ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3702 of 3903
« First < 2702320236023652369236983699370037013702 3703370437053706371237523802 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Fat Elvis 10:15 PM 08-28-2021
Originally Posted by carlos3652:
The blame game has multiple layers.

Hospitals trusted to budget / plan based on the data they were provided. In March they were told vaccinated people would not get sick or transmit the virus. They were also basing it on the RO of 2.5 / 4 that the original strain / alpha had.

Here comes delta and screwed everyone.

Vaccines don’t stop transmission (thankfully they curve serious illness)
R0 of 8 comes along sweeping up what didn’t get sick in the past 12 months
Staffing Burnt out
Staffing Fired due to mandates

The influx is the same as it was last summer, they had a backlog of people that were put on a waiting list for selective surgery.

It’s a combination of things - there is plenty of blame to go around.

Science changes, data changes… and we acted like the vaccines would be a magical bullet. It was sold that way all the way to the President (not political as it didn’t matter who the prez was) and that messaging killed us.

You see, that's the thing...the vaccine *has* been a magic bullet especially when you look at it in terms of hospitalizations and death.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:28 PM 08-28-2021
The blame game has multiple layers.

Hospitals trusted to budget / plan based on the data they were provided. In March they were told vaccinated people would not get sick or transmit the virus. They were also basing it on the RO of 2.5 / 4 that the original strain / alpha had.

Here comes delta and screwed everyone.

Vaccines don’t stop transmission (thankfully they curve serious illness)
R0 of 8 comes along sweeping up what didn’t get sick in the past 12 months
Staffing Burnt out
Staffing Fired due to mandates

The influx is the same as it was last summer, they had a backlog of people that were put on a waiting list for selective surgery.

It’s a combination of things - there is plenty of blame to go around.

Science changes, data changes… and we acted like the vaccines would be a magical bullet. It was sold that way all the way to the President (not political as it didn’t matter who the prez was) and that messaging killed us.
Are you suggesting if hospitals knew there was going to be another surge, they would have prepared for it and would have been better off?
[Reply]
Katipan 06:45 AM 08-29-2021
Originally Posted by jdubya:
This is a cool "what if" that has nothing to do with reality.

If you are a fan of punishing unstable covid patients because they weren't vaccinated, fine.
You've chucked homie that works at an unsafe job into the same pile as someone who decides to smoke.

Not sure I care for your triage either.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:24 AM 08-29-2021
Originally Posted by jdubya:
We are not in DC where I would expect this response but good Lord man...this is significantly unintelligent. That is what you think I was trying to say? Really?
I am not the one trying to equate motorcycle accidents to COVID patients when it comes to their burden on the medical system.
[Reply]
loochy 08:37 AM 08-29-2021
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:
You see, that's the thing...the vaccine *has* been a magic bullet especially when you look at it in terms of hospitalizations and death.
The only way a vaccine can work is if people take it
[Reply]
emaw1979 08:41 AM 08-29-2021
My brother-in-law and sister-in-law have been diagnosed with COVID. Their 1-year-old has been diagnosed with RSV.

Our toddler had RSV when he was around the same age and I couldn't imagine being sick at the same time with COVID. We had some sleepless nights in a recliner while he slept on our chests.
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:56 AM 08-29-2021
Originally Posted by Katipan:
You've chucked homie that works at an unsafe job into the same pile as someone who decides to smoke.

Not sure I care for your triage either.
Yeah, it's not some made up hypothetical game of faceless/nameless patients. People are already being 'punished', it's just that IMO it's far better to at least have some sort of criteria beyond "you don't get a bed because you'll probably die sooner", because healthcare in America isn't a triage tent.

We're currently living in a world where cancer patient goes home early because someone didn't get vaccinated, yet the flip side is other people have been waiting in line for elective surgeries for over a year, but unvaccinated people who can't breathe on their own need vents.

End of the day, we can all take sides on an internet message board and fall asleep at night.... but, whether you empathize or simply realize we're all one car accident or heart attack or "hold my beer" away from needing a hospital bed that may not be available, I would think everyone can agree this is fucked up.
[Reply]
carlos3652 09:27 AM 08-29-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Are you suggesting if hospitals knew there was going to be another surge, they would have prepared for it and would have been better off?
100%

The whole point of the lockdowns in 2020 was to allow the hospitals to not be overwhelmed by allowing them time to ramp up and deal with the amount of people they were having to take care of.

A lot of the deaths were due to overwhelming the hospitals as they did not have the capacity to handle surge.

This surge isn’t even as bad as winter and the hospitals can’t handle it? More then 70% of the adult population is vaccinated at this time also.
[Reply]
LTL 10:23 AM 08-29-2021
100%

The whole point of the lockdowns in 2020 was to allow the hospitals to not be overwhelmed by allowing them time to ramp up and deal with the amount of people they were having to take care of.

A lot of the deaths were due to overwhelming the hospitals as they did not have the capacity to handle surge.

This surge isn’t even as bad as winter and the hospitals can’t handle it? More then 70% of the adult population is vaccinated at this time also.
Staffing is a major issue within the hospitals. You can have the space and resources to take care of people but but if you don't have the staffing it won't matter. Nurses and support staff have left the hospital for a variety reasons. More are still leaving n when the void that they have left is bigger than what you have to fill it it creates problems.

2 or 3 months ago their was a tweet posted from mercy hospital in Springfield from the CEO basically begging for help from nurses respiratory therapist n other staff. Our CEO went on TV doing basically the same thing. We have beds sitting empty because their isn't the staff to open them.
[Reply]
loochy 10:58 AM 08-29-2021
supply and demand

Want more staff? Pay them more. There WILL be a tipping point where people will be willing to work. If the hospitals are as full as they say they are, money should be flying into the system.
[Reply]
Monticore 11:07 AM 08-29-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
supply and demand

Want more staff? Pay them more. There WILL be a tipping point where people will be willing to work. If the hospitals are as full as they say they are, money should be flying into the system.
Depends on your hospital systems, I assume hospitals dealing with high COVID volumes are probably making less money than they would with high turnover elective surgeries. It also takes time to train some random nurse into an ICU nurse and programs (schools)are set up for normal demand for nurses. For some extra money isn’t work the stress or risks.
[Reply]
eDave 11:18 AM 08-29-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
supply and demand

Same goes for all these low paying jobs that are going unfilled. It's a general strike.
[Reply]
Bearcat 11:29 AM 08-29-2021
100%

Originally Posted by LTL:
Staffing is a major issue within the hospitals. You can have the space and resources to take care of people but but if you don't have the staffing it won't matter. Nurses and support staff have left the hospital for a variety reasons. More are still leaving n when the void that they have left is bigger than what you have to fill it it creates problems.

2 or 3 months ago their was a tweet posted from mercy hospital in Springfield from the CEO basically begging for help from nurses respiratory therapist n other staff. Our CEO went on TV doing basically the same thing. We have beds sitting empty because their isn't the staff to open them.
Yeah, that was my thought as well... the question becomes, had they known another surge was coming, what could have been done?

There's the issue of equipment and space, which seems minor compared to staff. But then... does every hospital in the country prepare? There were already mask shortages and other shortages last year.... ramping up production with another potential surge could be possible, but to what extent?

And even if you have more staff that require tons of training, you still need doctors and nurses.

Not to say you're completely wrong... i'm sure there are things that could be done to prepare and maybe some hospitals went back to normal while others were still cautious. And it's not like we're talking about building a bunch of new buildings or thousands of beds... yet, some areas are having to turn parking garage space into ICU units.

Definitely a complicated issue made worse by pre-Covid burnout, rural hospitals going under, staffing issues, etc.
[Reply]
Monticore 11:32 AM 08-29-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Same goes for all these low paying jobs that are going unfilled. It's a general strike.

Out of the 100 or so nurses that work at my hospital I would maybe guess less than 10 would have the skill set and maybe less than 5 would have the qualifications to work in a large hospital ICU , our ER nurses bring in 110-125k a year it would take a significant bump for them to consider a change to an even higher stress environment during a pandemic.
[Reply]
carlos3652 11:46 AM 08-29-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:

Not to say you're completely wrong... i'm sure there are things that could be done to prepare and maybe some hospitals went back to normal while others were still cautious. And it's not like we're talking about building a bunch of new buildings or thousands of beds... yet, some areas are having to turn parking garage space into ICU units.

Definitely a complicated issue made worse by pre-Covid burnout, rural hospitals going under, staffing issues, etc.
This is 100% complicated, with 100 different reasons as to why it could of been handled better. My point that I’m trying to make is that we don’t hear about all of this, it’s not even talked about. All that is talked about is that the unvaxxed caused this, even though they are now in the minority.

I’m also arm chair, day after quarterbacking - so it’s obvious now while I do think the messaging in March was unicorns and rainbows with the vaccine rollout. While 70% didn’t happen by July 4th, we are there now.

I also don’t think firing nurses / doctors or staff was smart either when you lack staffing due to 100 other reasons (burn out, sick, etc) but what do I know.

School boards still have outdated policies regarding vaccinated teachers and students and those haven’t been updated. We are in for another long winter I’m afraid. We could all be vaccinated by then and I don’t think it will matter, everyone will need their 3rd dose or 4th if we are doing it every 5 months (based on Israel’s and the administration’s conversation on Friday)

CDC and the WHO are not even on the same page when it comes to boosters so it will be interesting how this gets handled.
[Reply]
Page 3702 of 3903
« First < 2702320236023652369236983699370037013702 3703370437053706371237523802 > Last »
Up