ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2601 of 3903
« First < 1601210125012551259125972598259926002601 260226032604260526112651270131013601 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:00 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
Your children's lives aren't the ones you should be concerned about with this thing (not that you shouldn't be concerned about your children in general, but you get what I'm saying).
I'm Pro science: Years of physics, chemistry and biology in both high school and college. I used to read science journals, I've read every book by Carl Sagan and other astronomers and physicists. I'm not Anti-Intellectual in any way, shape or form.

BUT, the information provided to us by the world's leading scientists has been changing rapidly.

No masks, followed by MASKS FOR ALL!

This drug works! Ooops, no it doesn't! YES, it does! No, it doesn't!

It won't kill young people, just the elderly with pre-existing conditions. Oops! It just killed a bunch of people in their 40's and 50's!

It's not airborne. Oops, it IS airborne! No, it's not airborne. So on and so forth.

So, with this being the case, there's not a chance in hell that any graph, flow chart or "study" is going to convince me that it's "safe" to send MY children back to their respective schools, with each campus filled with more than 1,200 people, many of whom live in multi-generational homes.

I am more than happy to wait until it's been absolutely proven that no harm will come from sending them back into that type of environment when online school, at least for us, has been a raring success.
[Reply]
Pants 03:10 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Are you familiar with Bret Weinstein?
I am familiar with him from the JRE. I have not heard him discuss this, but I also believe it to be the case.

I read an article about the super abnormal length of the hook that binds the virus to the receptors on our cells.

I can't remember all the details but I came away more convinced that it was a virus manipulated by China in order to be weaponized.

It escaped due to institutional negligence in the lab and a dumbass lab employee.
[Reply]
dirk digler 03:11 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Saw briefly that the CDC is saying this fall is going to be a real mother****er.

He also said Masks are the key to reopening schools.
[Reply]
DaFace 03:12 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I'm Pro science: Years of physics, chemistry and biology in both high school and college. I used to read science journals, I've read every book by Carl Sagan and other astronomers and physicists. I'm not Anti-Intellectual in any way, shape or form.

BUT, the information provided to us by the world's leading scientists has been changing rapidly.

No masks, followed by MASKS FOR ALL!

This drug works! Ooops, no it doesn't! YES, it does! No, it doesn't!

It won't kill young people, just the elderly with pre-existing conditions. Oops! It just killed a bunch of people in their 40's and 50's!

It's not airborne. Oops, it IS airborne! No, it's not airborne. So on and so forth.

So, with this being the case, there's not a chance in hell that any graph, flow chart or "study" is going to convince me that it's "safe" to send MY children back to their respective schools, with each campus filled with more than 1,200 people, many of whom live in multi-generational homes.

I am more than happy to wait until it's been absolutely proven that no harm will come from sending them back into that type of environment when online school, at least for us, has been a raring success.
It's the consequences of the changing age. Science has always worked this way, but people haven't had access to information until it was vetted and printed in journals. With this, people need any tiny bit of information they can get, and they need it as soon as it's available. But that means that preliminary findings which would not have been public in the past are put out there and treated as gospel.

"Science" hasn't changed. The speed at which shaky data becomes public has.
[Reply]
loochy 03:12 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
... it was a virus manipulated by China...

It escaped due to institutional negligence in the lab and a dumbass lab employee.

To me, that seems like the most feasible explanation, even before listening to this.

And, quite frankly, if this is what we got from an escaped weaponized virus then we should count ourselves lucky because it could have been soooo much worse.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:15 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
"Science" hasn't changed. The speed at which shaky data becomes public has.
And don't forget that disparagement and shaming is the exciting new spectator bloodsport.
[Reply]
eDave 03:17 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
And don't forget that disparagement and shaming is the exciting new spectator bloodsport.
And which group is that?
[Reply]
Pants 03:18 PM 07-14-2020
To me, that seems like the most feasible explanation, even before listening to this.

And, quite frankly, if this is what we got from an escaped weaponized virus then we should count ourselves lucky because it could have been soooo much worse.
It also explains why China kept it under wraps as they were mobilizing to contain this motherfucker. They probably didn't know what exactly escaped, but they knew it wasn't going to be good.

Does anyone remember any of those early articles/blogs from Westerners describing the quarantine measures China implemented to keep this at bay? Every single individual was literally color coded and locked away. Nobody could go anywhere. It was brutal and brutally effective.

THIS IS ALL PURE CONJECTURE, but I personally believe that's what happened.
[Reply]
Monticore 03:18 PM 07-14-2020
Your children's lives aren't the ones you should be most concerned about with this thing (not that you shouldn't be concerned about your children in general, but you get what I'm saying).

This is Provisional COVID Death Counts in the US by Age as of 7/8/20:

15-24: 331 deaths
5-14: 28 deaths
1-4: 14 deaths
Under 1: 18 deaths

Flu deaths are actually significantly higher until we get to the 15-24 age range.

https://data.cdc.gov/d/9bhg-hcku/visualization
Any data on getting both flu and covid at the same time, not trying to be a dick just curious if people have actually looked into it.
[Reply]
sedated 03:19 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
And which group is that?
Both groups
[Reply]
sedated 03:20 PM 07-14-2020
It also explains why China kept it under wraps as they were mobilizing to contain this mother****er. They probably didn't know what exactly escaped, but they knew it wasn't going to be good.

Does anyone remember any of those early articles/blogs from Westerners describing the quarantine measures China implemented to keep this at bay? Every single individual was literally color coded and locked away. Nobody could go anywhere. It was brutal and brutally effective.

THIS IS ALL PURE CONJECTURE, but I personally believe that's what happened.
If so, why did it get out?
[Reply]
Pants 03:24 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
If so, why did it get out?
Brutally effective =/= perfect.

It's contained in Wuhan and China now, but it didn't go away immediately.
[Reply]
loochy 03:27 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Any data on getting both flu and covid at the same time, not trying to be a dick just curious if people have actually looked into it.

I haven't seen any. I'm guessing if a COVID comes back positive then they don't follow up with an influenza, and vice versa. JFC man, talk about hell on earth there. Add in some strep and mono to the covid induced pneumonia and some flu....woooweee that sounds fun!
[Reply]
loochy 03:29 PM 07-14-2020
Brutally effective =/= perfect.

It's contained in Wuhan and China now, but it didn't go away immediately.

How well would a virus such as this survive extreme heat....say between 50 and 150 million degrees Fahrenheit? :-) Asking for a friend...
[Reply]
Donger 03:44 PM 07-14-2020
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/14/healt...udy/index.html

(CNN)A Covid-19 vaccine developed by the biotechnology company Moderna in partnership with the National Institutes of Health has been found to induce immune responses in all of the volunteers who received it in a Phase 1 study.

These early results, published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Tuesday, showed that the vaccine worked to trigger an immune response with mild side effects -- fatigue, chills, headache, muscle pain, pain at the injection site -- becoming the first US vaccine candidate to publish results in a peer-reviewed medical journal.

The vaccine is expected to begin later this month a large Phase 3 trial -- the final trial stage before regulators consider whether to make the vaccine available.
[Reply]
Page 2601 of 3903
« First < 1601210125012551259125972598259926002601 260226032604260526112651270131013601 > Last »
Up