ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 29
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Media Center>So....Dune 2020. Cool?
Amnorix 03:03 PM 08-19-2019
I learned today for the first time that a remake of the awesome book (and decidedly less awesome early 80s movie) Dune is being made, and is currently in post-production with a release date of December 18, 2020.

The cast includes many I don't know, but the ones I do know seem excellent for their roles. It's damn near a Marvel reunion...

Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho (the swordmaster of House Atreides)

Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck (weaponsmaster of House Atreides, played memorably (and surprisingly) by Patrick Stewart in the original movie

Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen

Dave Bautista (better known as Drax the Destroyer) as "Beast" Rabban, the nephew of Harkonnen

The most critical guy -- the one playing Paul is unknown to me. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3154303/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t3

This film is also only going to cover the first half of the book, which is good. It's really not possible to cover the whole thing in one 2 or 3 hour movie.

Anyway -- I love the book and a really good film would be great. What say you about all this news? Or am I just the last to known (as would be typical, to be honest!)
[Reply]
Frazod 04:26 PM 10-18-2021
Originally Posted by Pants:
Same. I'm seeing this bad boy in IMAX. No way around it.

Not sure if you have seen this yet, Frazod, but movie critics who also happen to be giant fans of the book absolutely LOVE the film.
Thursday at 7:00. :-)
[Reply]
Fish 05:06 PM 10-18-2021
So, there's already a 1080p version floating around the wild. That's surprising.
[Reply]
Shoes 05:38 PM 10-18-2021
Also got tickets for the first time in forever. Looking forward to the IMAX experience.
[Reply]
Graystoke 07:03 PM 10-18-2021
I won’t be going on opening night but I got this film targeted.
Pretty excited
[Reply]
Fish 08:33 PM 10-18-2021
I couldn't resist. Just finished it. Very well done. Expectations were pretty high, and it still exceeded them. I had no idea this wasn't telling the complete story and was only considered part 1. So, that was an unexpected surprise. All in all, I came away very entertained. Definitely going to follow it up seeing this on the big screen as well.

Lots of potential for the next film.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:55 PM 10-18-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
I couldn't resist. Just finished it. Very well done. Expectations were pretty high, and it still exceeded them. I had no idea this wasn't telling the complete story and was only considered part 1. So, that was an unexpected surprise. All in all, I came away very entertained. Definitely going to follow it up seeing this on the big screen as well.

Lots of potential for the next film.
That's the right way to do it - there's just too much content for a standard length movie.

I am kind of surprised that they didn't shoot both parts at the same time, though.
[Reply]
Fish 10:12 PM 10-18-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
That's the right way to do it - there's just too much content for a standard length movie.

I am kind of surprised that they didn't shoot both parts at the same time, though.
I didn't figure it out until about half way through the movie that there was no way in hell they could finish the story from this point on in a single film. Didn't really read a lot into it beforehand to realize it was intended to be just the first 1/2 of the story. Was surprised to find that even though this was a huge big budget picture, the 2nd movie isn't even guaranteed as of yet. After seeing this, there's no way in hell they don't make a sequel. (I'd even love to see them break it into 3 movies Peter Jackson style... )

The atmosphere is great, mostly all good performances from the lead cast. Really dark and gritty. Lots of well done fight scenes. Which is why I want to watch it in a theater even after seeing it once. Movie finished with me wanting to watch the next part right fucking now...
[Reply]
Frazod 10:23 PM 10-18-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
I didn't figure it out until about half way through the movie that there was no way in hell they could finish the story from this point on in a single film. Didn't really read a lot into it beforehand to realize it was intended to be just the first 1/2 of the story. Was surprised to find that even though this was a huge big budget picture, the 2nd movie isn't even guaranteed as of yet. After seeing this, there's no way in hell they don't make a sequel. (I'd even love to see them break it into 3 movies Peter Jackson style... )

The atmosphere is great, mostly all good performances from the lead cast. Really dark and gritty. Lots of well done fight scenes. Which is why I want to watch it in a theater even after seeing it once. Movie finished with me wanting to watch the next part right fucking now...
I guess the only surprise I've got coming is at what point in the story they decide to end it.

And yes, it's going to suck having to wait another three or four years for the second part. Again, they should have shot both at the same time. :-)
[Reply]
listopencil 03:09 AM 10-19-2021
Glad you enjoyed it. I realize there are ways I could watch it now if I wanted to, but I've got my tickets and am very much looking forward to actually going to a movie theater again.

Besides, I already know everything that's going to happen. :-)
I believe that this is worth seeing in a theater. The visuals were stunning. They broke the story off at a good part, and they really packed a lot into this movie. There was no part that dragged. None. It's 2.5 hours long and I wish it were 5. Your love of the source material should get you through that bit of exposition at the very beginning. There were a handful of scenes that I would have liked to have seen edited slightly differently but that's a quibble.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:53 AM 10-20-2021
Going Saturday
[Reply]
Frazod 12:11 PM 10-20-2021
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I believe that this is worth seeing in a theater. The visuals were stunning. They broke the story off at a good part, and they really packed a lot into this movie. There was no part that dragged. None. It's 2.5 hours long and I wish it were 5. Your love of the source material should get you through that bit of exposition at the very beginning. There were a handful of scenes that I would have liked to have seen edited slightly differently but that's a quibble.
Pretty sure I already know the two aspects that will piss me off - turning Liet into a woman :-) and them not getting the melange-addicted eyes correct. But I've had months to brace myself, so it should be all good. :-)
[Reply]
Valiant 04:15 PM 10-20-2021
Originally Posted by sully1983:
This is definitely good to hear.
I'm obviously no box office expert here but how much do you think DUNE will have to make in order for Warner Bros to green light part 2?

I honestly have no clue. Damn where's that Dane guy when you need him lol
Well since they didn't film back to back I am guessing 800million plus considering how much the movie costs to make.
[Reply]
unlurking 06:54 PM 10-20-2021
Originally Posted by Valiant:
Well since they didn't film back to back I am guessing 800million plus considering how much the movie costs to make.
$129M so far, before China and US opening this week.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/...?ref_=bo_gr_ti
[Reply]
listopencil 03:57 AM 10-21-2021
turning Liet into a woman :-)

I will say that the actress had a very strong screen presence. She was believable.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:11 AM 10-21-2021
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I will say that the actress had a very strong screen presence. She was believable.
I'm glad for that, but it just seems unnecessary. Dune is not exactly lacking for strong female characters.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 29
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Up