ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3852 of 3903
« First < 2852335237523802384238483849385038513852 385338543855385638623902 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
loochy 09:18 AM 01-02-2022
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan:
The good news is that you could eat major asshole and not taste or smell it :-)
The taste or smell aspect of eating asshole is not the worst detriment to me. I don't want to catch a nasty GI bug from the bacteria.
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 09:19 AM 01-02-2022
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Loss of smell and taste would take getting used to but is manageable.

Would much rather get that than the disease transferred by ticks that makes you allergic to red meat.
Agreed!
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 09:25 AM 01-02-2022
It's been about two months and I'd say that I have about 80% of my taste and smell back. I kind of wish that I could permanently lose my sense of smell. I get headaches from odors all the time. Scented candles, scented cleaning agents etc. often give me such a bad headache that I feel nauseous. They didn't bother me at all when I couldn't smell and it was wonderful. I didn't even care that I couldn't smell fresh bread, steaks etc. because my quality of life was better. The whole not being able to smell smoke was worrisome however.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 09:28 AM 01-02-2022
Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard:
We go back to school Monday and I pray we make it through this semester without mandated masks and or online school. I teach high school and community college welding and it’s been a struggle but the kids are amazing and resilient. Much more so than us old dog teachers. I was always forgetting my mask yet, our school of 2000 plus, seldom had kids who were not wearing them.

Please lord let us make it through the semester!
Good luck. Hopefully you'll somehow avoid covid
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:47 AM 01-02-2022
Originally Posted by Swanman:
People can start by believing actual data and not bullshit spewed on social media. Sorry for your friend, the needless suffering is soulcrushing.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

The people responsible for reporting data and interpreting it for the masses have spent years building bad will with people by lying or being deceitful about nearly everything they write and say. A lot of this is absolutely on them. They put clickbait and politics before news and reporting for years and helped create an emotional and reactive public not encouraged to think. It’s really not surprising that people decided they would continue being distrustful of them because they’ve already spent years being this way.

The people then don’t care about reality or facts about vaccines and instead seek out whoever is providing information that is different from what those others are saying and convince themselves it’s the actual truth. They convince themselves they are seeking and finding the actual truth when they find someone who says don’t take the vaccine, but it’s simpler than that. They are actually only seeking something different from what their “enemies” are saying, regardless of what it is. They don’t realize at all what’s actually going on in their minds. It then becomes a source of pride for them to say they don’t believe those people pushing vaccines and found the “real truth.” And far too many opposing outlets and people are willing to indulge these desires and provide different information for their own benefit. This process is true of basically any other topic as well.
[Reply]
Swanman 03:28 PM 01-02-2022
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
The people responsible for reporting data and interpreting it for the masses have spent years building bad will with people by lying or being deceitful about nearly everything they write and say. A lot of this is absolutely on them. They put clickbait and politics before news and reporting for years and helped create an emotional and reactive public not encouraged to think. It’s really not surprising that people decided they would continue being distrustful of them because they’ve already spent years being this way.

The people then don’t care about reality or facts about vaccines and instead seek out whoever is providing information that is different from what those others are saying and convince themselves it’s the actual truth. They convince themselves they are seeking and finding the actual truth when they find someone who says don’t take the vaccine, but it’s simpler than that. They are actually only seeking something different from what their “enemies” are saying, regardless of what it is. They don’t realize at all what’s actually going on in their minds. It then becomes a source of pride for them to say they don’t believe those people pushing vaccines and found the “real truth.” And far too many opposing outlets and people are willing to indulge these desires and provide different information for their own benefit. This process is true of basically any other topic as well.
The term for it is "performative contrarianism". If someone you don't like says fire is hot, you have to go find a chiropractor on Facebook that has a thousand videos about how fire isn't hot. The unwillingness to agree on even basic facts becomes a complete identity.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:03 PM 01-02-2022

I would agree with this. I feel like there's no such thing as news reporting any more from the mainstream media. It's all editorial opinions disguised as news or it's clickbait.
[Reply]
ghak99 06:19 PM 01-02-2022
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
My daughter fell behind last year during Covid. She started 3rd grade at a 2nd grade level. Teachers said it could’ve been due to being at home so much when schools were shut down.

We sent her to a tutoring academy. She spent the entire semester two days a week tutoring. She caught up just fine but we spent $1500 for the school. Makes me wonder how many other kids fell behind but couldn’t afford to do what we did.
Society will be paying this debt for decades.

Our little village did its best to keep my sister's kids firing on all cylinders. A good chunk of their peers in the mid and lower socioeconomic groups are in a mess though. Before break the amount of school suspensions were climbing higher than they've ever been. It's hard to even think about all the kids who rely on school for a decent meal and a safe space away from whatever is preying on them.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 06:37 PM 01-02-2022
Got a COVID test this morning and tested negative but I've been sick as shit for the past 4 days. Chest congestion, cough, fever. A lot of the similar signs. I went ahead and bought one of those blood oxygen monitors you put on your finger just in case.
[Reply]
carlos3652 06:41 PM 01-02-2022
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
Got a COVID test this morning and tested negative but I've been sick as shit for the past 4 days. Chest congestion, cough, fever. A lot of the similar signs. I went ahead and bought one of those blood oxygen monitors you put on your finger just in case.
Isolate like you are positive, it won’t test positive until day 5-7.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:50 PM 01-02-2022
Originally Posted by carlos3652:

Depends on strand. Omicron usually has a 3-3.5 day incubation period, apparently.

We’re sending the kids back to school on Tuesday. Don’t expect it to last very long before they’re sent home.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 06:55 PM 01-02-2022
Originally Posted by carlos3652:
I haven't left the house for like a week. My sister tested positive the day after Christmas and I was around her the whole week before. Whole family has been tested and everyone is negative.

Got groceries delivered for the first time ever. Watched a bunch of movies, played video games and currently pretending there were no NFL games today.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 06:58 PM 01-02-2022

That's certainly true. In this case, though, it's not difficult at all to understand what the corpus of data is clearly telling us. Hell, if you aren't smart enough to understand that, ask your doctor.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:13 AM 01-03-2022
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
My son had all those things. Tested negative for COVID. Dr said the flu is going gang busters right now and it was likely that.

ETA: he never lost taste/smell.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:17 AM 01-03-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I would agree with this. I feel like there's no such thing as news reporting any more from the mainstream media. It's all editorial opinions disguised as news or it's clickbait.
Also, far too many people only read the headline and/or the first paragraph. Often to read the actually important bits, you have to read all the way to the last paragraph where they give all the caveats and context.
[Reply]
Page 3852 of 3903
« First < 2852335237523802384238483849385038513852 385338543855385638623902 > Last »
Up