ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3742 of 3903
« First < 2742324236423692373237383739374037413742 3743374437453746375237923842 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Nirvana58 08:23 AM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Most, if not all, the immunity studies I've seen on people who recovered from COVID show they likely have long term, if not lifetime, immunity. At least one did bone marrow samples to check for immunity cells there and found them.

Even people who only had mild cases. Asymptomatic cases are still under study last I looked, though I saw at least one that was pointing to them also having at least some natural immunity.

Not a case for skipping the shot. Studies have also shown that getting the shot after recovering from COVID provides better protection than just having had the vaccination alone or natural immunity alone.
New studies are showing that people with prior covid infection are actually more protected from Delta than the vaccinated.

Why would someone need to take a shot with no long term studies and risk adverse reaction when they are already better protected than the vaccinated? Unless they are in high risk category it makes no sense.

For that reason alone it makes these mandates ridiculous.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:29 AM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by Nirvana58:
New studies are showing that people with prior covid infection are actually more protected from Delta than the vaccinated.

Why would someone need to take a shot with no long term studies and risk adverse reaction when they are already better protected than the vaccinated? Unless they are in high risk category it makes no sense.

For that reason alone it makes these mandates ridiculous.
I'm not completely opposed to an antibody test being allowed in lieu of a vaccine. The issue I have with it is that there are tons of people claim they had COVID because they had the sniffles a year ago, and that's not anywhere near enough confirmation for me.
[Reply]
O.city 09:33 AM 09-22-2021
Natural immunity is going to wane as well. Just depends on the antigenic drift of the pathogen
[Reply]
DaFace 09:43 AM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Natural immunity is going to wane as well. Just depends on the antigenic drift of the pathogen
Sure, but so is vaccine immunity. If my J&J vaccine at 70% (or whatever) effectiveness is good enough, I'm generally comfortable with antibody-proven natural immunity being allowed as well for now at least. If we get better data about waning immunity, that opinion would change.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:47 AM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Sure, but so is vaccine immunity. If my J&J vaccine at 70% (or whatever) effectiveness is good enough, I'm generally comfortable with antibody-proven natural immunity being allowed as well for now at least. If we get better data about waning immunity, that opinion would change.
Yeah we have had in this very thread multiple people state they got covid twice and I think all them had a PCR test done both times.

Talking to my uncle yesterday that lives in Vegas and is 83, he got his 2nd shot Moderna back in February and ended up in the hospital a couple of weeks ago with Covid. He said he wasn't to bad off but he was there for a few days. For people his age they are going to need a booster for sure.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:04 AM 09-22-2021
I'm not completely opposed to an antibody test being allowed in lieu of a vaccine. The issue I have with it is that there are tons of people claim they had COVID because they had the sniffles a year ago, and that's not anywhere near enough confirmation for me.
Antibody test should be the standard. Via prior infection or vaccination.
[Reply]
Monticore 10:07 AM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Antibody test should be the standard. Via prior infection or vaccination.

Depends on the timeframe, and they tend to have a lot of false positives, well they did at first anyways.
[Reply]
64 Chief 10:24 AM 09-22-2021
I was inoculated, had serious side effects and still caught covid. 24 hours after the jab I was at a restaurant and saw the room spinning at high speed and my heartbeat became irregular. Held on to the table to prevent falling off the chair until my wife grabbed me and led me to a couch. After 30 minutes she helped me to the car and she dove us home. Here is my overriding concern. There is no way to discern which conflicting covid information is reliable and which is agenda driven. Should you believe politicians, bureaucrats, doctors, hospitals, media, drug companies and others who may have and ax to grind which overrides concerns about our health? We all should be prudently skeptical. My college aged son asked me last night if he should be vaccinated. I told him it was his call and discussed my experience, thoughts and that I would not recommend it.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:32 AM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by 64 Chief:
I was inoculated, had serious side effects and still caught covid. 24 hours after the jab I was at a restaurant and saw the room spinning at high speed and my heartbeat became irregular. Held on to the table to prevent falling off the chair until my wife grabbed me and led me to a couch. After 30 minutes she helped me to the car and she dove us home. Here is my overriding concern. There is no way to discern which conflicting covid information is reliable and which is agenda driven. Should you believe politicians, bureaucrats, doctors, hospitals, media, drug companies and others who may have and ax to grind which overrides concerns about our health? We all should be prudently skeptical. My college aged son asked me last night if he should be vaccinated. I told him it was his call and discussed my experience, thoughts and that I would not recommend it.
From the beginning, my biggest source of confusion about all of this is that people don't seem to think that the CDC is a reliable source. I don't really know what they've done that makes people skeptical.

Media? Politicians? Sure. I get the skepticism. But we have an agency whose entire mission is to synthesize research and coordinate responses to diseases. If you are confused about what's real and what isn't, they have tons of information to help walk you through it.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:43 AM 09-22-2021
Antibodies wane pretty quickly. But memory cells remember how to crank them out again when needed. There's no good test for memory cells afaik.

Which is why it's very hard to make policy based on whether or not someone was sick with covid. It works on a personal level - if you know you had it and know your were sick. But it falls down hard on a policy level - since so many people will think they had it but didn't, and how do you define "sick"?
[Reply]
Fish 10:46 AM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by 64 Chief:
Stick with information from the experts who've dedicated decades of their lives to studying these types of things. Politicians, bureaucrats, media, etc have no experience in this area and are well known for struggles with truth. Don't fall down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:47 AM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Antibodies wane pretty quickly. But memory cells remember how to crank them out again when needed. There's no good test for memory cells afaik.

Which is why it's very hard to make policy based on whether or not someone was sick with covid. It works on a personal level - if you know you had it and know your were sick. But it falls down hard on a policy level - since so many people will think they had it but didn't, and how do you define "sick"?
No easy tests for the memory cells as I think they are in the bone marrow.

However, making it standard that anyone who has been vaccinated or recovered from COVID gets an antibody test X number of days after test/vaccine would take care of that.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:51 AM 09-22-2021

I wrote about the HermanCainAward subreddit https://t.co/iAlgzn1C35

— Lili Loofbourow (@Millicentsomer) September 21, 2021

Good article
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 11:21 AM 09-22-2021
I sent this PSA to a buddy that is on the fence about getting vaccinated.

@FamilyGuyonFOX: Watch the new #FamilyGuy Short! Stewie and Brian travel inside Peter’s body to explain how vaccines work.

Have questions about the COVID-19 vaccines? Visit http://www.GetVaccineAnswers.org for the most accurate and timely facts so we can all get back to the moments we love and miss most. https://twitter.com/FamilyGuyonFOX/s...251136/video/1
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:22 AM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:

Good article

Very interesting.

I feel like the world is a lot like the Internet these days, where people pick an opinion and then defend it to the death (literally in this case), regardless of whether they learn more that would change their conclusions. I retain a hope that if people keep seeing facts, then they can keep weighing the data, and at some point they can be rational and change their minds without believing that it's a loss of pride to do so. I think it's a great sign of intelligence to do that.
[Reply]
Page 3742 of 3903
« First < 2742324236423692373237383739374037413742 3743374437453746375237923842 > Last »
Up