, lacks anything particularly interesting going on so far, and no real reason to be invested in the characters. These things could all change with time (or not) and won't be impacted by how many black or female actors they have playing the characters.

I also never watched that Ghostbusters because I figured it would be a turd sandwich just by looking it.
It sounds like your issue with ST: Discovery had nothing to do with diversity, but the politics being shoved into the plot was an issue. Those are two different things.

My point was that you either have an issue with diversity and race/gender swapping, or you don't.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 02:51 PM 09-02-2022
A show about an adventure of unambiguous good vs. Evil (like the original LOTR) just doesn't sound like a made for TV story.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 03:03 PM 09-02-2022
Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable - Banksy
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 04:41 PM 09-02-2022
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable - Banksy
Citing a vandal.

Hilarious.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 04:52 PM 09-02-2022
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
A show about an adventure of unambiguous good vs. Evil (like the original LOTR) just doesn't sound like a made for TV story.
You missed the speech last night?
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 06:47 PM 09-02-2022
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
Citing a vandal.

Hilarious.
Thanks! I would have said moderately amusing, but I appreciate your enthusiasm.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 08:16 PM 09-02-2022
It sounds like your issue with ST: Discovery had nothing to do with diversity, but the politics being shoved into the plot was an issue. Those are two different things.

My point was that you either have an issue with diversity and race/gender swapping, or you don't.
Are you being intentionally obtuse sir?
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 11:38 PM 09-02-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Ya know...i've come to conclusion that i just don't like midgets. I just don't.

I never liked Hobbits. Hobbit scenes always bored the shit out of me. Disgusting hobbitses.

Never cared for the 7 dwarves in Snow White.

Tyrion in Game of Thrones? Took me a looooong time to use to him.

And i can't stand stubby, pudgy little fingers. They're ****ing gross. If a chick has stubby fingers im ooooout.

I blame Willow. I ****ing hated Willow as a child and i think my early childhood Willow hate has persisted into adulthood.

Sorry midgets, Hobbits and Dwarves, it's all Willow's fault.

[Reply]
listopencil 09:02 AM 09-03-2022

For people like myself, the diversity itself isn't the issue, it's just one of many red flags that the showrunners are more concerned with shit like that than actually making a great show within, and loyal to, the Tolkien universe.

It's like you don't seem to understand how that goes hand in hand. For example, an all female cast for Ghosbusters itself wasn't the issue, it was just a warning sign that the movie was going to be a turd sandwich. It's not a coincidence that it turned out to be just that.

For me the issue is that showing genetic diversity in this setting is stupid. A good fantasy (or sci-fi) story tries to nail the hail out of every detail that could be deemed 'realistic.' When you see the normal characters fighting and dying while wielding period correct weapons then it makes the dragon more believable. When the spacecraft functions on reasonable sounding and relatable principles then the aliens flying them are more fearsome. So when a profoundly secluded and insular group of humanoids lives in a remote valley you don't expect them to look like lunch time at the United Nations cafeteria. It looks and feels out of place because it's out of place.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 01:53 PM 09-03-2022
Originally Posted by listopencil:
For me the issue is that showing genetic diversity in this setting is stupid. A good fantasy (or sci-fi) story tries to nail the hail out of every detail that could be deemed 'realistic.' When you see the normal characters fighting and dying while wielding period correct weapons then it makes the dragon more believable. When the spacecraft functions on reasonable sounding and relatable principles then the aliens flying them are more fearsome. So when a profoundly secluded and insular group of humanoids lives in a remote valley you don't expect them to look like lunch time at the United Nations cafeteria. It looks and feels out of place because it's out of place.

Yes
[Reply]
BlackOp 06:00 PM 09-03-2022
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I watched about 20 minutes so far...The female lead warrior turning into some anime martial arts action sequence to slay a beast was...."special". Holy shit was that ridiculous...talk about immediately killing any suspension of disbelief.

Who came up with that idea...Homer Simpson?

And as you said...the mixed ethnicity of a rural tribe makes it feel like a made for TV series. I feel like I'm watching actors in costumes...performing a skit. The dialogue is already syrupy...

If it weren't based on Tolkien ...it would just be another fantasy show with a deliberate social engineering agenda mixed in. It's going to judged to a higher standard...especially considering the budget.

It wont be a classic extension or remembered...a one watch then forget series. Looks nice...it'll be something I'll watch when I get around to it. It wont be like knowing it's Sunday and waiting for the original GOT to air...
[Reply]
Page 20 of 44
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Up